Are Games Becoming the Scape Goat for Tragedy

First of all our thoughts and prayers go out to the victim’s, families and the Newtown, CT community in the wake of events that happened yesterday morning.

As the media have started to analyze what lead up to this horrific event, the blame game has already began. National Media are already honing in on the gaming habits of the man behind the shooting. While I am no expert, I can tell you as an avid gamer I am not going around planning on how to destroy a classroom of helpless children because I spend 20 to 30 hours a week playing games such as Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, and Monopoly.

mw-3-shoot-500x278.jpg

While I do agree that the rating system has flaws, just as it is in all entertainment, it is the parents that are responsible for following these ratings. And to be honest the parents really are not telling their kids no when it comes to a title rated M for mature such as Call of Duty. Even while at our local GameStop event here in West Texas, there were plenty of kids under 17 picking up their games with parents and guardians.

Now Call of Duty sold over 500,000 copies in the first week of sales, but do we see a half million players causing a tragedy such as this? No, tragic events are not the fault of games being released, they are at the fault of the person that is holding the guns. Could there be some factors from a game that contribute to the state of mind of this person, sure it is possible.

Events like this trigger a gut reaction such as Gun Control, Removing Games from Shelves, etc. It is exactly that a gut reaction. Are there changes that should be made in the aftermath of a tragedy like this? Of course, we always learn from these events and make improvements to prevent events such as these.

At the end of the day as an owner and member of a Gaming Community that is heavily involved with games rated M for Mature, our community is built around a motto of “Win with Honor, Lose with Dignity†instilling sportsmanship and respect in gaming.

I learned my gun skills in the Boy Scouts and US Navy, not playing a game. How do you feel about this? Do you think games are in the crossfires for the wrong reasons?

View the full article