Sonys new price for fixing

So almost all of us have had at least one ps3 go out on us so far.. and today marked my 2nd RIP. I had a 60gb more or less at launch that went out 13 months after i bought it.. conveniently 1 month after warranty went out. I took it apart to "reflow" it mainly to get my game out and deactivate the console from my account. I assumed that Sony would take the console if i paid them but all warranty, even though i was passed the date anyways, would be void for me removing the sticker. Not the case, they considered the console "MODIFIED" and wouldnt even fix it if i paid them. So that has been a paper weight sitting behind the couch for about 2 years.. till today.

Once i called and went through the process regarding my 80gb that went out today i was informed that the prices had gone down to fix 80gb and 60gb models. I was also informed that beyond the new 129 price tag (which included shipping) that 60gb models also qualified for an exchange for a 120gb Slim. So we got to talking and he then informed me that they lightened their policy a bit and they would now accept my 60gb for repair or exchange even though the case was opened. So long story short i am sending in my broken 80gb and my broken opened 60gb and $229 and they are fixing my 80 and returning it.. and sending me a brand new 120 slim. I was pretty please about that .. once i got passed the fact that my ps3 actually died.

Again.. new prices for repairing 60 and 80gb models is $129 including shipping and 60gb models qualify for the exchange to the 120gb slim .. and yes i am aware no backwards compat on the slims.. but im ok w/ that.

i got a squaretrade warranty $30 for 3 years on my original ps3. when it broke i got it fixed free- they even sent me a pre-paid shipping box to send it in for repairs. i recommend purchasing squaretrade warranties on your stuff at the time of purchase. before you do keep an eye out for coupons, they usually always have a 30% off sale on.

I'm not sure about squaretrade policies, but I'm sure you can find them on their website. You can get a warranty on "new" items and also on "used" items. The warranties on new items are cheaper, and possibly longer duration.

The latest email offer I got from them says to use coupon code "SANTA" for 20-30percent off. It's pretty easy to go to their website and generate a free quote if you are interested.

GeneralSarcasm;820818']I'm not sure about squaretrade policies' date=' but I'm sure you can find them on their website. You can get a warranty on "new" items and also on "used" items. The warranties on new items are cheaper, and possibly longer duration.

The latest email offer I got from them says to use coupon code "SANTA" for 20-30percent off. It's pretty easy to go to their website and generate a free quote if you are interested.[/quote']

Never heard of them before. Looks like I'll be purchasing a warranty for the new 4th generation iPod Touch that Santa will be bringing my 8 year old for Christmas! Thanks for the 411!

inadub;820815']Wahhooo.. just got the green light from wifey to get the both ordered this morning.. so i will hopefully be back in business soon.. i do still have a ps3 that works.. but having 3 ps3s will be much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh1jB4hVJRg

Is that you Dub?

Anywho, back on topic. I have an original 60gb PS3 that the re-flow was attempted on. Didn't take. Lasted a day, and went back to RLOD. It's sitting in the original box it came in, collecting dust.

So if what your saying is, I can send it to Sony for $129 and they will send me a Slim PS3? Even though the re-flow test was attempted?

No wonder that guy pictured has ps3's that don't work.. well ventilated does not mean placing them on the stove and turning on the vent fan!

I already bought a new slim to replace my fragged 1st gen 60gb.. so I can either get a refurb 60gb or a new slim for $129? They didn't offer to just repair the console you send them? I mean I like my console, I took care of it.. it's in perfect condition (except for the fact it doesn't work due to a fried GPU) without any scratches etc.. replace the GPU and send it back to me... But, I guess that isn't possible? bummer.. so either get someone else's broken and now repaired 60gb or goat for a new slim? I've already hooked up the old ps2's so I guess the backwards compatible doesn't matter any more. Looks like I should take them up on the slim replacement?

p.s. by the way did you just call Sony's support number or do you know of a better number to use specific for things like this?

Edited by GOAT

A 60gb paperweight... LMAO! yeah it's too light for a boat anchor.

I'm sort of waiting for Dub's report myself. I'm also debating the slim or the refurb? I mean slim's go for around 3 hundo but I've seen working 1st gen 60gb's go for way more than that on ebay. Hope sony doesn't decide to up their cost before I do something with my 60gb... paper... weight.

IRISH BULL;821294']Hey Dub' date=' did you send in your old 60gb PS3 yet? I'm curious on how this all pans out. I have a 60gb paperweight also.[/quote']

I sent one in before turnaround time is about a week and it's very smooth. They send you a box you put yours into it they receive it and check to see if you voided the warranty in any way then they send a already fixed one or the slim. Shipping is included with the price. Don't leave anything in it though like memory cards I lost a 1gb memory stick duo card because I forgot to take it out. They will send your game disc back to you if it's stuck in there but nothing else.

Edited by Crusty_Demons

Crusty_Demons;821310']I sent one in before turnaround time is about a week and it's very smooth. They send you a box you put yours into it they receive it and check to see if you voided the warranty in any way then they send a already fixed one or the slim. Shipping is included with the price. Don't leave anything in it though like memory cards I lost a 1gb memory stick duo card because I forgot to take it out. They will send your game disc back to you if it's stuck in there but nothing else.

That was the old way, right?.

Because according to Dub, they are taking 60gb that the reflow was attempted on and sending a new PS3 slim. Not a refurbished one. Or am I reading something wrong.

And if the ladder is correct, it appears this is their way of admitting they sent out shotty PS3's. Without actually coming out publically and stating that.

IRISH BULL;821313']That was the old way' date=' right?.

Because according to Dub, they are taking 60gb that the reflow was attempted on and sending a new PS3 slim. Not a refurbished one. Or am I reading something wrong.

And if the ladder is correct, it appears this is their way of admitting they sent out shotty PS3's. Without actually coming out publically and stating that.[/quote']

Repair or exchange and yes according to dub it sounds like they have relaxed their policy but this still would mean that you can't send them one you smashed with a hammer or took to the beach and buried in the sand. They fix your PS3 but they send you one out that they have already fixed to shorten the turnaround time. So you don't get your exact PS3 back but it will be the same model. In my experience the refurb that I got it seems like the fans tend to kick up higher and quicker than the old one used to. My refurb has held up for a pretty long time now although the blu ray drive seems to be a little louder than the old one.

I am still running 2 original 60 gigs I got at release time. I and my kids have gamed, watched movies, and now hulu for hours on end. So far I have been lucky. I also have been running the aftermarket fan attachments also as soon as they were available.

And I have swapped out higher gig hard drive on one. So far so good. After reading this I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Sent from my DROID2

inadub;821383']I too ran an INTERCOOLER that was purchased same day as my 60 and it didnt seem to help me.. i do run media servers a lot' date=' i usually had it on around 10 hours avg per day.. so it got its use .. just wish it lasted longer.[/quote']

Man I wish I could say I used mine that much. I probably was able to get on two nights a week for a few hours at a time. And mine still took a shit.

So I think it's either gonna happen or not. No matter what you do.

Yes they have relaxed their policies.. my 60gb was sent in w/ a ziplock baggy filled w/ extra screws from when i took it apart.. so they know that someone was inside. The rep claimed that if i sent all parts in and they are not damaged.. they would take it. He also said the main concern of the sticker is to prevent people still in warranty peeling it off when they should/could have sent in to sony for them to fix .. after the warranty they say they will pretty much take anything as long as its not damaged or missing main components.. like CPU or GPU.. they will send it back. I should be hearing from sony today on my 60 its been a week since i sent it out..so i will post if they deny me or not.. but 2 different reps claimed i would be fine, so we will see..