Xbox One Reactions

• Directors

Ok so a day later the gaming media has had a field day, we have found out some disturbing features like pay to play used games and you have to connect via the internet at least once a day...

So for all of you XBox guys, is this going to be your next system or is this XBox Gone?

• Directors

I wouldn't put it passed microsloth to make it big purely to resell the device again later in a smaller chassis because ps3 has a history of successfully doing it with the slim.

I watched the release. I was curious about the xbox. when it was over, I went into the living room, and I looked at what I had there. I have a Samsung smart tv. it has Netflix and hulu on it, it has a list of my favorite shows, and it also has a screen on screen that will display my facebook, twitter, or any other social feeds of my choosing. with my cable, I can record shows, get movies on demand, search for damn near anything. only thing I cant do is talk to it and tell it to change channels. I do have a remote though, saving me the effort of making sounds by allowing me to stay perched on my ass and move only one finger at a time. so it seems I already have an xbox one in my living room. oh, wait. I forgot, you can play games on the xbox one. that's good, because im pretty sure that is why I watched the reveal. to check out the future of gaming. thank god they showed that little blip of forza cutscenes, and gave Extremely Atrocious Sports a few minutes of promo time. im a gamer, and im going to play games. im going to play single player OFFLINE, im going to trade old games for used games, and im going to continue doing it on my ps3 and soon enough, my ps4

• Like 1

I like Xbox better hands down. Better connection, better competition, and a more successful gaming community (not to dog on anyone on ps3 but its true). That's why I game. To compete against the best and ps3s a good system but the Xbox 360 was specifically designed for shooters and I would not expect anything less from the Xbox one

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

• Directors
I like Xbox better hands down. Better connection, better competition, and a more successful gaming community (not to dog on anyone on ps3 but its true). That's why I game. To compete against the best and ps3s a good system but the Xbox 360 was specifically designed for shooters and I would not expect anything less from the Xbox one

Did you watch the press conference?

• Directors
Yessir

Then we must not have been watching the same press conference... Look I am not an XBox hater by any means, but myself along with every other professional in the gaming industry just did a double take.

Now even though for the last few months the inner circles have been discussing about the entertainment route and cable box aspects of the new XBox... but to put gaming in the back seat was not the expectation at all.

As for communities, the only reason that the competitive gaming side is more active has to do with the millions of dollars Microsoft has pumped into it. If PS would have spent all of the money it would be there as well.

But that is not what this topic is about, this is about the XBox One...

Let's recap the features:

• Mandatory Installs
  • Fee to play used games
  • No using your game at a friends house
  • Internet connection required (online at least once a day)
  • It might play games (just kidding but no longer the primary focus)

That is just the beginning.

For Urgent Fury, MLG, Etc... the internet connectivity issue is one of the biggest issues with Live Events... It is not conducive to LAN Play anymore

I never once heard that Internet connection was REQUIRED during the conference. In fact I heard the exact opposite. I specifically remember the president if Microsoft entertainment saying "active online will NOT be a part of Xbox one" (I may have missed a few words but that was the quote for the most part).

As far as games having to be installed, so what? They are giving you 500GB HDD right out the get go with 8GB of RAM. each game is anywhere from 5GB to 30GB. you will have PLENTY of room.

The whole "you can't play the games at a friends house" is totally not true. You can still play them, you just have to pay a fee. Big whoop. I personally don't care. I don't bring my games to friends houses anyways. You know how you get around that? Take your Xbox with you.

Lastly, ask any professional call of duty which console is better competitively. Every single one has said XBOX. FeaR Assass1n even said that if black ops 1 wasn't on the circuit for ps3, he wouldn't even own one. Microsoft shelling out money has 0% to do with it. You can even tell which console was made for shooter just by looking at the controllers.

Anyways, sorry I went on a little rant but back to the topic. I never said that Xbox one was gonna be a great system without supporting it. I simply gave my opinion why I would rather have the Xbox over the play station. Plus, Xbox customer service is way superior.

No most likely not. They would either 1) give you a redeem code to download it or 2) since its using a cloud based network you may just be able to download it off your profile

Cloud only contains game saves and achievements doesnt it?

Redeem codes would be cool. Thousands of people scamming Microsoft to get codes to play used games for free lol

The cloud theory was merely a suggestion. But they wouldn't scam you like that. There's probably something set in place for things such as that. If that were the case then I would be pissed

• Directors

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/xbox-one-what-we-do-and-dont-know

Ok so here is a good wrap up:

Your game sizes are a little off, they will be up to 80 gig so 500gb will not be that much. And you cannot upgrade your harddrive so you will have to add the latency of USB hard drives to the picture pretty quickly.

And both systems have 8gb... PS3 has DDR5 and XB1 has DDR3

I have let friends borrow games on many occasions to check out a game, that is how they decide if they are going to buy it or not, or gamefly, redbox, etc think of all of the users that will affect as well as used games. (I am not too upset about the used games but that is how many afford to get games)

The whole controller was designed for FPS games does not fly with me, are you trying to tell me that because I prefer a ps controller personally I cannot play an FPS? That make no sense, the competitors go where the money is, that is why we have so many of the XBox guys contacting us about Chicago saying why is it not for XBox.

Either way what I am saying is, there is about to be a pretty big shift in gaming since XBox has shifted its primary focus. Only time will tell... we have full intentions on the UF on Tour to transition to PS4 next.

• Directors
The cloud theory was merely a suggestion. But they wouldn't scam you like that. There's probably something set in place for things such as that. If that were the case then I would be pissed

Not sure what you mean is the theory, they have full intention for there to be cloud usage by the games. Urgent Fury uses Office 365 Cloud services already.

First I would like to point out how your logical fallacy of "since you said that Xbox controllers were made specifically for shooters, your saying I can't play shooter" is a complete avoidance of my argument. Halo MADE Xbox. They even said it in the conference. They also say how it influenced the designs in the system and the controller. A trigger is supposed to be shaped like a controller and that's why the Xbox controller has triggers because its made primarily for shooters.

Now, onto the second point, yes players go where the money is but that is still avoiding my argument. You did not explain at all why Xbox was so preferred while I have an example. Xbox was used yes because Xbox paid but also because the players preferred it. Black ops 1 and mw2 were on ps3 competitively and they had to sign a contract and every body wanted Xbox back.

Now games will NOT be ANYWHERE near 80GB. http://n4g.com/news/1115858/black-ops-2-pc-retail-on-two-discs-15-to-16-gb-in-size like i said. Between 5gb and 30gb is the current size of games with few exceptions. The next gen consoles will still be using blu-ray the the game sizes won't be much higher if at all.

Like I said, Xbox has better connection, and more competitiveness in the community. I will most likely but it first and make my final judgement but its a preference on which console you like best but these are the facts. You can't argue facts because you have a different console preference.

Now, I do believe that many of the features are unnecessary but still cool to have none the less. They mainly put those in there because everyone is asking for MORE MORE MORE! Now you don't know that their focus has changed. You're going based off of one conference that was about the unveiling of the console and its capabilities not the games it could play. It's a business technique. Can't blame them for that.

End of story.

• Directors
First I would like to point out how your logical fallacy of "since you said that Xbox controllers were made specifically for shooters, your saying I can't play shooter" is a complete avoidance of my argument. Halo MADE Xbox. They even said it in the conference. They also say how it influenced the designs in the system and the controller. A trigger is supposed to be shaped like a controller and that's why the Xbox controller has triggers because its made primarily for shooters.

Let me fortify my statement about the controller, the PS controller came along first and they stuck with the concept improving it each time... but what I got out of your statement is because the PS controller was not designed around FPS then I should be playing the xbox. I cannot hold an xbox controller comfortably, most likely because I have been playing with a PS style controller for more years than the XBox controller has been in existence.

As for the triggers, not sure what you mean by its supposed to be shaped like a controller...

Now, onto the second point, yes players go where the money is but that is still avoiding my argument. You did not explain at all why Xbox was so preferred while I have an example. Xbox was used yes because Xbox paid but also because the players preferred it. Black ops 1 and mw2 were on ps3 competitively and they had to sign a contract and every body wanted Xbox back.

My point about competitive gaming is MS has paid for many of these events. They put up the $$ for events like the Activision event and such. So that is where the gamers have gone for COD. I am not surprised that the XBox Players wanted COD tournaments to come back to XBox when it switched to PS3... its would be the same thing for the Fighting Game Tourneys at MLG if they switched to XBox from PS3. Everybody is a bit too general, a more accurate statement would have been the XBox competitors wanted XBox Back. Its happening to us now, the XBox competitors want us to change our event to XBox and we are not going to do it. Not because of our relationship to Sony but because our community is primarily PS3 players. Even with several attempts we have not had any success with XBox... partly because the lack of community members on XBox and frankly because of the lack of support from Microsoft in general. If we received the support like we do from Sony from other platforms, we would be able to build more on them.

We would not flat out say no to M$ if they offered us $1m to host a tourney for them... because the gamers will come. But there is a very large competitive side to PS3 as well... but due to the Activision/M$ relationship, there have not been very many options for Black Ops Players on PS3, we are having to self fund our event. And the PS3 players are ecstatic to finally have an event for them that has a payout on par with an MLG event.

Now games will NOT be ANYWHERE near 80GB. http://n4g.com/news/1115858/black-ops-2-pc-retail-on-two-discs-15-to-16-gb-in-size like i said. Between 5gb and 30gb is the current size of games with few exceptions. The next gen consoles will still be using blu-ray the the game sizes won't be much higher if at all.

There are more than a few exceptions, but even at 30gb that is no more than 16 games that can be installed... I have more games than that in my current PS3 collection from the last year. Even with all of the games I get with Plus, I blew through my 500gb and upped to a 1tb (for $79). 500gb will go quickly and a USB hardrive is a choking point in a system.

Like I said, Xbox has better connection, and more competitiveness in the community. I will most likely but it first and make my final judgement but its a preference on which console you like best but these are the facts. You can't argue facts because you have a different console preference.

The current XBox Network has been better in many cases, but we will not know for sure until we see what Sony has in store with the next gen PSN, they hinted to that in their conference as well that there will be a major upgrade along with the Gaiki service, so time will tell on that. And as for competitiveness, I think they are actually pretty close over all with both consoles and PC. I base this on what I see at the MLG events I attend, this years primary focus at MLG has actually been PC. But if I were to describe Anaheim and Dallas (Even with Halo), the floor was broken up into roughly 40% PC 40% PS3 and 20 % XBox... now Anaheim this year will have a larger XBox Presence for Black Ops 2 I believe, I am not sure as I will not be there this year because it is a week after E3 instead of the same week.

Now, I do believe that many of the features are unnecessary but still cool to have none the less. They mainly put those in there because everyone is asking for MORE MORE MORE! Now you don't know that their focus has changed. You're going based off of one conference that was about the unveiling of the console and its capabilities not the games it could play. It's a business technique. Can't blame them for that.

End of story.

My statement about the change of focus is based on all of the follow up interviews as well as their own site: http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

Editor’s Note: Today is an exciting day for Xbox. This morning we shared our vision for a new generation of games, TV and entertainment. We wanted to address some top questions we’ve seen from our fans, so here we go.

Internet connection required:

Q: Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?

A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet. We’re designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection.

Backwards Compatibility we all actually expected this:

Q: Will Xbox One be backward compatible with my existing games?

A: Xbox One hardware is not compatible with Xbox 360 games. We designed Xbox One to play an entirely new generation of games—games that are architected to take full advantage of state-of-the-art processors and the infinite power of the cloud. We care very much about the investment you have made in Xbox 360 and will continue to support it with a pipeline of new games and new apps well into the future.

I am a gamer, and I want to see consoles even the ones I am not going to get to be focused on the gamers.... all of the extra features still require internet connections to work and as many have noted it will be pretty much useless in the UK.

Its a shame I was hoping all of the cable box rumors that were floating around were just that, but it turns out this is heavily focused on TV and Entertainment with Gaming taking the back seat. Time will tell how this is going to affect live events especially with the lan events. But it is an all in one box as Major Nelson called it that everyone will want. But for the hundreds of thousands out there that do not have access to broadband because they live in a rural area or the are serving in the military, it looks like they will be forced to find an alternative.

I'd like to point put that the last question of the first Q&A even supports my statement. "The Xbox one requires Internet connection but we have implemented way for you to play games, watch tv and movies if you lose your connection. So I believe it's sad to say that you won't have to have Internet to play a single player game.

Secondly. You still haven't approached my fact of the PROFESSIONAL call of duty players that even said they preferred Xbox over ps3 because of the competition and the superior FPS system in general. Your argument of "the competition is relatively the same. Anaheim (and I dont know what year you were going off of) had a more percentage by twice as much as Xbox." We'll I'd like to point out that Anaheim 2013 hasn't happened yet, Anaheim 2012 didn't have COD and only had halo so the fact that you bring in other genres of games is irrelevant because we are talking about shooters and then Anaheim 2011 cod was on ps3.

Your post hoc logical fallacy of assuming that I said "well since you said Xbox controller was designed for shooters, that means I should be playing shooters on Xbox only" is such a ridiculous argument. It's a logical fallacy because you are assuming that since A came before B, A caused B which is not the case. You have every right to play shooters on whatever console. I give explanation for why Xbox is superior though. As far as the triggers, I said triggers are supposed to feel like triggers so that's why the Xbox controller is better for shooters.

I have always argued that shooters were better for Xbox and racing and fighting games were better for ps3. As far as your trouble grasping an Xbox controller, that is irrelevant as I've played exclusively playstation since I was about six (maybe younger) and didnt start playing Xbox until right before I turned 17. That far longer than since the Xbox came out and I have no trouble adapting.

Still your argument of "well Xbox players want the game back on their console and ps3 players would have the same reaction if their fighting and racing games were out on Xbox" is also irrelevant. I am specifically speaking of shooters and giving reasons why it's more competitive on Xbox.

• Directors
I'd like to point put that the last question of the first Q&A even supports my statement. "The Xbox one requires Internet connection but we have implemented way for you to play games, watch tv and movies if you lose your connection. So I believe it's sad to say that you won't have to have Internet to play a single player game.

http://www.gamertagradio.com/new/2013/05/episode-385-podcast-exclusive-aaron-greenberg-on-xbox-one/ Yesterday Danny asked Aaron Greenburg of XBox directly about this using the example of military personnel who do not have the option of accessing the internet regularly... his response in that situation you are better off using a 360 as the XBox One will not work for them.

Secondly. You still haven't approached my fact of the PROFESSIONAL call of duty players that even said they preferred Xbox over ps3 because of the competition and the superior FPS system in general. Your argument of "the competition is relatively the same. Anaheim (and I dont know what year you were going off of) had a more percentage by twice as much as Xbox." We'll I'd like to point out that Anaheim 2013 hasn't happened yet, Anaheim 2012 didn't have COD and only had halo so the fact that you bring in other genres of games is irrelevant because we are talking about shooters and then Anaheim 2011 cod was on ps3.

I have approached it, Professional COD players are only a small portion of Professional Gaming, but you treat them like they are the deciding factor of everything... I even stated that Halo was at Anaheim in my post, that is an FPS shooter... My point is you keep pointing out XBox is the preferred device for competitive gaming when at the the arena XBox as of the last year has actually not been the primary device... PC and PS3 has been. You have to admit that MLG is pretty much what sets the bar for Professional Gaming. I am not talking about Shooters specifically, you may be.

Your post hoc logical fallacy of assuming that I said "well since you said Xbox controller was designed for shooters, that means I should be playing shooters on Xbox only" is such a ridiculous argument. It's a logical fallacy because you are assuming that since A came before B, A caused B which is not the case. You have every right to play shooters on whatever console. I give explanation for why Xbox is superior though. As far as the triggers, I said triggers are supposed to feel like triggers so that's why the Xbox controller is better for shooters.

Your opinion is the XBox is superior so we will agree to disagree.

I have always argued that shooters were better for Xbox and racing and fighting games were better for ps3. As far as your trouble grasping an Xbox controller, that is irrelevant as I've played exclusively playstation since I was about six (maybe younger) and didnt start playing Xbox until right before I turned 17. That far longer than since the Xbox came out and I have no trouble adapting.

Still your argument of "well Xbox players want the game back on their console and ps3 players would have the same reaction if their fighting and racing games were out on Xbox" is also irrelevant. I am specifically speaking of shooters and giving reasons why it's more competitive on Xbox.

I am not talking specifically to Shooters and I think that is where we differ, there are more than just shooters... but my example was a comparison was not irrelevant, it was a simple point....

If you take the system a group of players have been using and change it, they are going to want to go back to their original system. That is a relevant point, it does not prove that one system is better or not, it proves that the group of players did not like the change and want it back to what they were used to.

Now I can almost guarantee that in the wake of XB1 which is the subject of all of this becomes inhibitive to the organizers of Competitive gaming, then everyone will have to move on.

And based on what Microsoft officials are saying, XBox 360 will have to continue as the device used for LAN events. Well that is fine for this coming season, but how long before the games are no longer available for 360.

So now back to the original topic... this is not a PS vs XBox thread this is about the new XBox One. Lets keep it on that subject.

I watched the reveal again last night, I read a bunch of articles on various gaming websites, then I saw an advertisement for gamefly on a banner. got me thinking, I rent a game, install it, then have to pay ms to play it. I send it back, and a week later shane rents the same game, and has to pay ms to play it. then he sends it back, and a third, fourth, and fifth person rent the same copy of the same game. so now 5 people have paid to play that game, that was purchased once by gamefly, and rental fee paid by myself, shane, and 3 other people. so does gamefly send you a special code with the game that allows you to play without paying? maybe a discount? or does gamefly take a huge hit in memberships because Microsoft has basically made the rental service too expensive? sorry shane, just used you as an example, no offense lol.

I never once heard that Internet connection was REQUIRED during the conference. In fact I heard the exact opposite. I specifically remember the president if Microsoft entertainment saying "active online will NOT be a part of Xbox one" (I may have missed a few words but that was the quote for the most part).

As far as games having to be installed, so what? They are giving you 500GB HDD right out the get go with 8GB of RAM. each game is anywhere from 5GB to 30GB. you will have PLENTY of room.

The whole "you can't play the games at a friends house" is totally not true. You can still play them, you just have to pay a fee. Big whoop. I personally don't care. I don't bring my games to friends houses anyways. You know how you get around that? Take your Xbox with you.

Lastly, ask any professional call of duty which console is better competitively. Every single one has said XBOX. FeaR Assass1n even said that if black ops 1 wasn't on the circuit for ps3, he wouldn't even own one. Microsoft shelling out money has 0% to do with it. You can even tell which console was made for shooter just by looking at the controllers.

Anyways, sorry I went on a little rant but back to the topic. I never said that Xbox one was gonna be a great system without supporting it. I simply gave my opinion why I would rather have the Xbox over the play station. Plus, Xbox customer service is way superior.

What he meant by active connection is that the Xbox one won't require a constant connection to the internet. That was the big fear rumor people were concerned about.

As far as Xbox being made for shooters, that maybe true but not really a big point. So people find the Xbox controller weird for them and some feel the same about the PS3 controller! I prefer the PS3 because it feels more comfortable to me and yes I've played most popular shooters on the Xbox but I never got a really comfortable feel for the controller!

The which console is best is a argument no one will ever win. You will always have one game that looks better on one console than the other. One console will always have something that appeals to some but not others. It all boils down to preference like fords and chevys! They each have their good points and their bad ones!

• Directors

No worries Puddy, everyone uses me as an example lol...

But this: http://www.urgentfury.com/blog/2013/05/23/military-gamers-cannot-use-the-xbox-one-in-the-field/ pretty much seals the deal for me... I am a veteran, I know many active duty players and for a Microsoft Exec to straight up say well you guys are just better off sticking with the 360 is the WRONG approach.