NEW SOCOM! - SOCOM: Confrontation

Guest [+30]PuddyTat

the graphics in this game look AWESOME. now i can brag about how good the game kooed right before the servers crashed and everyone got booted. ;D

I know there are some zipper haters out there... Not real sure why... The promises and lies started- I feel by pressure (and later ownership) by Sony. Zipper made, created and founded the best consol game for the ps2. I will say I am highly disappointed to see another team putting this thing together. Anyone have any info on where these devs came from? What other projects they worked on? Dont get me wrong- I will buy it and a ps3 because of it... I just hope sony isnt rushing this out by a cheesy dev team to get me to do so.

UNCLE-SID25 ]

I know there are some zipper haters out there... Not real sure why... The promises and lies started- I feel by pressure (and later ownership) by Sony. Zipper made, created and founded the best consol game for the ps2. I will say I am highly disappointed to see another team putting this thing together. Anyone have any info on where these devs came from? What other projects they worked on? Dont get me wrong- I will buy it and a ps3 because of it... I just hope sony isnt rushing this out by a cheesy dev team to get me to do so.

Slant Six is involved in this. i have a few articles we've found and posted in our forums, with quite a bit of info on it, including zipper stuff, and some more detail in the game, and what they are trying to do.

SOCOM: Confrontation First Look

Sony finally takes the wraps off its first, online-only, PS3-only installment of its popular shooter series, and we're there to see it.

By Brad Shoemaker, GameSpot

Posted May 17, 2007 12:01 am PT

You knew it was coming. Sony's SOCOM online shooters have quietly remained among the most enduring franchises on the PlayStation 2, as well as one of the most popular reasons to suffer that system's disagreeable online sign-up process. What better way to bolster the PlayStation 3's cachet with the competitive online multiplayer crowd than with a new PlayStation 3-only edition of everyone's favorite Navy SEAL-oriented shooter series? Indeed, Sony has just taken the wraps off of SOCOM: Confrontation, the first game in the franchise for the PS3, and you might be surprised at the direction Sony and development newcomer, Vancouver-based Slant Six, are taking with the title.

We won't beat around the bush: Confrontation is going to be a downloadable game, just like the forthcoming Warhawk. But this new SOCOM will also be released on a Blu-ray disc in a traditional retail package. Sony isn't saying yet what that means for the scope of Confrontation's gameplay and content. They're also not saying if the two releases will happen simultaneously, but at least they've confirmed the game is being aimed at a "holiday" release window. We do know the game will lack a single-player component--it's also like Warhawk in that it's made for online play only.

The demo we got to see of Confrontation was said to be the result of only four to five months' worth of development, in which case it's looking pretty impressive. The trailer was set in a decidedly Middle Eastern town and featured what looked like American special forces doing battle with local militia garbed in ski masks and nondescript fatigues (think the terrorist characters in Counter-Strike). The action looked like what we've come to expect from SOCOM, with both sides running through the streets to take cover behind cars and in doorways, taking up strategic firing positions on balconies and rooftops, and trading fire with assault rifles and the occasional rocket-propelled grenade. Though the trailer looked to be using all in-game footage, little of it was actual gameplay, so we can't comment on what specifically will be new about the nuts-and-bolts gameplay in Confrontation.

Sony is saving the big reveal of SOCOM's gameplay specifics for this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo--when we hope to get our hands on the game itself--but we did glean a few details from the brief presentation given at the company's state-of-the-art San Diego motion-capture studio (where a contingent of real Navy SEALs performed an impressive demonstration of the mo-cap process). The game will feature not just American troops but international special forces, though from which countries it wasn't said. You'll be able to customize those characters in appearance, though, and clans will further get to trick out their custom uniforms to create a unique visual identity. It sounds as though Sony will support the game actively after release, as online events like team tournaments and clan ladders are planned, along with for-pay content packs to be made available on the PlayStation Network Store that will include new game modes, special forces, and weapons, among other things.

Unfortunately, that's just about all we know about Confrontation at this point, as Sony (like so many other companies recently) seems content to tease us with a bare glimpse of the game now followed by promises of full disclosure at E3. The game is looking fairly good at this point, with nicely detailed character models and weapon effects. The environments looked a little sparsely detailed to us based on the brief trailer (can we get some more pixel shaders in here?), but overall, Confrontation looks like it's headed in a positive direction, and we'll always applaud a company as monolithic as Sony for experimenting with alternative distribution methods. Expect much more on the new SOCOM to come out of E3 in July.

-GameSpot

Hey SOCOM fans: You might want to sit down for this one. You know how you've been disappointed by how the series has drifted further and further from its roots? You know how the addition of vehicles, enormous maps, and Battlefield-style play modes have seemed to dilute the pure, tense tactical experience of the original game? You know how you've complained to Sony and Zipper about the perils of trying to make the series too accessible, too mainstream?

They were listening.

When franchise head Seth Luisi took the stage at a Sony press event earlier this week to show SOCOM Confrontation, he made it clear that this SOCOM is for you -- the fans of the original SOCOM experience. "The gameplay in SOCOM Confrontation," says Luisi, "is what we like to call 'intimate 32-player team-based combat.'" You may deduce from this statement that Confrontation will be online multiplayer only. You would be correct -- and what's more, the game will initially be available as a download from the PlayStation Store (with a retail release hitting as well, potentially in a collector's-style package or Bluetooth headset bundle similar to what we're expecting from Warhawk).

But the key word in Luisi's statement is "intimate." Gone are the vast levels that made hunting down enemies so difficult and draws so common. Instead, Luisi promises "more dense, highly detailed environments that also have a lot of interactive elements." In a brief video, he showed a seriously revamped version of fan favorite map Crossroads. The market area appeared much more detailed, with what seemed to be destructible elements. It seemed to indicate the possibility of destructible -- or at least degradable -- cover, an addition that should strike fear into the hearts of anyone familiar with the already sky-high tension levels in a good SOCOM match.

But perhaps the most welcome feature of Confrontation isn't an addition at all, but rather a subtraction: "For the initial release, vehicles are out," says Luisi, to the nearly audible cheers of old-school SOCOM fans everywhere. "We are looking at possibly bringing them back later on in a downloadable update to the game. But initially, we want to focus on the combat, and making that as visceral as possible." Without the need to plan for vehicles, the designers are free to recreate the close-quarters, claustrophobic feel of the best of SOCOM's original multiplayer maps, with the kind of detail this generation of hardware can bring. This is a very good thing.

http://www.1up.com/media?id=3173724

media?id=3302116

SCREENS: Click the image above to check out all SOCOM Confrontation screens.http://www.1up.com/media?id=3173725

This increased level of detail extends to your own character: You'll be able to customize your appearance more than in any previous SOCOM. It's not just for vanity's sake, though -- it's also for identity. "We allow clans to set up different uniforms," said Luisi. "The clan leader can design a look for their clan, change some of the camo patterns, some of the equipment options, and then users can still go in and customize their look individually, so they don't all look exactly the same."

The community support will extend throughout the life of the game. "We plan on having a lot of online events," Luisi says, "such as regularly scheduled team tournaments, clan ladders, and clan challenges and battles. But the game doesn't really end with the initial release. We'll be releasing regularly scheduled theme packs through the PlayStation Store. You'll be able to download content packs, which will have a combination of new game modes, new special forces, character cutomization options, weapons, and more." You can also plan on new maps coming down that fat pipe -- counting the expanded 32-player version of Crossroads, the initial release will ship with just five maps, all based in North Africa (future updates will offer new maps in new areas of operation).

While original designer Zipper has handed development of the game off to Vancouver studio Slant Six, from the tiny bit we've seen, it looks like the newcomers are up to the task. We can't wait to see more.

hope this helps =)

Zipper Still Working on Second PS3 SOCOM

Original SOCOM developer working on the next PS3 SOCOM.

By Sam Kennedy, 05/17/2007

At its recent San Diego Gamers Day, Sony announced that SOCOM was headed for the PS3 in a new game titled SOCOM Confrontation. What's interesting about Confrontation, though, is that it's the first console SOCOM game from a developer other than Zipper (the original developers of the SOCOM franchise) -- it's being handled by the brand new developer Slant Six games (who are also handling SOCOM Tactical Strike on the PSP). In its SOCOM Confrontation presentation, Sony mentioned that Slant Six is working closely with Zipper on the two titles.

1UP confirmed with Sony that Zipper is still working on its own new SOCOM game for PS3, though it's still quite a ways off (perhaps Fall of 2008?). Our understanding is that, unlike SOCOM Confrontation, it will provide single-player and multiplayer gameplay, and the extra development time will allow Zipper to really do some new things with the franchise.

But in case you were wondering what Zipper is up to, there you have it: two SOCOM games are officially headed to the PS3.

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159608

Deutscher75 ]
SNIPER ]

I will sell my soul on ebay for the PS3 and this new Socom......  :o

I did this 3 different times and got an easy grand each time, lol its VERY doable. lol no one can own a soul other than God, so it's free money!

D75

Oh man, do i hope you are joking ..lol

Chili-Palmer ]
Deutscher75 ]
SNIPER ]

I will sell my soul on ebay for the PS3 and this new Socom......  :o

I did this 3 different times and got an easy grand each time' date=' lol its VERY doable. lol no one can own a soul other than God, so it's free money!

D75

[/quote']

Oh man, do i hope you are joking ..lol

lol I seriously am not, if I had my old PayPal and eBay accounts from High School I owuld send you the official receipt of transaction, lol

Each person required a "blood" signature, little did they know the blood was beef blood from my hamburger meat. And I didnt write the contract either, had a friend do it in his spare time cause he thought it was hiarious because he was getting a $150 cut each time and rounds of free golf out of it, lol

the things i did to avoid working in high school!!! LOL

D75

Chili it really does, there ARE people out there that buy them, trust me dude, people will buy ANYTHING that you can sell, it just has to be marketable. DO IT!!!

Or at least auction it off and see if you get any interests on it and then close the deal instead of actually selling it, you'll be surprised at what you find.

D75

Yep it's true... soul's sell.

In fact I was in a pawn shop the other day and it seems someone had Pawned Deutscher's soul...

the guy had it up for sale for $20 bucks.

I thought about buying it but USED souls sort of suck.

Selling your soul has no consequence here... but ..... there will be Hell to pay later.. LMAO!

reading a few more articles. sounds like zipper still might be involved in a new one. so there MAYBE just MABYE be two new socoms coming out. the one in Fall 07, and early 08. doubful, but the way they read its how it sounds. and the first "downloadable" version of confrontation will include only 5 maps. so basically it might be the "map pack" we've all been waiting for, just a whole lot prettier, more blood etc etc. *shrugs* who knows.

KingOfKillaCal ]

reading a few more articles. sounds like zipper still might be involved in a new one. so there MAYBE just MABYE be two new socoms coming out. the one in Fall 07, and early 08. doubful, but the way they read its how it sounds. and the first "downloadable" version of confrontation will include only 5 maps. so basically it might be the "map pack" we've all been waiting for, just a whole lot prettier, more blood etc etc. *shrugs* who knows.

Zipper IS working on another SOCOM, but Slant Six is working on Confrontation and the new game for the PSP as well

D75