Griffey retires after 22 years

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5244661

Living Legend

Mariners great Ken Griffey Jr. retired on Wednesday at the age of 40. He finishes his career with 630 homers, fifth on the all-time list. Here's a look:

Player Homers

Barry Bonds 762

Hank Aaron 755

Babe Ruth 714

Willie Mays 660

Ken Griffey Jr. 630

Sammy Sosa 609

He was an incredible player and the game wont be the same without him.

To me Junior is #4, unless you slap an * after Barry...

He was the image of baseball in the 90's. His stretch of baseball in Seattle was one of the greatest performances by any player in any decade. He was just SO great and above the steroids era. One of the true heroes of the Steroids Era that NEVER needed to use Roids to be a great ball player. It's unfortunate what happened to his body when he went to Cincinnatti, but that's what is SUPPOSED to happen to your body after the wear and tear when you hit your 30's. Not like some steroid induced players that last until their 40's and in some cases put up better numbers in the ladder stages of their career (see Roger Clemens/Barry Bonds). Just imagine how good he could have been if injuries didn't play such a huge role in the 2nd half of his career. He'd be number 1, no doubt.

Griffey is and always will be a class act. I sure hope this isn't the last we see of him in the baseball world. Perhaps as an analyst or as a coach. This is a sad day for the game of baseball.

BacklasH ]

To me Junior is #4, unless you slap an * after Barry...

He was the image of baseball in the 90's. His stretch of baseball in Seattle was one of the greatest performances by any player in any decade. He was just SO great and above the steroids era. One of the true heroes of the Steroids Era that NEVER needed to use Roids to be a great ball player. It's unfortunate what happened to his body when he went to Cincinnatti, but that's what is SUPPOSED to happen to your body after the wear and tear when you hit your 30's. Not like some steroid induced players that last until their 40's and in some cases put up better numbers in the ladder stages of their career (see Roger Clemens/Barry Bonds). Just imagine how good he could have been if injuries didn't play such a huge role in the 2nd half of his career. He'd be number 1, no doubt.

Griffey is and always will be a class act. I sure hope this isn't the last we see of him in the baseball world. Perhaps as an analyst or as a coach. This is a sad day for the game of baseball.

Very well said! Unfortunately, he will be bumped down to #6 on the list when another steroid user named Arod passes him. The "kid" will go down as one of the greatest of all time!

Couldn't have said it better Lash. Griffey was my hero in the 90's growing up. He will always be one of my favorite players and he was a man amongst boys in the steroid era. It goes to show how much of a professional he is that he was never even in question of juicing.

DevilJack33 ]

One of the sweetest lefty swing ever..I sometimes didn't care for his attitude but,what he has done in his career is great...oh what it might been with out all the injuries when he was with the Reds.

That's easy... he would have shattered almost every batting record out there.