I had no problems last night. One thing I found very helpful about a week ago was checking my MTU setting on my routers page. It was set at 1500 which is industry standard. I googled the best results for my carrier which is comcast and found two that worked well for others. 1492 and 1478, I tested both on pingtes.net and found that 1492 was ideal. You may want to try this it may help.

Ok here is where I learned about it from its explained in it's simplest form.

You can also test your packets sent and recieved at pingtest.net MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) is basically the max amount of bytes allowed per packet that your router can handle.

If it is set too high you will not be able to receive any information online through your connection. If it is set too low you will receive information online at a less than optimal rate. So basically: If your MTU is lower than the highest it can go, you will have a slower internet connection overall.

I will explain it even simpler terms just to make sure this was not a waste of time on my part:

You have 3 trains making trips from Boston to New York. Train 1 is loaded with so much stuff that it cannot hold any more. It tries to make the trip but cannot because its bogged down. (This is if you have too high MTU.) Train 2 has the most it can carry without bogging down and hindering the train, it goes the fastest it can and carries the most it can without slowing down. (This is optimal MTU setting.) Train 3 on the otherhand has been underloaded with the least amount of stuff, it makes the trips at the same speed as Train 2 but is carrying less goods and overall has a less efficient trip. (This is a low MTU setting. It will work, but you will get less information at the same speed as optimal. You do not want this, because overall it will slow you down. Just like how train 3 would have slowed down the effeciency of goods travelled, by carrying less goods per trip.)

You want optimal. If you want optimal, determine through DOS on your computer, (to get into DOS go into start menu, run, then type command and hit enter) is by pinging www.google.com with this command: ping www.google.com -f -l XXXX XXXX = a number from 1000 to 1999 or higher. If you are too high, you will notice none of the "pings" are being received. This means your router cannot handle the packet size. So go lower, and keep going lower until you find the highest number that it will let you use. This is your optimal MTU.

Right now I am trying to optimize my PS3 the same as you might have been, and this might be helpful to others. (I suggest you try 1492 as your first # to see if it is the optimal rate, in many cases it is.)

Edited by mikejaxon

mikejaxon;821752']Ok here is where I learned about it from its explained in it's simplest form. You can also test your packets sent and recieved at pingtest.net MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) is basically the max amount of bytes allowed per packet that your router can handle. If it is set too high you will not be able to receive any information online through your connection. If it is set too low you will receive information online at a less than optimal rate. So basically: If your MTU is lower than the highest it can go' date=' you will have a slower internet connection overall. I will explain it even simpler terms just to make sure this was not a waste of time on my part: You have 3 trains making trips from Boston to New York. Train 1 is loaded with so much stuff that it cannot hold any more. It tries to make the trip but cannot because its bogged down. (This is if you have too high MTU.) Train 2 has the most it can carry without bogging down and hindering the train, it goes the fastest it can and carries the most it can without slowing down. (This is optimal MTU setting.) Train 3 on the otherhand has been underloaded with the least amount of stuff, it makes the trips at the same speed as Train 2 but is carrying less goods and overall has a less efficient trip. (This is a low MTU setting. It will work, but you will get less information at the same speed as optimal. You do not want this, because overall it will slow you down. Just like how train 3 would have slowed down the effeciency of goods travelled, by carrying less goods per trip.) You want optimal. If you want optimal, determine through DOS on your computer, (to get into DOS go into start menu, run, then type command and hit enter) is by pinging www.google.com with this command: ping www.google.com -f -l XXXX XXXX = a number from 1000 to 1999 or higher. If you are too high, you will notice none of the "pings" are being received. This means your router cannot handle the packet size. So go lower, and keep going lower until you find the highest number that it will let you use. This is your optimal MTU. Right now I am trying to optimize my PS3 the same as you might have been, and this might be helpful to others. (I suggest you try 1492 as your first # to see if it is the optimal rate, in many cases it is.)

Just glancing at that hurt my eyes... :yield:

Edited by Crusty_Demons

Thanks for the help guys, i had given up playing Black Ops, because It wouldn't change from an orange connection and I was lagging all over the place. I finally tried tweeking my MTU and thanks to Mike found a # that when tested on pingtest.com got me an A. I had an F when i tested it before changing it and was well over 500. FYI - 1492 got me a B. :thumb:

Here's what I got now:

31161149.png

Hopefully it will help. I'm going to go play some Black Ops and see if it did anything.

Edited by Nemesis

• Directors
mikejaxon;822063']Well how did you make out?

I was hoping, I would not have to give this talk to you until you were a little older but...