Zipper working on Unannounced PS3 game!!! SOCOM 4???

Ok we know that in 2007 that zipper said they would be making a new socom, but then all of a sudden MAG is coming out...

Well, on PCB's production website last year, they had Socom 4 on the list, but have since taken it off.

Well PS3center has said this

MAG is currently in the final stages of production, with Zipper stress testing the online servers and ironing out some final bugs. The game is due in just a bit more than 2 months on January 26, exclusively on the PS3. It doesn't look like Zipper will be taking any time off, though - the Seattle-based developer is working on another, unannounced PS3 title.

According to the LinkedIn profiles of several Zipper employees, the dev has been working on a second PS3 game for quite some time. Graham Kay, a former Design Manager of Zipper Interactive, lists that he worked on 'Massive Action Game (PS3) & Unannounced project (PS3)'. More recently, a senior software engineer for the company, wrote that he's currently "developing gameplay for two PS3 games". Specifically, he works "on the core character team at Zipper developing gameplay to be used in both games currently under development for the PS3".

Earlier this summer, we spotted SOCOM 4 listed on PCB Production's credits page and theorized that Zipper could be working on the title. It's increasingly looking more and more like this is the case.

Ok so there we go, Zipper is making another PS3 game, could it be Socom 4??

Also I got sent some screenshots from a friend of mine that I have known since back in the Socom 1 days.He said that they could be rough drafts(or rough computer sketches of what they wanted it to look like) i dont know myself, but hey the first two do look cool.

Heres the pictures

socom4ps33nx9.jpg

socom4ps32dn1.jpg

socom4ps3qg1.jpg

I know of a clan that has connections with zipper and I am going to try and contact some of them and see what the word it over there:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this, thought I would share....

cyc

SOCOM 4 confirmed two years ago by Sony: Slant6 vs ZipperJuly 6, 2009by Mike Ferro

With the release of SOCOM: Confrontation, fans of the franchise are starting to look towards the future of the series. With Zipper Int. working feverishly on MAG, there has been some question as to if SOCOM 4 even exists. However, gamers may have forgotten that Sony already confirmed that Zipper Int. will be developing SOCOM 4 a couple years ago.

According to 1UP, Sony confirmed that Zipper Int. is working on SOCOM 4 two years ago (2007). According to Sony, SOCOM 4 will be the true sequel to the SOCOM franchise with a full single player and online multiplayer experience.

The SOCOM franchise has been one of the biggest multiplayer shooters on the Playstation systems. The game series garnered much respect from the gaming community for showing that online shooters could really work on the home consoles before the Halo franchise even had online multiplayer.

I recall playing the first SOCOM game in my hardcore clan back in 2002. Back then, if you didn’t play SOCOM and were in a good clan that participated in tournament matches then you weren’t considered a hardcore gamer. When Halo 2 came out with online capability several years later, the game managed to take online multiplayer to another level.

Slant Six, primarily a PSP development studio took on the task of creating the one-off SOCOM: Confrontation, an online only PSN downloadable and retail available game, which was released late last year. The game received mixed reviews as the game was extremely buggy during launch.

I know that the SOCOM community has been giving Slant Six grief, but you have to consider that this was the studio’s first foray outside PSP development. Also, the studio had an extremely tight timeline to launch the game, juggling multiple PSP projects as well. With that being said I do prefer that Zipper Int. do the development for the next true iteration in the franchise.

Zipper has shown that the studio is extremely good with dealing with net codes since 2002. The studio’s latest project MAG is a testament to its net development capabilities with the game supporting up to 256 players per match.

I do hope that Zipper can set the bar with the SOCOM 4 so that Slant Six may follow in the studio’s footsteps on future development. Maybe Sony can use Slant Six and Zipper to do iterative development like Activision has been doing with Treyarch and Infinity Ward for the Call of Duty series

BacklasH ]
Crusty_Demons ]

Old... Old news the answer is yes and the screen shots are probably from photoshop. S4 in the stage it is now already looks better than confrontation. Those pics look like something done in a basement.

That is all...

What Crusty said! ;)

Is there a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" release date? Is it at least 2010??

IRISH BULL ]
BacklasH ]
Crusty_Demons ]

Old... Old news the answer is yes and the screen shots are probably from photoshop. S4 in the stage it is now already looks better than confrontation. Those pics look like something done in a basement.

That is all...

What Crusty said! ;)

Is there a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" release date? Is it at least 2010??

Hell give em 5 years... I just want them to get it right!

MarauderHD ]

1/26/2010

Negative

Zipper is not the little company they used to be. They are now a large company fully capable of developing two titles at the same time. They have been working on their secondary project for a solid 2 and a half years and it will likely become their primary project shortly following 1/26/10. Some think we could expect it somewhere between fall of 2010 or spring of 2011 but that is pure speculation.

I am hoping for an official announcement somewhere around Sony's gamer day or E3 but we'll have to wait and see.

Crusty_Demons ]
MarauderHD ]

1/26/2010

Negative

Zipper is not the little company they used to be. They are now a large company fully capable of developing two titles at the same time. They have been working on their secondary project for a solid 2 and a half years and it will likely become their primary project shortly following 1/26/10. Some think we could expect it somewhere between fall of 2010 or spring of 2011 but that is pure speculation.

I am hoping for an official announcement somewhere around Sony's gamer day or E3 but we'll have to wait and see.

Sounds about right, by then Confrontation will be 2 years old. I just pray they get rid of the over the shoulder cam... for me it's absolutely the worst part about the game! horse.gif

Xanthe ]
Crusty_Demons ]
MarauderHD ]

1/26/2010

Negative

Sounds about right, by then Confrontation will be 2 years old. I just pray they get rid of the over the shoulder cam... for me it's absolutely the worst part about the game! horse.gif

Considering it's Zipper I would expect it to be closer to the old style of Socom than anything /6 did. Contrary to what some believe Zipper had little to no input in Confrontation. /6 came up with their own plan for Confrontation even though the majority of the fan base was screaming for old school. The early builds of Confrontation had aim assist.

Rumor has it for a 2011 release. Other than that is nothing, but a best guess. I severely DOUBT we will see it in fall of this year. Given Socom has always been a fall launch title (except SOCOM 1 which was released in late August of 02), my guess is fall 2011. Really we won't know more until Spring-Summer of this year when it's formally announced.

They waited until E3 2008 to announce MAG, so I'd expect a similar timeline from announcement to release. Maybe something a little shorter though, not stretching into 2012 for release.

Crusty_Demons ]

Considering it's Zipper I would expect it to be closer to the old style of Socom than anything /6 did. Contrary to what some believe Zipper had little to no input in Confrontation. /6 came up with their own plan for Confrontation even though the majority of the fan base was screaming for old school. The early builds of Confrontation had aim assist.

I'm curious do you know that this is the case from an official source or is it just from reading information online?

Covert-OPs_ ]
Crusty_Demons ]

I'm curious do you know that this is the case from an official source or is it just from reading information online?

None of the stuff I know comes from anything online. That's about as far as I'm willing to go. ;D

Crusty_Demons ]
Covert-OPs_ ]
Crusty_Demons ]

None of the stuff I know comes from anything online. That's about as far as I'm willing to go. ;D

Just checking...

Covert-OPs_ ]
Crusty_Demons ]
Covert-OPs_ ]
Crusty_Demons ]

Just checking...

No worries I just don't want to get into the source this link that thing. The information I have given will come to light some day hopefully sooner rather than later. I just saw the list of attendees for E3 this year and I'm quite disappointed.. I hope that list isn't final.

http://www.e3expo.com/exhibitors/92/exhibitor-list/