Server Conversion and Why

• Directors

This is from last week:

This is going to be a venting thread of sorts as well...

I know I was very short with everyone on Aim when this shit was going on and I do apologize, as you can imagine it was chaos...

So here is the nuts and bolts of what happened...

First let’s start with the ticket created by Lunar After they took the server down...

Hello,

During my routine monitoring of the server , I could find that your account was consuming too much of resources on the server which was degrading the performance of the service on the server.

The usage for your account on the server for the day is shown below,

==================================================

redcel2 urgentfury.com

CPU:25.41

Memory:3.92

Mysql:2.0

Top Process %CPU 81.1 /usr/local/php5/bin/php-cgi /home/redcel2/public_html/blog/index.php

Top Process %CPU 80.0 /usr/local/php5/bin/php-cgi /home/redcel2/public_html/uf_forum/index.php

Top Process %CPU 44.3 /usr/local/php5/bin/php-cgi /home/redcel2/public_html/blog/index.php

===================================================

You may access Cpanel via https://procyon.lunarpages.com:2083/ to make necessary changes.

Please note that we do not allow excessive resource utilization of an account on the shared environment as it will affect the other users on the server . So in shared servers you will have to be in the acceptable limit by which you will be able to share the resources on the server with other users on it.

Please check your configuration of your scripts, and see if there are any tweaks that might improve the performance. Also, please disable any not needed plugins, as they are often the cause of high usage by bad programming.

The most common cause for a high resource usage are old scripts. Please upgrade your scripts to their latest version, as newer versions fix bugs that usually cause the server's resource usage to be above normal.

If your scripts are already at their newest version, you might try and implement a caching system, as this will allow your websites to serve pre-generated HTML pages instead of using the resource intensive scripts to generate the page on every view.

If all of the above fails to reduce your usage your account might just not be suitable for our shared server environment and you need to consider other options.

You may upgrade your package to our Dedicated hosting plan. For more information on the features and pricing, please see http://www.lpdedicated.com/servers/linux.php

Please let us know once you have made changes that affect your account's usage so we can check if it is suitable for shared server usage again.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask us, we will be happy to answer them. Please feel free to contact us for further help.

--

Kind Regards,

Catalin Singurelu

System Administrator Team

To translate because you are using cheap hosting we have 100's of domains on one server and UF is using to much of its Share

You will also notice the statement about we should look at upgrading to a dedicated server...

Now this is not the first time we went down this road... everyone remembers this happened back in November...

Well this time instead of letting us find and resolve the issue they refused to let us turn back on the forums and blog unless we moved to a dedicated server.

That is the start of the "Grabbing us by the nuts"

So at this point we are being held hostage with the only way out is to pay the ransom of 3 months of Dedicated Server fees before we can reactivate the forums...

Ok so we negotiated a rate and agreed that we would pay this even though we still were not happy with the way we were treated...

Ok round 2...

After much dismay we (directors) decide that we need to get back online and pay the ransom...

But Wait Lunar fails to tell us that to match our current set up of Cpanel, they need to charge us even more money.

An extra $25 per month they say...

We are in fact already stuck with this and they know we can't say no... And then they came back to say that we cannot bring the forums back on until the dedicated server is ready.

So now that they have squeezed every dime possible out of us the assure me that the server will be up in time for war times as we made it very clear the Forums are the center of our site.

And of course that did not happen...

Here is where we stand...

We are on the ransom server and we are deciding our next steps... this was a huge financial blow that we were not ready for...

We did know that we would need a server eventually but were sure that it was not coming yet... We will do our best to keep the staff in the loop of what is going on, as we are planning on moving from the ransom server very quickly.

Ok Guys So it is March 5th, 2010 and we are now using a dedicated server from www.theplanet.com. We are using a custom server build with lots of great features:

Cpanel

Fantastico Deluxe

RVSiteBuilder

and more...

I have been running web servers for well over 10 years now, so we went through very carefully to make sure that we have plenty of features and room for upgrades.

So what this means now...

We have a Hummer Limo with lots of room for more people to join the party. This means yes we are going to offer hosting to offset the cost of this beast of a server.

But let’s talk about this and why Lunar was so much of an issue about the resource usage...

Since I can't pull our old IP, cause I don't remember it... anyway I went to look at some lunar hosted sites and found Uprising's server info...

They are on Lunar's Lancaster server on ip 64.50.161.35

If you go to http://whois.domaintools.com/64.50.161.35 and check the stats on the IP, there are 595 sites being hosted on the server. This is how Shared Hosting works...

For those that have "Unlimited" hosting, you would be surprised how limited you really are.

Anyway so to move on from that rant, here is what we are going to offer...

Pricing:

Monthly - $8.00 per month

1 Year - $84.00 ($7 per month)

2 Year - $144.00 ($6 per month)

Though we are not going to say Unlimited space and bandwidth, we are going to set a limit to 10gb so that we can check to see if an account is having issues or a script has been compromised. But if your traffic is legit or you really need more space, then we will add more.

We are not going to try and become the next hostgator, but we are going to offer quality hosting on the same platform at a little cheaper price to help offset the cost of our server.

Let us know if you have any questions... http://myhosting.urgentfury.net

We would like to thank the community for your understanding and support as we worked through the server transfers, ip changes and overall kidnapping of Urgent Fury by Lunar Pages.

If you ever do have questions about your hosting issues (no matter your host provider), always feel free to shoot me a pm, and I will get to it as quickly as possible.

Urgent Fury Command

• 2 weeks later...
  • Directors

We would like to welcome Clan Uprising to Urgent Fury Hosting along with Merc-City.com and more...

For those that have Cpanel, the move is very painless transfer...