It finally happened to me

About a year ago my Launch 60gb unit went on the blink as well. But it wasn't the red light of death, the video card started producing artifacts like a gaming pc does when the video cards get too hot or are overclocked. I was moderately happy with the time I got out of it and I wanted to get a larger Hdd model so I gave it to my friend at work and he paid the $150 and in the end they gave him a brand new PS3... he was ecstatic! Now I've got the 120gb model, and the 250gb slim. B)

Well here's my timeline of PS3's...

I bought a 20 gig at launch because that's ALL that you could touch around here for the first few weeks (without spending ridiculous prices on Ebay). This was fine, until good titles started coming out on the PS3 and the 20 gig's of space was insufficient for my gaming needs. Also I needed Wifi for when I travel and bring my PS3 along (just in case the hotel has a firewall on the ethernet).

I upgraded to the "newer" 80 gig in September of 08 and sold my launch 20 gig to gamestop. I was a little bummed when I found out this wasn't like the MGS4 80 gig that had the capture card slots and 4 USB ports, but it was fine. Well that one got the YLOD in December of that same year...We were amid Horseman and I believe UF Black at the time of the crash, so I was forced to go buy another 80 gig, because waiting the 2-3 weeks for fixing was not an option. I got a BRAND new PS3 from Sony in January when I eventually sent out my broken PS3 (which had a 2 week turnaround, I was impressed). I sold that one from Sony on Ebay for roughly $350 and ended up losing only $50 from buying the replacement.

That is still my current PS3 and it's on it's last leg. It seems like the "newer" 80 gigs had a LOT of crashing problems. I haven't heard a bad thing about the SLIMS, but skeptics are abound. I will be upgrading to a 250 GB SLIM at the end of the week and my worries of another PS3 breaking on me will be gone.

IRISH BULL ]

CZ is fixing it for me. After I get it fixed, I'm putting it on Craig's list. I figured if and when I get someone that wants an original PS3 for the card slots and backwards capabilities, I'll get a new slim then.

BTW, did this occur from anything I could have done different? Its in a well ventilated area and I make sure the vents are always clean. When this happened though, I was DL'ing a lot of crap from the PSN store. Demo's and stuff from the video store. Or was this inevitable?

It can be inevitable but I would check your Ethernet cable for cuts in the wire, if there are any cuts in it, it will drop data and since you said you where downloading a lot of stuff it could be that. Thats what happened to me when my first ps3 died I replaced the wire.

Wrath ]It can be inevitable but I would check your Ethernet cable for cuts in the wire' date=' if there are any cuts in it, it will drop data and since you said you where downloading a lot of stuff it could be that. Thats what happened to me when my first ps3 died I replaced the wire.

[/quote']

No, I use the wireless access.

IRISH BULL ]
Wrath ]It can be inevitable but I would check your Ethernet cable for cuts in the wire' date=' if there are any cuts in it, it will drop data and since you said you where downloading a lot of stuff it could be that. Thats what happened to me when my first ps3 died I replaced the wire.

[/quote']

Hmm well then I would just say it past its lifetime and you must inform the relatives lol...

Wrath ]
IRISH BULL ]

[/quote']

Hmm well then I would just say it past its lifetime and you must inform the relatives lol...

NO, NO, NO. Its on life support right now. Its going to undergo major surgery this Saturday. I'm hoping it will pull through. Then its going up for adoption! Little defective bastard!! lol

IRISH BULL ]
Wrath ]
IRISH BULL ]

[/quote']

NO, NO, NO. Its on life support right now. Its going to undergo major surgery this Saturday. I'm hoping it will pull through. Then its going up for adoption! Little defective bastard!! lol

I wouldn't call it defective, I mean it lasted this long right? Look at it this way did you ever play your ps2 or xbox as long as you play your ps3 or 360, most people leave their ps3s/360s on doing other things that's wear and tear too. All the next gen systems are like this we never used the older systems as long as we used these monster bastards so I just say hey maybe the ps2s and all of them would have had the same problem, also they are doin so much at once so yea I wouldn't say defective I would say usage is just heavier now.

X_-GHOST-_X ]

mines dead .... i reflowed it ... it worked for about a hr . then i reformatted the hdd .. no luck .... so im dead in the water for a few ... i have one at home still but not at the shop ...

Well I hope this doesn't happen to mine. CZ told me he has done at least three already and the first one he did is still working fine. That was about four months ago. I'm hoping it sells before then.

Off topic, but Ghost, that new tag is cool and all, but the "\" disables you from getting PM's on these type of forums. At least it did when Hollow Ground was around. That's why on these forums we were [H] and not [\H/] , which was out actual tag.

Just a heads up is all. Oh, also on CoD:MW1, our tag showed up as [H/]. The "\" didn't show up because of the coding.

So I'm still torn on my options. A guy on EBAY is selling my exact everything for 219.00 NO BIDS and 20+ mins left...Gamestop is out because they only offer $100. Gamecrazy is out because I don't have one within 30-45 minutes of me. Craigslist it might be, though I've never used it.

So I'm picking mine up on Wednesday. CZ is the shiz-nit and fixed it. But now I want to put it up on Craig's list.

What do I need to copy the few vids I took with the Eye camera and all the pics. Also, what will I lose if and when I get rid of it? I know I can re-download the games I purchased from the store, but what about game saves? Are they gone if I get rid of it?

And, what do I need to do to basically wipe it clean of any and all info on the HDD?

IRISH BULL ]

Will one of those cooling fans help prevent this from happening again? At least until I can get a PS3 Slim.

If it's one of the ones that plug into the ps3, it does nothing. One wi an external power source would be ok. The best way is get a good house fan of your choice and use that. Hell you can probably find one that's quieter than the ones made for the ps3.

Nevermind on anything anymore. Got it back today, YLOD two minutes later. >:( >:( At least I got my copy of MW2 out before it took a shit.

Questions:

CZ put in his old 20gb HDD when he gave it back to me. He did this because my 60gb has some video of my daughter on it that I didn't want to lose when it reformats. Which it did. I gotta get a HDD reader of some sort that I can plug into my computer, I guess. Any cheap suggestions??

When I started it up, I was able to check a few things before it crapped out on me. It signed in automatically like normal, because I had it set up that way. So none of that function is obviously on the HDD? Which concerns me, a lot.

If I try and sell it for like $50 and someone actually buys it. If they get it fixed and turn it on, they will essentially have complete access to all my PSN accounts I have on it, correct?? I mean, I still have PSN store cash on one of my accounts.

Is there anyway to wipe this piece of shit clean, or am I screwed? Screwed in the sense that I can't even sell it as YLOD to someone who wants to try and fix it.