Internet connection question

So does anyone around here have Direct TV? Pros and cons?

I love it. Hands down best company I have ever dealt with. I have been with them for well over 10 years and don't ever see myself leaving them. They give away all those crazy deals for signing up because they know their customer service will keep you around. There are some issues with weather but you can have the same issues with cable. Most people don't realize that cable companies get their signal beamed down from a satellite before they send it out to you on a cable. I wouldn't use their internet service unless you are in the boonies and have no other options. It has pretty high latency just because of the fact that it is not hardwired and has to travel through the atmosphere to make the connection.

If you do decide to sign up get a friend who has it already and get their account number. Give it to directv and tell them they referred you and you will each get a hundred bucks.

I had DirecTV years ago, before Comcast monopolized Cable around here. The only gripe was having it in Chicago weather. Between wind, rain, ice, and snow it would frequently go out. This was at least 7-10 years ago, but still the same problems persist. I want to switch over to DirecTV for tv and keep Comcast for internet, but I'm still on the fence. I want the damn Sunday Ticket!

o-BacklasH-o;816088']I had DirecTV years ago' date=' before Comcast monopolized Cable around here. The only gripe was having it in Chicago weather. Between wind, rain, ice, and snow it would frequently go out. This was at least 7-10 years ago, but still the same problems persist. I want to switch over to DirecTV for tv and keep Comcast for internet, but I'm still on the fence. I want the damn Sunday Ticket![/quote']

Yeah that's the downside. Where I live all we get is blazing hot sun, wind and the occasional thunder storm. If I lived in an area with bad weather it might be a different story.

Lash, I LOVE Direct tv. I LOVE the direct ticket. I've found that spraying my dish with pam helps alot. The only time it doesn't help, is during the hellacious downpours. Either way, I wouldn't give up direct tv for anything. Mostly because of the Ticket.

I agree as welll Direct TV will require a new dish system be installed and just like it's television counter part its prone to weather issues which block the sat signal.

I would do the old goat trick of calling your cable company and speaking to a rep then tell them you have AT&T on the other line and you are thinking of switching over... you could even mention you are planning on talking to Direct TV as well.. upload speed and download for that matter can be adjusted, in fact they can practically set it as high as they want They limit it on their end, so if you want faster and cheaper tell them you are thinking of firing them.. you will get a reaction I am sure and if the rep you are speaking with doesn't offer a better deal ask to speak to their supervisor.. I do this for mobile phone service, internet service and television service every time my renewal is up and nothing works better than telling them "you're Fired" and then let them argue about who's going to give you the best deal to retain your subscription.

I just found out that my cable company WILL NOT ALLOW me to have more than TWO DVRS!@#$! WTF? We have 4 televisions and I want a DVR in each room or at the very least, the ability to receive dvr signal in each room so I can record stuff for my kids. I am going to test ATT for a month on their DSL and if it all goes well, then I am going to buy a magic jack for my phone, go with ATT for my internet and sign up with Direct TV for my tv viewing pleasure. Besides, I can get HD and DVR on ALL FOUR TVs with Direct for the SAME PRICE I pay for two DVRs in two rooms with regular cable in the other two rooms. And in the second two rooms, I don't get digital service, so we only get about 50 or so channels on those two televiisions.

As posted, tell your cable company you are leaving because you want 4 DVR's they will either do it for you, or you just leave & go to Direct TV.

I'm surprised to hear that though.. what cable company do you have.?

Yea dont bother using Direct TV for internet (if they even offer that)

Sat internet is not worth doggy poop. :)

o-BacklasH-o;816088']I had DirecTV years ago' date=' before Comcast monopolized Cable around here. The only gripe was having it in Chicago weather. Between wind, rain, ice, and snow it would frequently go out. This was at least 7-10 years ago, but still the same problems persist. I want to switch over to DirecTV for tv and keep Comcast for internet, but I'm still on the fence. I want the damn Sunday Ticket![/quote']

I am in the same friggin boat. I LOVED DirectTV. I had to switch to Comcast because they are the only company that offer internet where I am located. So to get the better price on internet, I had to go with cable for everything.

You know what I get a kick out of Irish? I do the same thing with the internet and cable TV for the best deal, but do NOT use their phone service. When the Cable and Internet go out it NEVER fails that the Customer Service Rep tries to pitch me their phone service. I want to reach through the phone and just strangle them. I ask them the following question, which usually dumbfounds them: "Do you realize if I had your crappy phone service, I would not be able to call you right now?"

I've been praying for Verizon FiOS to be available in the area for too long. In a perfect world I would stick with AT&T for home phone, Verizon FiOS for Internet, and DirecTV for cable.

Edited by o-BacklasH-o

o-BacklasH-o;816249']You know what I get a kick out of Irish? I do the same thing with the internet and cable TV for the best deal' date=' but do NOT use their phone service. When the Cable and Internet go out it NEVER fails that the Customer Service Rep tries to pitch me their phone service. I want to reach through the phone and just strangle them. I ask them the following question, which usually dumbfounds them: "Do you realize if I had your crappy phone service, I would not be able to call you right now?"

I've been praying for Verizon FiOS to be available in the area for too long. In a perfect world I would stick with AT&T for home phone, Verizon FiOS for Internet, and DirecTV for cable.

Yes, that would be awesome.

Chili327;816207']As posted' date=' tell your cable company you are leaving because you want 4 DVR's they will either do it for you, or you just leave & go to Direct TV.

I'm surprised to hear that though.. what cable company do you have.?

Yea dont bother using Direct TV for internet (if they even offer that)

Sat internet is not worth doggy poop. :)[/quote']

It's just a local cable company called White County Cable.