Who Installed another Operating System on your PS3?

Yeah, you were able to install Linux on your PS3 and use it like a regular computer.

Sony is quick to point out the install is "optional", but then, if you refuse to upgrade, you'll no longer be able to sign into the PlayStation Network or play any PS3 games (or Blu-Rays) that require v3.21 (or higher). So no, for many people, it's not really optional.

Yep. Sony will get sued on this one. You can't just take a purchased device's advertised functionality away from it. Lots of people, including the Air Force, use PS3s for real work.

How would you like it if the ACME Keyboard company came to your office and removed all the number keys?

Edit: Other places are pointing out that this is being released on April Fool's and it's not adding any features or fixing any bugs. It could be a ruse.

xXNAME_HEREXx ]
Shane ]

How bout taking the letter I off the keyboard, could you magne

how bout the letter A tht would suck s well...well not relly i dont need n ...

LMO yes t would. I don't think they'll follow through. If they do they some of my guys are screwed. A few are guru's and love linux so we'll see

I know a guy here at work that installed another OS on it, as for what there is.....If you want to look up a Linux OS look up Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian just to name a few, they are very simple operating systems that are Linux based, you could download any of these and install them on your PS3 to make it a more or less full blown computer along with gaming console, Hell a lot of these OS's are so simple and easy to navigate and work with they are better than anything the windows puts out.....just google the OS's I named above, you may want to partition your HD and throw one of these on there.

Wrath ]

I don't care never used it so yea....joke or not I don't care I didn't buy a ps3 for crappy ass linux.

Um. Yeah.

First, just ask google how crappy linux is. Their whole business is run on it.

Second, you're lucky that there are people out there who do want to keep corporations from running all over citizens.

The PS3 will be fully hacked shortly, and I say, "go for it." Sony is forcing people to do it. It will be fully compromised, not so people can pirate games, but so they can get back the functionality the product had when they purchased it. Then the pirates will jump on board and fuck everyone's gaming experience up. If you think the online shooters are crappy now, just wait till the modders start showing up. It's all because Sony pulled the advertised ability for PS3 owners to do something they want with a legally purchased product. Sony just screwed themselves, us gamers, and the developers with one bonehead move.

IRISH BULL ]

Turns out it was a Linux thing, not a Other OS thing.

http://www.destructoid.com/ps3-bringing-back-other-os-feature-for-netscape-169588.phtml

Netscape's basically for people who don't know how to type with two hands, which adequately describes the PS3 user base.
:laugh:

Hey, wait a minute...

Chili?

For those that don't get the whole Linux thing, Linux is a linear based OS platform that gives people the ability to use freeware based programs to create their own functional OS without having to rely on something like windows, and if you don't know how to create one there are over 75 linux based operating systems out there you can download for FREE that give you everything that windows gives you without the headachs and problems that windows has because it does not reply in DOS formating (hope that makes sense) if you have every used a computer system by a company called Sun then you have used a linux OS, they are are very simple to use and understand. I have a Linux OS on my laptop, I never put one on my PS3 because I never found the need, but for the numbers let me throw this at you, a Linux OS takes up around 500 MB, Windows takes 10gig's and they both have the same basic functions....not to mention that Linux has a patch you instal that will make all windows games and programs compatible.

BGCNTRY ]

For those that don't get the whole Linux thing, Linux is a linear based OS platform that gives people the ability to use freeware based programs to create their own functional OS without having to rely on something like windows, and if you don't know how to create one there are over 75 linux based operating systems out there you can download for FREE that give you everything that windows gives you without the headachs and problems that windows has because it does not reply in DOS formating (hope that makes sense) if you have every used a computer system by a company called Sun then you have used a linux OS, they are are very simple to use and understand. I have a Linux OS on my laptop, I never put one on my PS3 because I never found the need, but for the numbers let me throw this at you, a Linux OS takes up around 500 MB, Windows takes 10gig's and they both have the same basic functions....not to mention that Linux has a patch you instal that will make all windows games and programs compatible.

One thing I do know about linux is that Ubuntu is good for linux newbs!

A work-around thread is here: http://3004.pokemonger.com/showthread.php?tid=21

In a nutshell, when you go to go online, your PS3 will be redirected to a different non-sony server to get the current firmware requirements. The server can either be your own computer or one listed in the thread that is set up for this.

I haven't tried it yet, and I probably will not have time to try it until Sunday. Good luck and please let us know if it works for you.

It doesn't bother me- I say let Sony do what it needs to. If I had to rely on my PS3 for anything other than a gaming system and blue ray player I might be pissed... I use a real PC for anything else.

All in all though I am very happy with the hardware- My ps3 has never taken a shit on me and I have the ole fat 60 gig....

I know of a few other systems out there that (when 1st launched) bragged about HD movies and their "quality of hardware" only to have HD go the way of betamax and a 9 month halflife on their system/ ring of death.

xXNAME_HEREXx ]
Shane ]

Funny story. My 3 year old actually ripped the n key off of my laptop and chucked it out the window. POOF! gone forever and I have yet to find/replace it. Sucks big time. Especially when your name is Swie.

Swine__ ]
xXNAME_HEREXx ]
Shane ]

Funny story. My 3 year old actually ripped the n key off of my laptop and chucked it out the window. POOF! gone forever and I have yet to find/replace it. Sucks big time. Especially when your name is Swie.