J. Peppers to the Giants?

Breaking: Giants to Offer Peppers $100 Million?

According to Boomer & Carton of 66AM WFAN, the New York Giants will be offering free agent defensive end Julius Peppers an Albert Haynesworth-like $100 million deal at midnight on Thursday night…the very moment free agency begins.

Whether or not this turns out to be true remains to be seen; after all, it could simply be Boomer & Carton blowing smoke. However, there have been various rumors circulating about Peppers and the Giants since the offseason began, and if history has taught us anything, it’s that Big Blue loves top-notch pass rushers.

Assuming this is accurate information, it raises more questions than it provides answers.

Will it spell the end of Osi Umenyiora? And if so, how much can New York Get for him?

After dropping $100 million on another defensive end, will the Giants have enough to spent on a linebacker and/or safety?

And how much additional money will it cost the team when it comes time to re-sign Justin Tuck?

There’s no denying that Peppers is one of the best defensive ends in the league. And hell, a Justin Tuck/Julius Peppers combination would easily be the most devastating in the NFL. But the Giants have much more pressing needs and it’s highly uncharacteristic of this franchise to drop that sort of money on a player (other than Eli Manning).

Still, anything is possible and it will be interesting to see how this plays out. And as always, stick to Giants 101 as we update this situation.

source

I hope this is a joke. 100 million for a 30 year old? Too much money for a guy with not that many good years left. Also is Osi gone? Kiwanuka gone? Giants have more needs than DE. You offer that kind of money to one guy, you better be prepared to let go of 3 others in the future.

SILENT_JRITE ]

chaka said it, even rumors of it has me shitting myself. i think they'd be dumb enough to do it, and that disappoints me sincerely. on defense they have bigger needs than the d-line.

While I hear ya on that, you CAN get away with a suspect secondary with a stellar D-line. Many teams have LIVED on the pass rush when they had crappy secondaries. As long as your DT's can stuff the run, and your LB's are capable playing sideline to sideline, you wouldn't have to worry too much about your secondary.

Tool_Minion ]
SILENT_JRITE ]

chaka said it, even rumors of it has me shitting myself. i think they'd be dumb enough to do it, and that disappoints me sincerely. on defense they have bigger needs than the d-line.

While I hear ya on that, you CAN get away with a suspect secondary with a stellar D-line. Many teams have LIVED on the pass rush when they had crappy secondaries. As long as your DT's can stuff the run, and your LB's are capable playing sideline to sideline, you wouldn't have to worry too much about your secondary.

What do you know? Your a Chiefs fan. ;) ;D

Tool_Minion ]
SILENT_JRITE ]

damn straight we can, remember the team in 07? secondary was OKAY, linebackers were pretty good, and that d-line was BEASTLY. not the same team now, mainly the linebacker core is down to one MAYBE two DECENT LB's. honestly, its where the most work is needed, NOT the d-line.

z-Prime-z ]
Tool_Minion ]
SILENT_JRITE ]

What do you know? Your a Chiefs fan. ;) ;D

Thats right, and the Chiefs had one of the most dominant defenses in all of football from 89-99. ;) I may be old Prime, but I still know enough about football to speculate.

I would love to see Peppers in a Bears uniform, but who knows. It's going to cost a pretty penny to bring him in. I'd like to see Aaron Kampmann come in if we don't get Peppers. He'd be moving back to end where he was a FREAK. The concern with Kampmann is his age and the knee injury, but he's a low cost/low risk signing. Alex Brown has already pushed for Kampmann, so we'll see. Both are 30 years old, with Peppers obviously being more healthy.

ESPN was reporting tampering charges might be filed against the Bears because they met with Peppers' agent. There's no way they will prove a contract was discussed, much like with Albert Haynesworth and the 'Skins last year.

I too would love to see the Bears make a play for Marshall, Prane. We never draft well in the 1st round anyhow or trade our 1st round picks away on draft day. The only 1st round picks that have really worked out over the past decade are Urlacher, Harris (well kind of), and Olsen.

I heard it put best though, for a 1st round WR will you get such a sure fire player as Marshall, whom is only 25 himself? No. Teams are stupid not to go after him for a 1st rounder, especially if they intend(ed) on using that pick on a receiver (that includes Dez Bryant). The only issue with him is attitude, but he's no where near a T.O. type.

I'm still hoping I get a text message from ESPN at 12:05 AM "The Bears have signed DE Julius Peppers." :D

At first I wasn't too sure of an uncapped year in the NFL, but the more I look at at it I like it. It seems to have put more power back to the teams. I like the fact teams can keep their draft picks for 6 years, without breaking the bank. If you do lose them at least their is compensation. I think overall it will also hold back from huge contracts in FA as well. Teams will not be throwing around as much money to older players.

All in all I think for owners and fans it's great, it does suck for players, but really I think some of these contracts have been getting out of control of late.

For smaller markets teams get to hold on to their players, and for larger markets, they too will have to rely on their scouting department more then just spending cash on other teams players.

Prane ]

The Bills stll blow Johnny. Sorry to tell you. They need some major work this offseason. ;D

Yes the Bills do blow, and I think they will for years to come........ :'(

The Bills are like a child to me, no matter what they do to disappoint me, I will always love them no matter what.

PENGU1N8766 ]
BacklasH ]

Peppers to Da Bears looks like a done deal, as many are reporting. He will be in town today, most likely signing the contract. :D

Now on to Brandon Marshall for a 2011 first round pick and O-Line help. :)

Now all Chicago has to do is get a QB that doesn't suck!!

Yeah, because I'm sure a lot of other QB's in the league would have done a ton better. Especially considering we had the worst O-Line in football, an underachieving Forte (O-Line is partially responsible there too), and no clear cut number 1 receiver or veteran receiver. ::)