Yes you probably should be concerned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

A rootkit is a collection of tools (programs) that enable administrator-level access to a computer or computer network. Typically, a cracker installs a rootkit on a computer after first obtaining user-level access, either by exploiting a known vulnerability or cracking a password. Once the rootkit is installed, it allows the attacker to mask intrusion and gain root or privileged access to the computer and, possibly, other machines on the network. Although rootkits can serve a variety of ends, they have gained notoriety as malware, appropriating computing resources without the knowledge of the administrators or users of affected systems. Rootkits can target the BIOS, hypervisor, boot loader, kernel or less commonly, libraries or applications.

The term rootkit is a concatenation of the administrative account in (primarily) Unix operating systems (root user account) and the word "kit", which refers to the software components that implement the tool.

Edited by Crusty_Demons

download this and run it on your PC:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

I dont recall if it updates on it's own, so be sure to run an update in the program before having it scan your computer. This should be able to clean most of the kits and nasties out there nowadays.

I'm not sure what avast means by "blocking" a rootkit, it could be blocking attempts to contact a known payload url or it could be blocking a certain website/etc from attempting to install the rootkit when you visit it, etc. what are you doing/what programs are running when you see these messages?

Edited by GeneralSarcasm

GeneralSarcasm;815264']download this and run it on your PC:

I dont recall if it updates on it's own' date=' so be sure to run an update in the program before having it scan your computer. This should be able to clean most of the kits and nasties out there nowadays.

I'm not sure what avast means by "blocking" a rootkit, it could be blocking attempts to contact a known payload url or it could be blocking a certain website/etc from attempting to install the rootkit when you visit it, etc. what are you doing/what programs are running when you see these messages?[/quote']

Nothing. It just popped up when I attempted to open my web browser. I use Firefox.

GeneralSarcasm;815264']download this and run it on your PC:

I dont recall if it updates on it's own' date=' so be sure to run an update in the program before having it scan your computer. This should be able to clean most of the kits and nasties out there nowadays.

I'm not sure what avast means by "blocking" a rootkit, it could be blocking attempts to contact a known payload url or it could be blocking a certain website/etc from attempting to install the rootkit when you visit it, etc. what are you doing/what programs are running when you see these messages?[/quote']

I tried this but it keeps bringing me to a page to sign up for crap. Am I doing something wrong?

It sounds like Avast is not able to handle whatever it is that you have going on. Try the Generals link and let us know what happens. There is a huge scam going on to steal peoples bank accounts right now and you might unwillingly be a part of it. It hit the UK first but that doesn't mean much. These types of things like to hide themselves in the adverts of various websites.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1302062/New-trojan-virus-Zeus-v3-empties-online-bank-accounts.html

Edited by Crusty_Demons

Your computer will save files you downloaded in most cases in your documents folder. What version of windows are you using?

If your using fire fox go to the tools menu at the top click downloads and then double click the file you just downloaded. This will accomplish the same thing as finding where it is located on your computer.

Edited by Crusty_Demons

I found it, with the help of my wife. I ran it and it found 5 infected files and removed them. Also, the virus pop up from Avast also stopped. Thanks A LOT General!

But before I start celebrating, how do I know if its officially fixed? Is there any sure way to make sure its safe to work on my PC?? i.e banking and paying bills.

GeneralSarcasm;815336']you should be ok. I would reboot your PC and run malwarebytes again to make sure nothing bad gets reinstalled on boot. did you do the update inside malwarebytes by the way? if you didnt make sure you run the update in there before scanning this time.

There isn't any way to be absolutely sure?

Also' date=' here is an update that could not install today, and I believe its important.

[b']

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for Windows 2000 and Windows XP (KB979906)[/b]

What should I do?