Cross Platform Play

Valve working on cross platform play between PC, Mac and PS3 for Portal 2 and maybe more..

http://www.thekartel.com/zylvin/blog/2010/06/17/valve_plans_to_have_cross-platform_co-op_between_ps3_and_pcmac_for_portal_2

a6a9efcd0f688575825351d0ecf9e707.jpg?v=204000

Valve's Portal 2 presentation at E3 was packed full of gameplay videos showing off new features and an intriguing story line. While co-op gameplay wasn't shown, Valve developer Erik Johnson did reveal one new bit of info. Valve is planning to allow PS3 players play with PC/Mac players.

When questioned on the cross-compatibility between Steamworks and Steam, specifically playing co-op on a computer with someone on a PS3, he said it was "something the team is gunning for." We also confirmed with Valve developer Mike Dunkle who said "The plan is you will be able to play between console and PC."

What's interesting about this scenario is that it could theoretically be applied to any of Valve's online games, meaning the entire Orange Box and any other games on Steam and consoles.

e35d8a7b91b910d3a7026afa9af7d60d.jpg?v=189600

For Xbox 360 owners, we did inquire whether this was a possibility as well. Johnson commented that there are no current plans to bring Steamworks over to the Xbox 360, as ultimately the ball is in Microsoft's court.

Don't get me wrong I think it would be pretty cool to have cross platform and compete against EVERYBODY BUT.... Do you get a an advantage with controls over other platforms? Obviously some will argue keyboard and mouse are more percise so that is an advantage over a PS3 controller for a shooter.

Also the BIGGEST thing that will be argued is it is possible to modify config files on a PC where as XBOX or PS3 you really cannot. So how do you handle that situation?

I guess another argument could be that it is easy to out hardware the XBOX or PS3. So does that give the user the ability to manipulate code, run another app while playing? Obviously this has been an issue for years in PC online gaming but it could REALLY put the consoles at a big disadvantage.

People can argue that there are cheat catching software out there but those have been cracked and circumvented so there is no real 100% solution. I wish there were and I wish I knew how because then I would be one rich MFER!

I dont understand, so Games for Windows isn't involved with Valve.?

Or they need to approve it or something.?

It would be cool on some games, but not on others.. as you said shane, most shooters wont be fair. But co-op & other games could be GREAT.!! (non MP)

I think we're missing the big picture here guys. This is the first step towards the future of gaming. I can't wait for this just because of the possible implications. I hope we get to see X-box and Playstation together someday. Will Microsoft and Sony kiss and make up? Only time will tell.

Prane ]

I think we're missing the big picture here guys. This is the first step towards the future of gaming. I can't wait for this just because of the possible implications. I hope we get to see X-box and Playstation together someday. Will Microsoft and Sony kiss and make up? Only time will tell.

Not likely but if they can find a way to make money on it I'm sure they will be all for it. :laugh:

Prane ]

O what a beautiful thing that would be.

But I don't see it working out. One can only dream about the day it'll happen.

It would seem to be very beneficial to design one master gaming Console in a Joint Venture with Sony and Microsoft.

Take the best of both....

PSBOX 1080

Imagine if ALL Console Gamers came together to War or Compete on One Console.

AC ]

It would seem to be very beneficial to design one master gaming Console in a Joint Venture with Sony and Microsoft.

Take the best of both....

PSBOX 1080

Imagine if ALL Console Gamers came together to War or Compete on One Console.

will never happen competitive edge is what keeps them from makin garbage