So Um....part 2

This is a good thread. And while Last may be bitching, I think I have to agree with him.

There's no one here, because there isn't much here for them. People want an alternative to the MLG/GB bs, they want to play socom and feel like they're a part of something more than just the in game ladder ranking spew. But I think the nature of this community is too exclusive, condescending, and rigid for the majority of that audience to be interested.

First of all, I'd like to say, that everyone is actually very nice here, and I truly believe you have a good group of people. My criticisms are not reflective of individuals here at UF, but more of the aggregate environment that the community as a whole has generated. My 2 cents as an outsider looking in.

1. UF is a good ol' boys club. The old guys playing cards in the bar at the country club or elks lodge. Its a controlled environment where they don't have to deal with the young whippersnappers. It's boring, its hard to break into, and the motivation to do so is low.

2. UF has too many rules. You can hardly make a post without breaking a rule. Its fascist the way things are edited and filtered around here. Its intimidating to the average user, you constantly feel like you might get slapped on the wrist or banned. Its not a welcoming feeling, in fact I feel like I'm out after curfew just writing this right now.

3. Everything is very procedural, nothing is intuitive, simple, or spontaneous. You suffer from major over complicatedness. The clan war concept is a pretty simple idea, 8 people play a video game against 8 other people. Having a way to compete and be a part of UF easily and spontaneously I think would go a long way in making this place more active. Otherwise people will just get pick up wars in the game, rather than deal with the process it takes to be involved here.

4. No one is having any fun, this place is all business. Its a place for clans that are run like businesses. Just talking about this on a Sunday feels like I'm being a work-a-holic, by spending time on my hobby. We need a little more comedy around here.

Hi voltage, there are a few guys here that can handle how things are and how they are ran, with no problems. I don't get how people can come here and bitch and figure that would give new results. More times then not it doesn't work

That's the point he's trying to make there red. There are 5 clans that come here and post at UF, most people don't say two words because there either afraid of not becoming "UF approved" or simple think there words will fall on deaf ears so why waste their time.

Edited by Last-

I think you are putting words in other peoples mouths there. I don't know who is intimidated by this place. The only thread modifications or "filtering" I have seen is deucebags coming in with their new tournaments or talking shit.

You have not been censored. So I don;t see how the rules are so "Fascist", as he has said. I don't see how the UF staff or directors are creating this oppressive environment. All these guys are just gamers just like you and me. I find it entertaining when guys think of them as more then that.

The only difference is these guys try desperately to please the masses and all I see lately is you giving your "criticism", I quote that because it is loosely termed.

As far as falling on deaf ears, all the complaining you are doing does nothing for the point. If a tournament is brought forward, I don't think many clans if any at all are going to play in it. Won't be the directors fault, it will be because no one wants to play this game in a competitive fashion in the form it is now.

I still can't see how you can blame these guys for so much when it is out of their control. If it isn't tournaments, it is how the forums are run. If it isn't this it is that. Take in mind your old clan was salvaged becuase of these guys, and now what is left of it is now free to play here. It cost this community 2 good clans and 1 not so good clan.

So do you see that as a good trade off? I hope it is. Right now with how much you are beating down everything that is done here I am leaning toward the latter.

Edited by Red0ctobeR
  • Like 1

I'm trying to understand where you are coming from with some of your thoughts there but I think I'm missing something Voltage. I think what you see as an elitist club is more of just a tight knit community. Most of the clans here have been playing with/against each other for a long time now. I've never seen any clan turned away here. As for the complicated rules I don't think they are that bad but that is just my opinion. I've never had any problems nor have my clans in the 6 years I've been playing here. I'm sure it is a drastic change coming from a GB community or somewhere like that but once your acclimated to the community here I think it will be hard to find a better one around.

I personally appreciate that Voltage's post expressed his opinion in a manner that is much more mature than what I've witnessed by others. And while one may not agree with what he is saying, so long as people are respectful and not openly hostile or just plain rude, there is nothing wrong with a little constructive criticism. I think the habitual DESTRUCTIVE criticism of UF by some is what "the community" does not tolerate or appreciate.

I've read the responses.

Yes fascist was overkill, I'm sorry I said that. Not what I really meant.

I was just pointing out reasons that I believe drive people away from UF, rather than pull them in. Yes some people can handle it, and have for the past 5 years.

It is a tight knit community, and a good one at that. If you want to talk in the forums with the same thirty people for the next 5 years -- don't change a thing.

I think there's potential here for more than that, but its not being realized because it means changing how things are done.

It is a tight knit community, and a good one at that. If you want to talk in the forums with the same thirty people for the next 5 years -- don't change a thing.

While some change is not only good, but necessary, some changes can be detrimental to the fabric of the community.

The people who are currently doing the most complaining are those who the changes effect them on a personal level.

Sent from Galaxy class phone NC-1701

The people who are currently doing the most complaining are those who the changes effect them on a personal level.

Sorry, I don't understand this sentence. I think you're getting at the idea that too much change will compromise what this place is all about.

Agreed. From what I gather UF has a set of values that makes it what it is. I don't think you should kill that, just pick spots in the infrastructure where you can relax things a little bit for the sake of simplicity and fun.

I'll stop sharing my thoughts on this sort of stuff after this, as it seems to just come off as complaining. Its not really my place to change how things get done, I'm not invested in it, and no one asked me anyway.

So Um....forget it.