The Cove

Yea it was exactly what i thought it would be.. its such a bummer, but there are a lot of things just like this that go on daily all over the world with other animals, along with other wrong doings everywhere.. :-\

I would love to get in that guys face, you know the one. (the guy pretending to film them back, & yelling at them) HATE that guy.

I'm gonna get my Mercury levels check at my next check up. ;)

The most shocking is the killing of the dolphins. It's just plain unnecessary. And even worse is the fact that it was being sold as whale meat and the subsequent mercury poisoning. I think there's a much bigger story here that needs to be uncovered in relation to the mercury. That is something that actually affects all of us individually. Thank goodness there are people who tell these stories.

I try to spread the word as much as possible with these kind of things.. UF is not a great place to do that.. Unfortunately, i think there are a lot of people who just dont care about these kinds of things.

There is a Facebook group you can join that will help spread the word. :)

Chili-Palmer ]

I try to spread the word as much as possible with these kind of things.. UF is not a great place to do that.. Unfortunately, i think there are a lot of people who just dont care about these kinds of things.

There is a Facebook group you can join that will help spread the word. :)

Signed the petition, joined FB group, etc. Got an email update this morning. Apparently there is currently a temporary ban on killing of bottle nose dolphins in Taiji!

• 2 months later...

A video that I found that made me sick and realize how F^ this dolphin killing crap really is. This video is far worse than what was shown on the cove film. So WARNING, if you dont like seeing Dolphins slaughter dont watch, but something does need to be done.

If video doesnt work try the link. below the video box

Dolphin massacre in Japan

• 2 months later...

top-bar-Jolly-Roger-01.png

http://www.seashepherd.org

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Japan Threatens to Go Renegade!

Commentary by Captain Paul Watson

Like a spoiled kid who owns the ball, threatens to quit the game, and take his ball home with him unless he gets to win, Japan has now threatened to withdraw from the International Whaling Commission (IWC) unless it gets what it wants.

And what Japan wants is to kill whales, despite the fact that practically every other nation in the world (except for the retro-Vikings in Norway and Iceland) considers whaling to be barbaric, cruel, and unnecessary.

The Associated Press reported today that Japan is considering withdrawing from the IWC if no progress is made toward easing an international ban on commercial whaling according to its fisheries minister on Tuesday.

In other words, they get to kill whales or they leave the party.

The annual IWC party begins next week in Agadir, Morocco and because of Japan’s persistent bullying and threats, the delegates are expected to seek a compromise between pro and anti-whaling countries, which would legalize commercial whaling on a limited scale.

Stung in recent days by revelations of vote buying, Japan has now resorted to threats to leave the IWC and take whatever whales it wants, wherever it wants, whenever it wants. And rather than enforce the existing moratorium, some nations including the United States and New Zealand are apparently willing to throw the baby out with the bath water with the ridiculous compromise of allowing whales to be killed in order to keep Japan from killing more whales.

In other words, they are saying that we will have to kill the whales to save them.

This is not the first time that Japan has threatened to withdraw from the IWC and they are at it again. It is a “give us what we want or we will leave†attitude and some nations are willing to kiss Japan’s ass to do just that.

Japan’s new Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Minister Masahiko Yamada was asked yesterday if Tokyo would quit the IWC if progress was not made toward easing the ban on commercial whaling. "I am considering various options," Yamada said. "This is really the final stage, and we're not sure how things are going to turn out."

The comments were the first by Yamada to reporters since assuming his post a week ago. He was one of several Cabinet ministers appointed by new Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society would not be upset if Japan withdraws from the IWC. Hopefully Norway and Iceland will follow suit, and no one will be left to pick up the tab for the expensive hotels, drinks, meals, and call girls that the delegates from the African, Pacific Island, and West Indies depend upon Japan to pay.

The IWC has lost all credibility and has not enforced any of its regulations, so it matters not if Japan is a member or not a member.

The advantage of a withdrawal is that there will be no pretense of legitimacy for illegal whaling activities.

The Japanese whaling fleet is targeting endangered and protected whales inside the boundaries of an established international whale sanctuary, in violation of a global moratorium on whaling, and in violation of the Antarctic Treaty.

For this reason, Sea Shepherd will once again send ships to the Southern Ocean under the name of Operation No Compromise to intercept and intervene against these unlawful activities. So far, despite all the boring and endless meetings, the only thing that has stopped illegal Japanese whaling has been intervention by the Sea Shepherd crew.

The time for talk is over. The IWC is a useless organization. Japanese stubbornness can only be countered with the language they best understand: profit and loss. We intend to continue keeping their financial losses high and their profits negated.

Operation No Compromise will be our seventh campaign to the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary, and it promises to be the most aggressive and dramatic campaign of them all.

http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/editorial-100616-1.html

I'd say Japan is asking for another bomb to be dropped. >:(

(obviously kidding, that would be way overboard. lol)

Facebook - http://apps.facebook.com/seashephardflag

You guys watch whale wars? I can't believe people can kill those whales. :'(

That show is entertaining just for the simple fact that the majority of the sea sheperds are so incompetent it's funny. :laugh: If you haven't seen it it's on animal planet Friday nights and there is a new season currently running.

Crusty_Demons ]

You guys watch whale wars? I can't believe people can kill those whales. :'(

That show is entertaining just for the simple fact that the majority of the sea sheperds are so incompetent it's funny. :laugh: If you haven't seen it it's on animal planet Friday nights and there is a new season currently running.

i watched it and both sides disgusted me the one side killin the whales then the incompetent crying bitches "omg what do we do theres nothing we can do but watch and cry" sorry sobs

So the latest on all of this is that Ric O'Barry has been fighting to show this film in Japan. He's been meeting tons of resistance from nationalist groups and now it has turned into a lead story about censorship in Japan which is helping to spread the word.

People are actually making death threats against theaters who were going to show this film! Last I read, Ric was on CNN talking about it and a Japanese website will be showing it in it's entirety along with some theaters that aren't caving.

Crazy stuff!

Who uses whale meat.?

What do they use it for.?

Cant we just get a list of all the products that contain whale meat & spread that word so there is no more demand for it.!? (including the corporations that own said products, etc.)

Chili-Palmer ]

Who uses whale meat.?

What do they use it for.?

Cant we just get a list of all the products that contain whale meat & spread that word so there is no more demand for it.!? (including the corporations that own said products, etc.)

The Japanese eat whale meat. It's sold in markets there. But the deal with dolphin meat is that it is sold as whale meat, so people think they are buying whale meat but are buying dolphin meat. The problem with that is that dolphin meat is highly toxic. It's filled with mercury. They compare dolphins to a toxic waste dump. So these people are being poisoned without their knowledge. All of this is in the movie. The movie isn't just about the dolphin slaughter. It's also about the mercury poisoning of unsuspecting Japanese.

So, if the movie was shown in Japan, then the word would be spread about this.

Chili-Palmer ]

top-bar-Jolly-Roger-01.png

http://www.seashepherd.org

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Japan Threatens to Go Renegade!

Commentary by Captain Paul Watson

Like a spoiled kid who owns the ball, threatens to quit the game, and take his ball home with him unless he gets to win, Japan has now threatened to withdraw from the International Whaling Commission (IWC) unless it gets what it wants.

And what Japan wants is to kill whales, despite the fact that practically every other nation in the world (except for the retro-Vikings in Norway and Iceland) considers whaling to be barbaric, cruel, and unnecessary.

The Associated Press reported today that Japan is considering withdrawing from the IWC if no progress is made toward easing an international ban on commercial whaling according to its fisheries minister on Tuesday.

In other words, they get to kill whales or they leave the party.

The annual IWC party begins next week in Agadir, Morocco and because of Japan’s persistent bullying and threats, the delegates are expected to seek a compromise between pro and anti-whaling countries, which would legalize commercial whaling on a limited scale.

Stung in recent days by revelations of vote buying, Japan has now resorted to threats to leave the IWC and take whatever whales it wants, wherever it wants, whenever it wants. And rather than enforce the existing moratorium, some nations including the United States and New Zealand are apparently willing to throw the baby out with the bath water with the ridiculous compromise of allowing whales to be killed in order to keep Japan from killing more whales.

In other words, they are saying that we will have to kill the whales to save them.

This is not the first time that Japan has threatened to withdraw from the IWC and they are at it again. It is a “give us what we want or we will leave†attitude and some nations are willing to kiss Japan’s ass to do just that.

Japan’s new Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Minister Masahiko Yamada was asked yesterday if Tokyo would quit the IWC if progress was not made toward easing the ban on commercial whaling. "I am considering various options," Yamada said. "This is really the final stage, and we're not sure how things are going to turn out."

The comments were the first by Yamada to reporters since assuming his post a week ago. He was one of several Cabinet ministers appointed by new Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society would not be upset if Japan withdraws from the IWC. Hopefully Norway and Iceland will follow suit, and no one will be left to pick up the tab for the expensive hotels, drinks, meals, and call girls that the delegates from the African, Pacific Island, and West Indies depend upon Japan to pay.

The IWC has lost all credibility and has not enforced any of its regulations, so it matters not if Japan is a member or not a member.

The advantage of a withdrawal is that there will be no pretense of legitimacy for illegal whaling activities.

The Japanese whaling fleet is targeting endangered and protected whales inside the boundaries of an established international whale sanctuary, in violation of a global moratorium on whaling, and in violation of the Antarctic Treaty.

For this reason, Sea Shepherd will once again send ships to the Southern Ocean under the name of Operation No Compromise to intercept and intervene against these unlawful activities. So far, despite all the boring and endless meetings, the only thing that has stopped illegal Japanese whaling has been intervention by the Sea Shepherd crew.

The time for talk is over. The IWC is a useless organization. Japanese stubbornness can only be countered with the language they best understand: profit and loss. We intend to continue keeping their financial losses high and their profits negated.

Operation No Compromise will be our seventh campaign to the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary, and it promises to be the most aggressive and dramatic campaign of them all.

http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/editorial-100616-1.html

I'd say Japan is asking for another bomb to be dropped. >:(

(obviously kidding, that would be way overboard. lol)

Facebook - http://apps.facebook.com/seashephardflag

The Captain from the Sea has a show called Whale Wars in Animal Planet i watched once in a while , its pretty mess up what the Japanese do. I believe this season they talked about how the Japanese kill whales that are in danger and say that is for " Research".

The latest ...

IT'S OFFICIAL: THE COVE WILL OPEN IN JAPAN!

REPORT FROM RIC O'BARRY:

It's official, "The Cove" will open in Japan!

I can’t tell you all how tumultuous the last few weeks have been. Our greatest hope has always been to open “The Cove†in Japan. It’s the most powerful tool we have in ending the dolphin slaughter. Once people see it they have such a better understanding of the captivity issue, the IWC and more importantly, the senselessness and brutality with which these dolphins are dying.

So when theaters started cancelling their bookings, I got worried. When nationalists managed to shut down several campus screenings, I was convinced that this film would never make it into theaters. I started to really question Japan’s resolve as a democracy.

Check out:

In Reversal, Some Japan Theaters to Screen ‘The Cove’

By HIROKO TABUCHI

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/22/world/asia/22japan.html

Sometimes it only takes one person to stand up and say something is wrong. In this case, Unplugged’s CEO Takeshi Kato, would not rest. Kato San has traveled from city to city – Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, to name a few – meeting with theater owners. He was able to convince several theaters to not only keep the film but to come forward and stand up for the right to show it. If you ask me the nationalists picked the wrong door to knock on when they went to Kato San's house.

He gathered others that are concerned about freedom of expression, and we put together a symposium at the Tokyo Bar Association. Four of the theater owners came forward, along with notable journalists, film directors and pundits. In all, the following people participated:

- Mr. Shinodo, Editor in Chief of Tsukura Publishing

- Kei ishizaka, popular cartoonist

- Kunio Suzuki, former leader of right wing group Issuikai

- Soichiro Tahara, renowned journalist

- Yoichi Sai, film director

- Mr. Matsumara, theater owner, Osaka

- Ms. Kamiya, theater owner, Kyoto

- Mr. Hirano, theater owner, Nagoya

- Mr. Nagasawa, representative, Forum Theaters

More than 100 press attended with 11 camera crews, including the majors, TBS and NHK. We held it at the Tokyo Bar Association.

Each theater owner spoke to the fact that they felt threatened, but that it is important to stand up. Kato San announced that six theaters will open the film on July 3, with 16 more the following week.

I can’t thank Kato San and his team enough. Especially Miyuki Takamatsu, who has been running all the press and has been our rock since we got to Japan.

Thank you also for contributing to the Japan Campaign. We have a chance to reach the Cause Fundraising goal, thanks to you.

Domo Arigato!

Ric O'Barry and the Save Japan Dolphins Team