Modern Warfare 2 has Third Person.!!!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CDBS14 ]

no one plays third person mode' date=' it sucks. it is just like a small add on, like a mini game.

[/quote']

"no one" seems like a very absolute term to use. I have an entire segment of my clan that is mainly interested in playing competitively in the 3rd person perspective. So there are people that enjoy playing it and are interested in it on a competitive level.

I think one of the things that 3rd person mode is missing is precision aiming cross hairs. I like 3rd person and play it pretty often mostly because I'm brain washed by Zipper. lol

3rd person is a little awkward and clunky but it is an alternative for people who really can't or don't want to play 1st person. I personally love being able to see my characters feet while playing. I go back and forth between 1st and 3rd.

Crusty_Demons ]

I think one of the things that 3rd person mode is missing is precision aiming cross hairs. I like 3rd person and play it pretty often mostly because I'm brain washed by Zipper. lol

3rd person is a little awkward and clunky but it is an alternative for people who really can't or don't want to play 1st person. I personally love being able to see my characters feet while playing. I go back and forth between 1st and 3rd.

I've found that enjoy both very much, I do very well in both setups(statistically speaking). In my clan there are some people that HATE 3rd person and then I have others that just LOVE IT. IMO IW made a smart decision by including it in the game, they've broadened their audience and if nothing else I'm happy to see that they called something "tactical" about their game. Which is something that they were very adamant before the release of COD4 that the game would not be.

As I stated previously in this thread I think it would be a great idea to incorporate this in some way. Right now from the research I've done there is no competitive arena that is offering anything in 3rd person. Which could mean that UF would have that "genre"(for lack of a better term) cornered.

If UF makes a third person MW2 tourney, that is slap to the face to all of us who waited for cod tourney, not only that but it is a minority that plays third person.

Again it angers me that people want to turn MW2 into socom, two distinct games, you guys shouldnt be trying to make them alike or the same. Game rules that apply in socom dont apply in mw2.

CDBS14 ]

If UF makes a third person MW2 tourney' date=' that is slap to the face to all of us who waited for cod tourney, not only that but it is a minority that plays third person.

Again it angers me that people want to turn MW2 into socom, two distinct games, you guys shouldnt be trying to make them alike or the same. Game rules that apply in socom dont apply in mw2.

[/quote']

why couldn't UF have both? FPS and TPS MW2 tourneys?

CDBS14 ]

If UF makes a third person MW2 tourney' date=' that is slap to the face to all of us who waited for cod tourney, not only that but it is a minority that plays third person.

[/quote']

No one is going to try and steal your game CD we are just taking a vacation with it. They included the third person mode we play it so don't hate us for playing it. We fully realize that MW is not Socom and I personally am hoping to move on to the next version of Socom next year and leave all you MW players alone.

I will say it again if it wasn't for the bad Socom game that is currently out I would have not even bought MW 2.

Crusty_Demons ]
CDBS14 ]

[/quote']

No one is going to try and steal your game CD we are just taking a vacation with it. They included the third person mode we play it so don't hate us for playing it. We fully realize that MW is not Socom and I personally am hoping to move on to the next version of Socom next year and leave all you MW players alone.

I will say it again if it wasn't for the bad Socom game that is currently out I would have not even bought MW 2.

i am not hating you guys for playing it, or none of that.

What i am saying is that in general taking into consideration this one and other threads, it sort of feels as if the socom players want that third person mode as the standard for tournament play here in UF.

I could see how that would happen just because the current Socom is getting old due to patches that take forever and DLC that seems to be like the pot at the end of a rainbow. I don't think that UF will be making the primary game mode for MW2 third person. On the other hand there appears to be some interest in that so maybe there could be something on the side.

Maybe an official response from a director on what their approach to this is going to be is needed?

I could see maybe a Horseman style 4v4 with the new TPS for COD but I am going to have to agree with CDB on this one. For tac map and black style I think it needs to be what the overwhelming majority of COD players play and its not the TPS mode. Especially if you truly want to see this place grow with COD players, people who aren't socom transplants don't play that mode period.

SnowBud ]

I could see maybe a Horseman style 4v4 with the new TPS for COD but I am going to have to agree with CDB on this one. For tac map and black style I think it needs to be what the overwhelming majority of COD players play and its not the TPS mode. Especially if you truly want to see this place grow with COD players, people who aren't socom transplants don't play that mode period.

I'm not saying that you're wrong(yet) but I just don't understand how you can state something like this. Do you know for a FACT that "the overwhelming majority" of MW2 players are NOT playing 3rd person? If so could you please include the statistics and cite them?

If not then I don't see how you can even make a claim like that with any confidence.

Covert-OPs_ ]
SnowBud ]

I'm not saying that you're wrong(yet) but I just don't understand how you can state something like this. Do you know for a FACT that "the overwhelming majority" of MW2 players are NOT playing 3rd person? If so could you please include the statistics and cite them?

If not then I don't see how you can even make a claim like that with any confidence.

Whether or not you believe me doesn't matter. The fact is this game has a following which is FPS its always been that way and I don't need to provide you anything to prove that. If you want to look for yourself in the online lobbies you can see how many players are playing each mode, that should be all the evidence you need.

I'm not talking about your clan or clans here im talking about the millions of people that have followed this game for years. If UF wants to grow into more than socom, it needs to support what the overwhelming majority want.

I agree with the feelings of the hard core modern warfare players. It makes me angry to no end when COD players come into Socom forums posting things like Socom should have packs of dogs or helicopters. There is nothing that would ruin a socom game more than those kinds of things. So I try not to change or go against the grain with the MW games. You guys play your game and tournaments however you want and if it sounds fun I'll sign up.

SnowBud ]
Covert-OPs_ ]
SnowBud ]

Whether or not you believe me doesn't matter. The fact is this game has a following which is FPS its always been that way and I don't need to provide you anything to prove that. If you want to look for yourself in the online lobbies you can see how many players are playing each mode, that should be all the evidence you need.

I'm not talking about your clan or clans here im talking about the millions of people that have followed this game for years. If UF wants to grow into more than socom, it needs to support what the overwhelming majority want.

That's my exact point, it shouldn't be about believing you. I'm asking you for facts to back up what only sounds like an opinion up to this point. I do agree that COD's roots are in the FPS genre(I would have to be a fool not to) but some of your statements up to this point have been matters of opinions represented as facts. If you're going to do that then 10 times out of 10 I'll ask you to prove it. Whether you want to or not is a different story, I'm just trying to get the facts and not get mired down in what people "think" is popular or unpopular.

In an effort to collect some data I created a poll on the GB forums asking whether or not there should be a 3rd person ladder. So far 85% of the votes are for a 3rd person ladder(there aren't that many total votes yet). Every community is different and some could make the argument that GB has some of the most hardcore gamers around because of their professional affiliation to MLG. I think that could serve as a litmus test to how some of the hardcore MW2 fans think about the evolving franchise. Anyway, most of my conversations follow a logical path and I prefer to speak in detail about facts rather than how you "feel" about things. That may sound rude but the truth is that I don't care about feelings, my only concern is that my clan can participate in the best possible competitive event around.

Ok, here is the summary answer to all that I have skimmed through:

1. If Urgent Fury has something planned, we will not let you know until it would be finalized.

2. If Urgent Fury does plan something, it will be because we feel it will be something fun for those that do enjoy it.

3. Just like with any game, I would not rule anything out. With more gameplay options, comes more possibilities. And If you are insulted, you woundn't have to play in it.

4. If Urgent Fury does plan something, it would not take the place of anything else but could be something additional so that people who DO like it, could play it.

So the point is:

- Some like it.

- Some don't like it.

Seems like a normal response in between alot of typing. ;D

Covert-OPs_ ]
SnowBud ]
Covert-OPs_ ]
SnowBud ]

That's my exact point, it shouldn't be about believing you. I'm asking you for facts to back up what only sounds like an opinion up to this point. I do agree that COD's roots are in the FPS genre(I would have to be a fool not to) but some of your statements up to this point have been matters of opinions represented as facts. If you're going to do that then 10 times out of 10 I'll ask you to prove it. Whether you want to or not is a different story, I'm just trying to get the facts and not get mired down in what people "think" is popular or unpopular.

In an effort to collect some data I created a poll on the GB forums asking whether or not there should be a 3rd person ladder. So far 85% of the votes are for a 3rd person ladder(there aren't that many total votes yet). Every community is different and some could make the argument that GB has some of the most hardcore gamers around because of their professional affiliation to MLG. I think that could serve as a litmus test to how some of the hardcore MW2 fans think about the evolving franchise. Anyway, most of my conversations follow a logical path and I prefer to speak in detail about facts rather than how you "feel" about things. That may sound rude but the truth is that I don't care about feelings, my only concern is that my clan can participate in the best possible competitive event around.

Did you look online at the lobbies like I asked you too? If so you would see my point, im certainly not going to argue and go round and round with someone who demands proof. You want proof go find it yourself.

Who gives a hoot what the people at GB think, I don't. You point is that at GB they want a TPS ladder, thats awesome, I bet its not to replace the FPS ladder.

Bottom line I bet UF does both, if not their not going to replace what everyone wants with what a few want.

SnowBud ]

Did you look online at the lobbies like I asked you too? If so you would see my point, im certainly not going to argue and go round and round with someone who demands proof. You want proof go find it yourself.

Who gives a hoot what the people at GB think, I don't. You point is that at GB they want a TPS ladder, thats awesome, I bet its not to replace the FPS ladder.

Bottom line I bet UF does both, if not their not going to replace what everyone wants with what a few want.

I did not play MW2 last night unfortunately. As far as providing proof is concerned, it's your prerogative to support your position with facts or not. My only issue with your portrayal is that you did not provide any facts. From my position all you have done is introduced your "feelings" into what sounded like a statement of fact. What you think and what is are two different things. Just like the segment of TOU that wants to play 3rd person, just because they like it better doesn't mean that everyone feels the same way. If you're insulted by my request for you to substantiate your claim or feel that I should do the leg work for you, then that's a problem for you to figure out not I.

My point isn't that the GB community wants a 3rd person ladder, rather that your statement below does not ring true for what I've been seeing.(FYI the vote for a 3rd person ladder on that site is now at 92.71% in favor of it although the vote count is still low overall)

SnowBud ]

When you say "overwhelming majority" all I wanted to know was how you got to that conclusion. Is it your opinion that the "overwhelming majority" DO NOT want to play 3rd person or is it that you have statistical data that you've collected over a significant period of time to substantiate your claim?

At any rate I think there could be multiple events for this game. The developer has obviously given competitive gaming communities the opportunity to create different kinds of events(which is great). I have not once said that UF should not offer both or a mixture of both. If that is what you have understood from any of my posts then you should re-read them because that has not been stated.

*It's a basic debate strategy to mix statements of fact with opinions as to shape the direction of the discussion. Which is why I am a stickler in these kinds of discussions, if it's an opinion I like to know that clearly and if it's a fact I like to analyze it for myself. Which can be frustrating for some that try to do the above and I realize that. My intention is not to offend you, however I do realize it may annoy you.*

Crusty_Demons ]

It sounds like Snow Bud is saying there is a way to look at the in game lobbies to see how many players are playing each game mode. Is that correct snow? If so can you explain how to do it? I would like to see the numbers.

If I'm correct, when you join a particular gamer type (i.e Domination, 3rd Person TDM), it shows on the top right the number of people currently playing that particular game type.

I can only assume that is where he is getting his statistics from. And for the record, I have no stance on either game type. ;)

IRISH BULL ]

And for the record, I have no stance on either game type. ;)

Either do I, I have actually spent more time playing first person because we have had too many people on to play ranked 3rd person. I just think that it's great that there is an option to play different styles now. Other than MGO I can't remember a game that has had both setups. MGO was nice because you could play either way on the fly, it wasn't limited to specific rooms. Tonight will be my first night back online so I'll document some numbers and see what's what.

Crusty_Demons ]

It sounds like Snow Bud is saying there is a way to look at the in game lobbies to see how many players are playing each game mode. Is that correct snow? If so can you explain how to do it? I would like to see the numbers.

That is correct sir, when picking your gametype, I believe at the bottom right or left it shows the amount of players online, and the amount that is in that particular mode.

So yes everyone go look for themselves, unless Covert would like my to post the numbers for him so he doesn't have to look then I can maybe do that tonight when I'm on ::)

I'm pretty much done posting here, this has gotten a little ridiculous and past the point of debate.

USCG_sierra179 ]

I agree. It's always seemed more realistic to me and I love seeing something how it would look through my eyes. I know its a video game but they try and make it look as real as possible, so why would you have me look from three feet behind me at what I'm doing? Never made much since to me. Sorry TPS's, maybe this will help convert you!

I'm NOT attacking you by using your quote. But 'dont you think', that it's more like TUNNEL-VISION than really being realistic? That's been my only peeve about FPS's, you only really see whats in front. It would be nice if they found a way to make 'peripheral-vision' of it (where you can see 'just to the sides of your front!), then I wouldn't have a problem with FPS's. But to me, FPS's are like having blinders on the side of my face...

CDBS14 ]

[/quote'] Well, if it wasn't for MW2, I don't think I would even consider a FPS. Let's face it; Infinity Ward developers...are 'smart'! ~ What better way, to grab a bunch of SOCOM addicts than by luring them in, with adding the TPS feature! Well, that's just what's happening, and I think the only thing they did wrong (which I've already recommended that they fix for future installments), was forcing it to be 'one "or" the other'. The sooner they make it so that the PLAYERS THEMSELVES can choose 1st "or" 3rd in the same game...they'll have Socrack beat! Hell, they kind of have 'em beat already...IMO! ~ They have me on it! ~ lol

CritiKiL ]
USCG_sierra179 ]

I agree. It's always seemed more realistic to me and I love seeing something how it would look through my eyes. I know its a video game but they try and make it look as real as possible, so why would you have me look from three feet behind me at what I'm doing? Never made much since to me. Sorry TPS's, maybe this will help convert you!

I'm NOT attacking you by using your quote. But 'dont you think', that it's more like TUNNEL-VISION than really being realistic? That's been my only peeve about FPS's, you only really see whats in front. It would be nice if they found a way to make 'peripheral-vision' of it (where you can see 'just to the sides of your front!), then I wouldn't have a problem with FPS's. But to me, FPS's are like having blinders on the side of my face...

I don't take it as attacking at all, its a very good arguement. I see where you're going with this and I somewhat agree. I just still enjoy looking "through my own eyes", it would be nice to have peripheral vision also and it may just come with the way games are progressing