a little somethin for the backyard mechanics

so i dont know how many of you work on your own cars/trucks but i found a cool trick today and thought id share in case any of you run across this kind of thing in the future.

so if you have ever changed a serpentine belt, the 2 minutes taking it off does not justify the 2 hours trying to get it back on. in the past, i have used service manuals and even drawn my own routing charts. one belt around 14 pulleys is just ridiculous. so today i had to remove the belt on a 2004 dodge with a 5.7L gas engine, and it was about 23 degrees outside. instead of playin around and getting frustrated, i got enough slack in the belt to get it off the alternator, the ultimate goal, then holding the belt fairly snug with one hand, i duct taped it to the next two pulleys in the loop. that way, i only had slack wher i needed it, and the rest of the belt stayed right in place til i was finished. once the new alternator was in place, i help the belt to it, pulled the tape, and pried back the tensioner till i could get the last pully into the belt.

dunno if this will help anyone, but thought id share just in case :)

xPUDDYTATx ]

so i dont know how many of you work on your own cars/trucks but i found a cool trick today and thought id share in case any of you run across this kind of thing in the future.

so if you have ever changed a serpentine belt, the 2 minutes taking it off does not justify the 2 hours trying to get it back on. in the past, i have used service manuals and even drawn my own routing charts. one belt around 14 pulleys is just ridiculous. so today i had to remove the belt on a 2004 dodge with a 5.7L gas engine, and it was about 23 degrees outside. instead of playin around and getting frustrated, i got enough slack in the belt to get it off the alternator, the ultimate goal, then holding the belt fairly snug with one hand, i duct taped it to the next two pulleys in the loop. that way, i only had slack wher i needed it, and the rest of the belt stayed right in place til i was finished. once the new alternator was in place, i help the belt to it, pulled the tape, and pried back the tensioner till i could get the last pully into the belt.

dunno if this will help anyone, but thought id share just in case :)

woulda help me the week before christmas ::) ill have to go put some ductape in my car thanks for the info

Sgt.JoeFriday ]

Why would you have taken it all the way off if you weren't replacing it. That's my question.

i didnt want to take it off, thats the point. this is just a way i found to keep it in place. there are 11 pulleys on the front of the motor the less i have to take the belt off of, the better off i am

xPUDDYTATx ]
Sgt.JoeFriday ]

Why would you have taken it all the way off if you weren't replacing it. That's my question.

i didnt want to take it off, thats the point. this is just a way i found to keep it in place. there are 11 pulleys on the front of the motor the less i have to take the belt off of, the better off i am

No Doubt. I miss the old days. It's more efficient today and better on gas mileage they say but dang it makes it hard to work on this stuff ourselves.

Sgt.JoeFriday ]
xPUDDYTATx ]
Sgt.JoeFriday ]

No Doubt. I miss the old days. It's more efficient today and better on gas mileage they say but dang it makes it hard to work on this stuff ourselves.

more efficient i suppose, but ya lose a belt you lose EVERTHING!!! my 79 ford and my 85 chevy had v-belts and were slightly modified to use the same size belt on everything, so if i lost any one belt, i could steal another to get me home.

BLACKCLOUD ]

OMG am I really reading this. What a bunch of :-X. Its really a simple fix for any real mechanic. :-\

that is why the title of this thread refers to backyard mechanics, and not real mechanics. real mechanics work in a heated shop, have lotsa tool, service manuals, things like thta. this was a lil something for the guys who do their own shit in their own driveway in any weather. sorry to offend you