Other Cable Internet options besides Comcast?

Does anyone know of a good company to use for Cable internet? I have been using comcast for 3 years now and it has been nothing but issues, outages, and horrible service. I am done with Comcast and I am looking for an alternative. I would prefer not to get DSL, because that is a downgrade from Cable, does anyone have any suggestions?

Guest SaTAnS_SoUlJa

I have the answers to your prayers my friend.....Verizon FiOS.....PM me if you want all the goody details i dont wanna type it all up for nothing ..but i will tell you...AMAZING!

.APOCALYP5E. ]

I have the answers to your prayers my friend.....Verizon FiOS.....PM me if you want all the goody details i dont wanna type it all up for nothing ..but i will tell you...AMAZING!

thats what i have got is verizon fios and i have never ever had a problem with it in any way at all and it is cheaper 35$ a month than cable wich i had problems with ..

so i got my cable thru comcast and internet thru fios ......

Guest SaTAnS_SoUlJa

Ok Im not sure bout its Availability nut the reason its so fast is this: Say you have vomcast Cable internet, You share internt speed with everyone in your community that has COmcast. FiOS the run a direct fiber optic line to your house and you dont share your speed with anyone plus they have somany good features its truly amazing i reccomend it you should call up verizon and check its availability

.APOCALYP5E. ]

I am definitely interested in the goody details! Tell me more!

Goat puts on his AV Inc. CEO hat.

Well, while it’s true that Version is scaring the living schit out of cable and sat co’s. by laying fiber down. Here’s some info on FIOS.

The statement.. fiber all the way to your home, while is correct it’s important to note that there isn’t any receiver that can accept a direct Fiber yet. i.e. for TV for example the Fiber goes to a box that gets converted to good old RF (radio frequency) modulation over standard cable.. All that bandwidth eventually gets compressed back to standard RF right at the last step.. pffft. Yes a fiber cable goes into your house but before it hits your TV it goes in a box and copper coax comes out of the box. The data that was on the fiber is re-modualted into rf on the coax so as to be useable by a traditional STB. (another the chicken before the egg type innovation.) But that’s TV and the equipment will catch up eventually.. on to the real deal INTERNET.

Yes!! It’s fast basic is 5mbps with 2 mbps upload.. at about $40. but for $10 more you can triple download to 15mbps.. not a big deal for gamers since upload stays at 2mbps…. For the big daddy.. 30mbps and 5mbps up (the gamers dream!) expect to pay a whopping $180 a MONTH!. Comcast buis home service which gives me 18 down and 4 up with 5 dedicated IP’s cost $110 and buis class does not use the same servers as your neighbor unless they have buis class as well which means if you go buis class at your home chances are you’re the only one in the hood with it.

The deception… Verison, * and anyone who has these guys for cell service can get an idea of the crap they pull sometimes.., goes to great length to say “FIBER all the way to your home..! well that’s great but where’s the other end of that line go? Ah ahh therein lies the deception.

The other end goes to.. Verizon’s cell uplinks which go to sat’s which bounce back to receiver’s which go to the National Internet backbone server centers and hit the good old WAN. The Capacity of version’s sat’s is huge but as more and more go online eventually it will fill up. The Internet backbone is being upgraded as I type and is expected to handle 100mbps per user. So basically what I’m saying is whether it’s FIOS or SAT or DSL or Cable all the data eventually goes to the same place the Backbone and the backbone is a bit behind on its upgrade.

Bottom Line. Fiber actually has the capacity for 256mbps down and 115mbps upload per line or per home!! That’s fricking amazing!! They actually place limiters in line to reduce it to the 5/2 they offer. The future looks bright for FIOS. My only complaint is the company that’s offering it. Past experience with Verison’s management, customer service and the idiots they seem to hire with their cellular service makes me cringe at the thought of dealing with them for TV and or internet. For now I will stay with Comcast buis server service but they too seem to be just as terrible.

For a quick example of what to expect from a company such as Verison and allowing them to be your provider. One of the biggest compliants so far on their TV packages is that they increase the volume dramatically on commercials and promo advertisements of VERISON!! During programming. Your watching a movie late at night with the vol. down and suddenly a VERSION commercial SCREAMS out your TV to buy more!! Typical example of the crap you can expect these guys to pull… However it seems they all take advantage of their customers and none of them are worth a schit. So if they can give me speed. I’ll take it.

Guest SaTAnS_SoUlJa

well ive had millenium internet, Comcast internet and verizon....so in comparison as far as speed bandwith and costumer service and outages FIOS eassily wins almost no outages...with comcast i could expect at least once a week with FiOS i have no fears and only had one outage. that didnt last long at all

LOL Street, been busy with work and playing Vegas too much.. ;)

as for Crapcast. yea, to be fair if I was comparing Comcast residential to FIOS,... FIOS would be way ahead.. I'm spoiled with my RG-11 direct to the house.. only one on the dist. block.. HOME buis. class dedicated server lines.. and for me that beats FIOS at this time. However when compared to residential service I'd have to say go with FIOS, Verison customer service reaks but they all do. As for outages.. LOL maybe Ver. hasn't been out yet, but give em time.. they will find a way to "F" it up.

p.s. when Verison was laying their easement lines in my neighborhood they knocked out the power not once but EIGHT different times and that was only in a 10 block area, I can only imagine how the rest of the country has been doing with their easement agreement.

If they dig through your yard.. THEY HAVE TO BY LAW replace the sod and yard exactly as it was.. by careful since they tend to dig it up with precision but are lazy asses when it comes to filling up the hole and making it look like it did before they dug.

Guest SaTAnS_SoUlJa

well they did it very well where i live; Baltimore Maryland...costumer service is great and it may be just your area where they suck because they have been awesome around here in every aspect. but i am sorry for the trouble you have been through and i would be devastated if i were you so if you need to talk to someone by all means PM me and ill be here.

Goat ]

LOL Street, been busy with work and playing Vegas too much.. ;)

as for Crapcast. yea, to be fair if I was comparing Comcast residential to FIOS,... FIOS would be way ahead.. I'm spoiled with my RG-11 direct to the house.. only one on the dist. block.. HOME buis. class dedicated server lines.. and for me that beats FIOS at this time. However when compared to residential service I'd have to say go with FIOS, Verison customer service reaks but they all do. As for outages.. LOL maybe Ver. hasn't been out yet, but give em time.. they will find a way to "F" it up. 

p.s. when Verison was laying their easement lines in my neighborhood they knocked out the power not once but EIGHT different times and that was only in a 10 block area, I can only imagine how the rest of the country has been doing with their easement agreement.

If they dig through your yard.. THEY HAVE TO BY LAW replace the sod and yard exactly as it was.. by careful since they tend to dig it up with precision but are lazy asses when it comes to filling up the hole and making it look like it did before they dug.

;)

Comcast has not been bought out by anyone, but this is interesting. I used them when I lived in SW Florida and they SUCKED for online games.

Maybe this is why you were having problems....

Comcast Blocks Some Internet Traffic

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gxRiQSVfgK4sLbVRE_X4MOlM9q0AD8SCASPG0

Comcast Corp. actively interferes with attempts by some of its high-speed Internet subscribers

LORD_LUCIFER ]

Comcast has not been bought out by anyone, but this is interesting.  I used them when I lived in SW Florida and they SUCKED for online games. 

Maybe this is why you were having problems....

Comcast Blocks Some Internet Traffic

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gxRiQSVfgK4sLbVRE_X4MOlM9q0AD8SCASPG0

Comcast Corp. actively interferes with attempts by some of its high-speed Internet subscribers

NO SIR..

VERIZON IS ABOUT TO BE BOUGHT BY FAIRPOINT ATLEAST IN NEW ENGLAND....NOT COMCAST ;)

Hmmm that’s really interesting Lord_Lucy,

I love this part… “"By Comcast not acknowledging that they do this at all, there's no way to report any problems with it," errrr okay… SOB’s !!!

But isn’t this more akin to Peer to Peer, now I would love it if we had PtP for gaming.. Imagine if you could in essence create a private LAN type game and then invite specific players outside your LAN via the WAN to join your virtual server, all without any need for a huge server to create the virtual world, no cheaters, kids, no body outside your invited IP client list. That would be cool and lag free for the most part depending on the connections of the clients. A LAN-WAN thank you Mamm… LOL

MMOFPS (Massively multiplayer online first-person shooter) or "My Motha F’ing Play Station" ;D HA!! use TCP/IP by use of private servers with their own DNS number

(*ref wiki and other info sites)

I believe this is really where the problem is.. DNS primarily uses UDP on port 53 to serve requests from the client followed by a UDP reply from the server. TCP handles the transfer only when the response data size exceeds 512 bytes (basically voice and your shot to the other guys head..) Now if Comcast or your IP provider sets a limit then it will in all likelihood be a timed limit whereas ok this DNS is requesting from our DNS (the one they let you use for your connection) x amount of time and we are fine with that unless it exceeds x amount of request or time then you are hogging the DNS and we gotta cut you off!! If this is the case then THAT SUCKS! :-\ And explains a heck of a lot of disconnects by DNS errors.

If they are limiting peer to peer as well now then obviously that isn’t the answer either.

For PS and Xbox they are really just flash (in a simple term) well really more like AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript And XML) which uses Direct X9, and the infamous Unreal Engine 3 (Unreal Engine 4 has been delayed for a while now.. ) I believe the only guy working on it is Tim Sweeney (Epic Games VP and legendary Unreal Engine designer) at any rate who knows? And if comcast is doing this do you think Verizon won’t? hmm perhaps for now no but has their use increases I’m sure it’s not beyond their thinking.

We need a Game Players association to hire a lobbyist and lobby for gamers to battle these anti-gamers IP providers!! >:(

;)

Ohhh god.. well here's one for the record books and I put it here because well we were talking bout Comcast and how idiotic they are...

Last night I decided to do some house cleaning on my server.. (I was going to work on the site but I got distracted .. errr ahh yo.. snipe give me a call dude.. sorry..) anyway.. I found my root directory which houses the email logs.. was filled to capacity.. now as I said I have buis class service and each of my emails can hold a SCHIT load of mail.. so how the hell was it filled I wondered...???

Well lo and behold Comcast FiLLED IT UP!! guess they decided to SPAM me with a spam for comcast phone service... well they sent their spam back in Sept... to my online avc postmaster account.. which got replied *automatically by my "this email is not monitored please use xxxx.. etc... " which got replied from them by a auto response of "this email is not monitored by Comcast please use our cust. service email... xxx.. etc.. etc.. " which got auto responded by me.. which got auto responded by them.. which got auto.. errrr yeahhh.. I think you get the point!!

99,999kb's of this crap later.. and my postmaster box is filled!!!! MOFO'n Comcast!! I will be calling them today and informing them if they ever send me a spam again I will pull their cable out of my wall so hard Ted Turner's @SS will twitch from the shock wave!! >:( >:( >:(