Just got SOCOM

My brother and I got each other some used games (since we have all the new releases already). We did a deal where you would buy each other the same amount of money... we made a stop at the game stop, I got him Heavy Rain and he got me Assassin's Creed 2 (just finished the first one, he wanted to play the second one as well) and SOCOM Confrontation for like $10. I guess after watching me play the first one a few weeks ago, he wanted me to take it to the MP (probably to see me get my ass kicked!).

Anywho, was just wondering if you guys have any tips for a avid COD player trying out SOCOM for the first time?

play respawn... if you assault m4 front grip and a supressor 2 as commandos and mercs 552 with a suppressor 1 and a scope the front grip on that gun for some reason i dont like it that much... settings accelerations and lookspeed all the way up dead zone 1 or 2 clicks to the right. if you have a headset... of course sound all the way down and ambience one click up.

Now for Gameplay basically you just have to get the feel for the 3rd person i sugguest getting into a frostfire respawn room because its a smaller map and less running around. it takes practice but im normally on and could help you out if you need some help. add disfsk3x14

just let me kno

IRISH BULL;821854']Yep. If you paid $10 for it' date=' I'm sorry to say, you got ripped off.[/quote']

Yes, SOCOM: Confrontation is not the best version of SOCOM ever created. Yes it will forever be known as the WORST SOCOM ever created, but it still has it's fun. Matter of fact, Ravenfall grouped up and Quick Matched undefeated for at least 4 hours. Had a little help from some KoH and cBf, ran large maps and small, against cheaters and not. And to be honest, the people playing fair were better competition. I remember one whole clan S~E or something like that, at one point Col.Grinder actually counted the time it took for when a guy dropped until the game posted, for the rest of the map he was yelling "15 SECONDS" lol

Anyway, it can still be fun, don't hate because you lowered your standards and went with the lemmings. :violin::frusty:

To better get to know Socom I'd say if you don't have a 1st gen console break out or find a Ps2 (can be had for cheap enough on ebob) and instead start with Socom II along with Socom III CA.. Play the campaigns on single play to get a feel for the third person view and general controller settings than do some old school online play.. along with some Socom CA co-op. This will give you a far better idea of why the title is so popular. You'll find there are still a good number of folks playing online with the older releases. After that than confrontation will make better sense, from it's less popular aspect as well as why Socom is so dear to many of us. With confrontation the better graphics and res are indeed a welcomed change.. however my personal opinion is Confrontation simply doesn't live up to my expectations of a true Socom release. Something you will understand only from playing previous versions.

Although the graphics of course aren't that great given the ps2 versions.. the overall game play and feel for the title are more exemplified in pre Confrontation versions. So do it justice pick up Socom IIICA (easy enough given its greatest hits status) break out, borrow, steal or buy a ps2 console if you don't have a backwards compatible console and play the real Socom first.

I'm with Goat. I loved the old Single Player campaigns. They owned any COD campaigns I've played so far. You will have a good time playing Socom 3/CA if you get it. Still my favorite MP ever. If you just stick to Confrontation just understand that it is more like Search and Destroy on COD. You spawn only once per round. Get a feel for what guns you like in respawn so you get more reps and familiarize yourself with the maps. While Confrontation is by far the worst Socom ever made, you can still use it to get a feel for Socom before S4 drops and shit goes crazy here.

• Directors

Well, we all know how SOCOM:Confrontation has lowered the bar.

But, I really like the fact that [AieL] TheCaracarn wants to try something different. It's good to see around here.

Although, I would recommend sampling the earlier games (particularly Socom 2) if you really want to understand the game that Urgent Fury was built upon.

It certainly is a different dynamic. SOCOM forces you to be a team player (whereas COD has turned most shooters into selfish point whores...but that's another thread altogether), and the fact that you're dead when you die (I hate Respawn), it makes your life, and your team mates' lives, more valuable (see ep.#77 of UFreq for more about that).

Regardless...you get a big Hooyah! for trying something different. It's what makes the world go 'round.

~V~

Good news, I have both Socom 1 and 2. Will have to check out 3 once I finish the first two.

The funny thing is there is no way in hell I would have tried other games 6 months ago... MW2 must have broke my mind... First MOH, now Socom and Killzone... I got BFBC2 as well...

Anywho, I played a few unranked respawn matches the other day. Did fairly well considering it was my first online 3rd person game. Then jumped in a ranked match, using the M4 and M16. Unfortunately, there were only a few guys in the lobby so it was really hard to find people! I think I played Control, or whatever it is called (similar to COD's Domination).

I can see where team strategy comes to play in this game. Especially given that all modes are basically akin to COD's SnD.

All of that in-game clan stuff is pretty sweet too.

First solid day of Socom.

Slowly picking up the tricks of the trade. Gettin' tha close range "dance" down pretty good. I'm not yet confident in any situation but have had most success picking people off at mid range, or making a quick flank. Still getting slammed at the start of rounds by the grenade tosses and sniper lines of sight.

I really dig the maps on this game. Other than the few areas where there is only one entrance, the overall layout is pretty cool. I also noticed that all of the guns have a role. The snipers aren't getting destroyed on long shots by assault rilfes (like in COD), and the subs and shottys fit nicely for close range (other than that ridiculous shotgun).

Pretty happy with where I am starting with this... only one way to go, UP!

Trust me when u start learning the maps and know exactly where ppl go and throw nades ull get the hang of that. But if u want to get some games in with us send me a friend request im normally on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Attitude

I'll throw my hat into this as well Caracarn. I'm on quite a bit with my [RVN] brothers, we always enjoy company from another UF clan. Hit me up anytime. Oh and by the way, that rediculous shotty, that is Vera and she is my best friend :)

Heres my PSN ID: X--Attitude--X