history lesson?

there is a lot of oloder guys around here, so im wonderin what your opinion is on this...

my first memories of video games was at the age of around 5. i used to play PONG with my dad in our basement growin up almost every night. there were no fancy colors or backgrounds, just two flat lines and a lil bitty square bouncin back and forth. after that came space invaders. i really remember the night i paused that game just shy of rollin the score back to zeros, and waiting an hour fpr my dad to come home so i could kill 2 more aliens and set the score back to all zeros!!! soo came asteroids, missle comand, then on to larger things like donkey kong, pac-man, and frogger. as a youth, all of these games were just awesome, and i was perfectly content.

moving forward, lets talk super mario bothers. there is maybe 10% of the population that dont know the theme song, and maybe less that aint played it. it was the biggest thing in the world for many of us. anyone remeber the up, up, down, down, etc code? pretty standard for gaming, and for me, contra :) i had fun with those games, and many of them built memories for me...especially when my dad was involved.

fast forward a few years...

i have been playing fallout: new vegas for about 2 weeks now. this game, since day one, has been laggy, glitchy, and freezes constantly. funny thing is, it is built on the havoc engine, which has been around for 10 years. after 3 previous fallout games, they cant get this one right? outside of fallout, i have been thouroughly disappointed in many games over the last couple of years. it sems they are al about graphics, and sounds, but have epically failed when it comes to gameplay. im tired of games tha have a patch on release day, games that i have to update the day after i buy them, and especially at 60 bucks a pop.

so, do any of you remember the days of simple games? games that were just fun, and we enjoyed? even without countlss friends online, just you and you dad, or neighborhod best friend in you basement, and just sayin yu got a new high score? or made it to a new level? what happened to simplicity and enjoyment? would ay of you give up textures, shadows, and horizons just to have a game that worked when it launched?

farmville has such a huge following because it has people of all ages and genders playing it.

I started gaming the same as you puddy, my dad bought a pong console. later on we got an atari2600. I think we had this for a long time. I played games on a commodore 64 after that, and didn't have another console until the original nintendo.

There were plenty of really bad games made for the atari (ET anyone?) and good ones too, so this is nothing new, although all the games did run well on their intended systems. Heck they had to get it right before shipping, there was no "online" and there was never an option to patch. Now that there is I'm sure the marketing / sales departments force devs to get things out the door even if they aren't finished because they know they can fix things at a later time if they even intend on it, and sometimes they have other reasons to get to market. The new Medal of Honor is a perfect example of this- they released a game that in my opinion was not ready, but the marketing people had to get that title out the door before Black Ops. If they released it after, I don't think they would have sold a third of what they did especially after the poor reviews.

You would think competition would make for better games but for some reason that just doesn't seem to be the case in the gaming industry.

Edited by GeneralSarcasm

I think im the youngest one here, but even i started playing the old stuff. I was born in 1992 and lived in Ecuador until i was 10, for the most part we played NES until people were able to afford an SNES or later on an N64.

To be honest mario+contra are in most of my great childhood memories, the rest is filled up with goldeneye and KILLER INSTINCT!!!! ohh yea, who remembers killer instinct for N64? GAME WAS THE SHIIEEET!!! lol

When i came to the US i began playing FPS.

For the most part i always respect how the old games were made, they were hard, it was a challenge, no memory sticks, just you, the console, the controller, the game and a long night of playing. Now a days i can beat the campaign of a game in 7 hours, i remembered it took days back in the day to beat games. Games were built to entertain for hours before, to make you feel like something was accomplished. Today it is all about multiplayer, graphics and great sound......the reason? all the little kids who were introduced to gaming with COD4 and HALO3 back in 2007 and you can argue in 2006. To them if there are no guns, if it is not an FPS, if it does not have a COD, HALO, GEARS or any of that on the cover it is GAY and LAME.

Have you guys played little big planet? It kfelt like a great game, something made a few years ago, gave the sme feeling, at least to me that is.

I remember playing mario 3 on NES. mario was my game. 3 years old trying to get the flag, learning every warp point, never beating the game cuz I would always die on the last world (damn bowser flame balls heh)... to this day, i still remember the christmas I got my SNES. I remember opening the games first (gotta save the big packages for last right?) and I was soooo sad that I didnt have the system to play them, I thought santa just wanted me to take them to a friends house and share. My mom was recording the family opening our presents and I remember going to my dad trying to explain to him that I needed the super nintendo or those games are trash (my dad wasn't a gamer, he is straight outta mexico and was typical mexican, pay your dues and work to support the family) heh at the time I didnt think my dad knew about video games, I was a dumb little boy. anyway... what I loved about SNES is that it came with not 1 but 2!! controllers and a game Super Mario World, that game was my very first game I had ever beaten (with the help of my sisters heh)... and I was like 4 or so. then came street fighter, my first fighting game, I remember pausing the game a few times when fighting against chun-li when she did her spinning kick, I was super curious at the age of 4 I wont lie haha then came sega genesis and sonic... man I was so determined to beat sonic and knuckles with sonic (his story was about 2 acts longer than knuckles if I remember correctly) that when we went to church, I left it on pause that whole hour so I can come back home and finish... ended up dying haha

the good ol days thats for sure

Puddy, like you I started playing PONG when my mom and dad bought me the device from Radio Shack that had a master dial and a detachable, but still connected paddle for player 2. Matter of fact, I still have that and tried it last year and it still works. I was between 4 and 5 when I started developing my addiction and fascination. I too moved on to an Atari 2600. ET did suck but the main challenenge I got from it was to time how long it would take to beat it. But then there were all the other games, ie Defender, and the hours of playing Space Invaders. On Fridays, Saturday's, Sundays, and Monday nights, I practically lived in the arcade located in the local bowling alley. It was there I began to experience the fun of competition. My favorite was Karate Champ. But played whatever I could get my hands on. From there I was introduced to the Commodore 64 and the game Zork, the fully texted based game. Then I began experimenting on a Tandy computer after signing up for my first Basic programming classes. I was still on the Atari 2600 at that point and would game after game. The thing that frustrated me the most was that the Atari 2600 games played on a loop and there was no real way to beat it. Once you went through all the levels, it would just cycle back through.

By then, the NES was coming just coming out and it made all the previous games seem to have been from the dark ages. I spent many sleepless nights playing any and every game I could get my hands on. I began to also get back into PC's and games, helping a friend of mine admin a BBS (bulletin board system) for people that could dial in on a modem and download shareware and freeware titles (such as the first iteration of Doom, Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, etc). This was also when Epic Megagames were doing these small freeware games before they hit it big. It all kept going from there, the Sega consoles, the Nintendo consoles, then the Playstation consoles came in. By then since there was no online console gaming, I began going to LAN parties and after that I became addicted to team based gaming. And as the internet and supply became faster and more accessible, I was playing games like Tribes and Tribes 2 in clan wars.

Then came the Original Socom. I played it and was amazed at how great the online play was as compared to the PC gaming experience. But it wasn't until mid way through Socom 2 that I started playing the PS2 console online with Socom 2 and also Star Wars Battlefront. And it was from there that everything was putting me in the path of where I am right now.

I can say I don't really miss the simple games. I appreciate them completely, because they served their purpose and were great for what they were at the time they existed. I would love for my dad to jump right in and game with me like he did in the very beginning with all the games. At the time, they were more of a novelty to him. He got his fill and then he was back to his normal hobbies. However, like so many of you, this has grown on me and has become a huge part of my life. And it is something that I can do with my family and other people from all walks of life that are brought together for this fun and intense experience. I love the new games that come out. Some are much better than others, but I love to see and experience how each game plays. Each game is fun in it's own way. There are some that i just totally do not like, but then again, someone will like it.

i appreciate the replys here, and i want to set one thing straight. im not saying the older games were better, im just sying that those games will always hav the fondest of memories. even some of the newergames have fond memories that i still relay to people. there are always thoe moments when a game is never forgotten. my biggets gripe here, and my reason to this thread, is games that are hyped, released, and then disappoint the day of purchase. how many times in the last year have you bought a brand new game, tossed it in the ps3, and before your first minute of play you get "update 1.01"? nes games cost me about a weeks allowance. that was 10 bucks at that age. now i pay 60 bucks for a game that i cant even play on a 600 dollr system (yes, i am playing on a launch date 60gb ps3). all i want is a game that works when i buy it, with a few bugs that the developers fix, and i want some memories to go with those games

Haha my favorite games to this day is a Legend of Zelda I'm not just talking bout Ocarina of Time, I still enjoy playing A link to the past and the very first one modded to work on my computer.

I think with me its always been what held my attention and took me hours and hours to beat. Now its like you can beat the game in less then 3-4 hrs of play(MoH) then you to have any use for the game ya have to play online. I will say though those old games where glitchy them selves haha all the wall breaking and backword glitches haha resetting and all that haha.

My Atari was my first gaming system, but I don't think I really fell in love with gaming until I not my NES. Duck Hunt and Mario Bro's. were staples in my house....along with that horrible track game...LOL.

Contra was awesome, and I might even remember the unlock code if I thought about it...something like up down up down left right left right a b a b select start...IDK. I also played Techmo bowl like it was crack cocaine...rushing with the Nigerian Nightmare was similar to using AP on today's Madden...lol.

My first online game was NFL 2K on the Dreamcast. I moved on to Xbox online, then eventually to the PS3. I always enjoyed racing games online until basically COD MW. That really got my blood going and introduced me to UF.

Ahhh, video game memory lane!

I too started out with pong and Atari. I have to admit, I was one of the original glitchers in video gaming....kinda. Me and my buddy would play combat on Atari all the time and one night, late at night when my parents were sound asleep and The Dukes of Hazard were over, we played a game of tanks and I was trying to flee in my tank and i was in the bottom corner of the screen and kept turning left and right and all of a sudden my tank went flying off the screen to the right at ludicrous speed and reappeared on the left side and just kept going and going all the way across the screen. We started laughing so hard we woke my parents and got yelled at. So every time he would rush me and try to spawn kill me, I would pull out my new move to get away.

Suoer Tecmo Bowl was the shit. (They have it in the PS Store if you want to verse me Tool). I too would take the chefs, If I couldn't get BO Jackson, and LT and Bruce smith were a given sack on any play. Or Steve Atwater or Ronnie Lott at safety, guaranteed pick 6. LOL

Me and 5 Buddies had a Tecmo league. We had a draft of 1 AFC and 1 NFC team per person from a hat, and every Monday night we would get together and play out that weeks game. We each put money in every week and you would play whoever was on the schedule, whether it was the CPU or another player. We drank a lot of beer and talked a lot of shit too. We did it along with the NFL schedule and at the end, we had our own super bowl party and the 2 finalists split the pot 75-25.

i really am enjoying this thread...i grew up playing games on the early consoles/atari 2600/intellivision/colecovision...then commodore 64 for awhile. then on to the sega genesis/nintendo nes, on and on to today...and thats not including arcade games! guess a lot of us grew up w/ these older games when our imagination and enjoyment of them far exceeded the technological/graphical quality of those games, but the fun factor of them still lingers...

My first console:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]139[/ATTACH]

The rest of my story pretty much mimics everyone else's. I do think graphics enhance the game experience, especially sports games. I like when people walk in and think I'm watching a game on TV but I'm really playing ps3. I still appreciate the simple games too, especially the 2-D side scrollers.

Edited by BostonStranglr

In HS I got into the Commadore 64. That was my big computer. We would have these stupid Hack Parties where some super nerds would figure out how to copy the latest game and we would all get tons of free games.

Wolfenstien was my first shooter.

Then Doom... Oh Doom... It was the first one that you could play over the modem against friends or a friend. I would get pissed when someone would pick up the phone in the other room because it killed the game.

I've never stopped being into this gaming stuff and don't want to put it down. I'm 42. But hell online nobody knows your age unless you tell it. So game on.

yea doom, duke nukem, descent all over modem. When the internet boom started, before Gamespy was the big game finding app, there was Kali. Kali was great because it allowed you to play ipx games over tcpip. I used to play Descent/Descent2 competitively back then, when Case's ladder was the top competition site. Made my way up the Descent2 ladder to 10th place, thats when my precious Gravis Phoenix died. Such a sad sad day... they stopped making them and there really wasnt anything else like it.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so yesterday Backlash hits me up and says I have to DL this app: ROM Gripper from the Android market.

I DL it, and to my amazement, its an app that allows me to play the full versions of every game from these systems:

Atari 2600

NES

SNES

Sega

Genesis Pro

Gameboy

Gameboy advance

Gameboy color

There are a couple more, but I don't have it launched. Each system literally has hundreds of games. I've been playing:

Mortal Kombat 1, 2, and 3

Super Mario Bro's

Mario Kart

Super Techmo bowl 95-99

Donkey Kong

Thats about all I've DLed so far, but I gotta tell you it's been awesome. I can't believe I still remember some of the moves for Mortal Kombat....I got my first fatality last night and giggled like a little kid.

Well said Puddy. Many of the games today FAIL in comparison to what we grew up playing. I think the problem is that todays gamers are born into the lagging, glitching, patching gaming world. Its all they know. Graphics are great but game play is where its at. They dont have any problem paying $60 for a game that's not complete. Back in the day if there was something the developers wanted to change they made #2. Now they can push the changes over the internet. Which gives them the ability to also push out a title and finish it while its in our house. We should start charging them rent for using our houses to finish their work.

I grew up playing Pong, Pitfall, Frogger, etc. My first ever, I bought myself, gaming system was the Nintendo. I bought the package that came with Duck Hunt/Kung Fu, two controllers (now its 1 and you have to pay $60 for the 2nd), and the Duck Hunt gun. I played Kung Fu so much my thumbs were swollen. It was all about beating the games and bragging what level you were at home and going over to friends houses to see if they really were at the level they said. I even bought the Nintendo Glove for Mike Tysons Punch Out. Epic games. I actually have a 20 year anniversary Atari PS2 disc for playing Pole Position, Joust, a few others, and Galaga. Luckily I have the 1st gen PS3 so I can still play it anytime I want.

Looking back, I think growing up the way we did with the games we did, we learned to love the time hanging with friends in a light hearted, ribbing about game skills, true fun environment. So much so that we find ourselves searching for other like minded people. That's what led us to UF right? Today's gamers are people who wear taped up glasses, pocket protectors, and get bullied by day but are E-Gangsters by night. It took me until my oldest was almost 13 before I would let him play COD. And then he got it for his Wii and was not allowed to play online. Now he wants Black Ops and a PS3. If I decide to get it for him he still wont be allowed online with it. I want him to enjoy the game for what it is, like we did. Like when we played the hand held football game with the red dashes as players. We used to get some intense games going on it too.

Some games I played growing up:

Pong

Pitfall

Frogger

Contra

Duck Hunt

Galaga

Kung Fu

Mario Brothers

Donkey Kong

Punch Out

Tecmo Bowl

Bases Loaded

Tool_Minion;820382']OK' date=' so yesterday Backlash hits me up and says I have to DL this app: ROM Gripper from the Android market.

I DL it, and to my amazement, its an app that allows me to play the full versions of every game from these systems:

Atari 2600

NES

SNES

Sega

Genesis Pro

Gameboy

Gameboy advance

Gameboy color

There are a couple more, but I don't have it launched. Each system literally has hundreds of games. I've been playing:

Mortal Kombat 1, 2, and 3

Super Mario Bro's

Mario Kart

Super Techmo bowl 95-99

Donkey Kong

Thats about all I've DLed so far, but I gotta tell you it's been awesome. I can't believe I still remember some of the moves for Mortal Kombat....I got my first fatality last night and giggled like a little kid.[/quote']

I couldnt get this to work properly for me. Are you running Android 2.1 or 2.2?

I installed it and looked all over my applications for it. It doesnt tell you that you have go back to the market to access it. Anyway downloaded Galaga and installed an app with a picture of a joystick on it. When I opened it it gave me a list of all my current apps and the ability to delete them without going through my settings so I uninstalled it all.

I have an Evo, so I assume Im on the newest market....I've DLed it on a couple other friends devices and they had no issues.

The way it works is you DL ROM Gripper, then open it. It will list the consoles first, you choose a console, then a game. Once you choose a game, it will ask you to DL a zip file (its the game content settings) and it will keep you there until it's DLed. If its your first time (as it will be) on that particular console, it will re-direct you to the proper controller on the market before it will allow you to play...but after you start the DL for the controller, it goes BACK to the game list, with the game you DLed being in the center of your screen. As soon as your top menu bar shows you the DL is complete, open again and your off!

PONG? What is that like 1972? That’s not old.. hell I still remember my Magnavox Odyssey Game console.. (pre dates pong by three years) I even had one of those “Shooting Gallery†Light Guns.

Their big selling point……

"Works on any television set, black and white or color"

Now that’s what I call innovation!!

By the time I got a Sega Genesis cartridge console.. I thought I was in video game heaven. And when they came out with 32bit games I was amazed.. In fact I still play “Urban Assault†and “Jungle Assault†on my Sega Genesis to this day! That and “X-Men for Sega†were the zhizzle!! No glitches, no freezes, perfect game play.. ahhh those were the days…

Goat goes off down memory lane whistling the Jungle Assault theme song…