blinking red light ...ps3 60 gig

Mine is showing signs of failing on me and I'm getting really concerned. It's been freezing a LOT lately and it gets hung up on menu screens at times on Madden and MW2. I'm getting ready to trade it in to gamestop or sell it on ebay and pick up a slim with a Best Buy protection plan on it.

Rockman35 ]

Hey Backlash...before it fully craps out go trade it in at gamestop...they give you more money for it if it works...if it craps out they will only give you like $60.

That's what I'm planning on doing. I'm currently backing up all my files right now. I was debating to sell it on Ebay or trade it in on gamestop though. Gamestop will only give me $100 for it...Which leaves me paying $200 to upgrade to a SLIM.

BacklasH ]

Mine is showing signs of failing on me and I'm getting really concerned. It's been freezing a LOT lately and it gets hung up on menu screens at times on Madden and MW2. I'm getting ready to trade it in to gamestop or sell it on ebay and pick up a slim with a Best Buy protection plan on it.

FUCK GAMESTOP go to game crazy bro they give 40$ more for original 60gigs, I just made the switch and compared prices GS gives 100$ even the guys working there said I shouldn't do it. I went to game crazy and they offered 145$. I didn't sell to either of them I sold it for 200$ to someone. Ebay looks as though they are getting cheaper.

Anyway if your going to trade in go to Game Crazy, Game Stop is fucking horrible now.

My slim has been working great especially with the netflix CD it came with the only thing is no more sd slots and -2 usbs and no back compat.

BacklasH ]
Rockman35 ]

Hey Backlash...before it fully craps out go trade it in at gamestop...they give you more money for it if it works...if it craps out they will only give you like $60.

That's what I'm planning on doing. I'm currently backing up all my files right now. I was debating to sell it on Ebay or trade it in on gamestop though. Gamestop will only give me $100 for it...Which leaves me paying $200 to upgrade to a SLIM.

If I were you, Id throw it up on craigslist. I had offers up to $350 for my 60gb ... people really want the backwards compatibility. What sucked was, the guy who offered the $350, we couldn't get our schedules to line up so he could come over to make sure it's working, well the following weekend I got the yellow light of death.

Tool_Minion ]
X_-GHOST-_X ]

i took it apart yesterday ...ill heat sync it today ... hope it works ..

Quick question....when you boot it does it flash a yellowish light, THEN blink red? Because I think the straight red is a disc read error and requires a new BluRay reader.....

its acting just like the video ...

X_-GHOST-_X ]

it worked.... but its running hot ..... i think i need to redo the heat sink compound

Slnt_Bob fixed mine, and I watched him. He uses some expensive compound that is by order only....I guess all the stuff you can get at Radio Shack isn't much better than what came with it.

EDIT: Asked Bob, he said go get it from Best Buy.

• 2 weeks later...

So I watched all the vids on this fix. Why does taking a hair dryer and some heat compound fix the problem? Explain it in lamens terms. And what causes it to do this in the first place?? I'm just really curious.

I mean, if you had to replace some major piece of equipment in there, fine, I get that. But essentially you don't have to replace anything.

BTW, Ghost, did you finally get yours working? And if so, do you still own it and is it working fine now??

NOT a blow dryer. A HEAT GUN that will reach over 650 degrees.

The issue is the board heats up and the connections lose contact. "Reflowing" heats up the connections and allows them to reconnect. That is why it is SO critical to make sure the board is level when doing this and you don't touch it until it has time to TOTALLY cool.

Sgt.JoeFriday ]

NOT a blow dryer. A HEAT GUN that will reach over 650 degrees.

The issue is the board heats up and the connections lose contact. "Reflowing" heats up the connections and allows them to reconnect. That is why it is SO critical to make sure the board is level when doing this and you don't touch it until it has time to TOTALLY cool.

I know its not a blow dryer, that was a joke. But really, its basically a blower dryer with a bigger engine.

So what did Sony do wrong with the original PS3 that they are not doing with the slim models? AND, after you perform this task, are they more secure??

Not any stronger. For some it lasts a long time, for others it's only a temporary fix. I've "reflowed" a 60 GB 3 times. Not sure if it's my sink compound or if I'm just that bad at it. But needless to say I gave up and bought a slim.

The slims use less power and therefore generate less heat. Sony also improved the cooling system. But the jury's still out since they haven't been out but like 6 months. Wait 3 years and we'll see if they die like the original PS3s.

Sgt.JoeFriday ]

Not any stronger. For some it lasts a long time, for others it's only a temporary fix. I've "reflowed" a 60 GB 3 times. Not sure if it's my sink compound or if I'm just that bad at it. But needless to say I gave up and bought a slim.

The slims use less power and therefore generate less heat. Sony also improved the cooling system. But the jury's still out since they haven't been out but like 6 months. Wait 3 years and we'll see if they die like the original PS3s.

DAMN IT!! Thanks for heads though. Yea, as soon as I get mine back, its going up on Craig's list.