• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

D75...once again you are full of crap. There was no "leader" in the book, although there was a co-worker/neighboor.

I read the book a month ago and I can tell you guys that it is a much, much different story then what is portrayed in the movie.

The overall story is similar, but from the main character down to the city where the 2 stories take place, these tales couldn't be more different. (Bok-Avg guy and raging alcoholic, Movie- PHD in great shape and in control) (LA nd NY)

This is the best review or the one I agreed with the most regarding the book and movie:

http://www.kpbs.org/blogs/movies/2007/12/14/i-am-legend/

I think the book story was great, for a book and wouldn't have made a good, modern movie. And conversely I think they changed the book story enough to make it a more exciting story for a modern movie.

All in all I enjoyed both immensely, but I thought both ended to abruptly as some of you other guys have already stated.

For anyone who enjoyed the movie I would suggest reading the book. It's a short read....more of a novel then a book and it comes with several of his short stories as well which are very good.

-Omni

Guest Stealthknight

lol, And I do not think e was more evolved. They had been trying to track him the entire time but he never went home at a time where they could follow him. He always went home during day light or waited until dawn the next day when the infected had to go into shelter so they could not follow him home. And the reason he stuck his head out when his wife or who ever was captured.

They however did not say they were brain dead. they said something similar to they lost all HUMAN survival instinc. Humans are not the only ones who show anger so to have the Infected (Especially the leader) show anger doesnt contradict anything. The only reason they found him was because the woman took him home too early before they were forced back into shelter.

Hopefully that clears up w/e u were asking.

I AM LEGEND was a great movie! I was expecting a sci-fi but there were alot of Horror elements in this movie.

**SPOILERS**

I think the Leader of the infected had watched Neville set traps before and that caused him to set his own. He had to be a bit smarter then the rest because there we're a couple of things he knew that others might not have seen.

Did anyone notice when Neville visited his mother's house at the beginning of the movie, he opened a pantry. On that pantry was a magazine headline clipping that stated "DOGS CAN COME OUT AT DUSK". When Neville got caught in the trap, the leader somehow knew that the infected dogs could go out at Dusk because he had the Dogs ready to roll out.

My question is, why didn't Neville just toss the gernade through the hole the leader made in the glass. That way he could have hopped in the shelter and live.

-Affliction- ]

go out call of duty style MARTYRDOM!!!

LMAO! Thanks man. That just made my day.

I have started reading the book, and holy crap! They are totally different! In the book, they're obviously vampires, but in the movie, it kinda beats around the bush with the whole "if it's a vampire or not".

That's only one thing... I think the book is much better IMHO.

wow, I can't believe so many people liked it. I thought it was intellectually lack-luster, the story line was predictable as hell, Will Smith DID act great as usual, the ending was rushed, the CGI blew donkey, and it wasn't scary or exciting. Just my opinion, but I was expecting more.

***SPOILER***

I too thought "why the hell didn't he just throw the grenade out the window." I think the director (Not sure if it is the same in the book as I haven't found the time to read it yet) chose to end it with Neville taking his life along with the vampires because it establishes the "legend."

Plus, in the book, they TALKED. They would call his actual name like "aww why don'tcha just come on our for a while, Neville."

In the movie, they were reduced to monstrous vampire-LIKE creatures.

HOWEVER (and excuse me if you guys talked about this already in this thread, I haven't been reading it. I JUST watched this movie as of about 10 minutes ago), it seemed like they were TRYING to establish some type of humanity in the vampires in the movie by having them be directed by the big guy and....and this is stretching it....but I felt as if the big guy had the personal vendetta against Neville because it seemed like maybe the one Neville caught and was trying to cure was the big guy's daughter maybe? Though they didn't really emphasize it, it seemed like while the big guy was trying to crack through the glass at the end, he kept looking at the healing girl on the table as if that's why he was truly trying to get through the glass, though they never put that outright on the table in the film.

Undertow ]

Plus, in the book, they TALKED.  They would call his actual name like "aww why don'tcha just come on our for a while, Neville."

In the movie, they were reduced to monstrous vampire-LIKE creatures.

HOWEVER (and excuse me if you guys talked about this already in this thread, I haven't been reading it.  I JUST watched this movie as of about 10 minutes ago), it seemed like they were TRYING to establish some type of humanity in the vampires in the movie by having them be directed by the big guy and....and this is stretching it....but I felt as if the big guy had the personal vendetta against Neville because it seemed like maybe the one Neville caught and was trying to cure was the big guy's daughter maybe?  Though they didn't really emphasize it, it seemed like while the big guy was trying to crack through the glass at the end, he kept looking at the healing girl on the table as if that's why he was truly trying to get through the glass, though they never put that outright on the table in the film.

Honestly that was my first thought when Neville captured her. The leader exposed himself to the sunlight because he seemed distraught with her capture. Later on when Neville was documenting/recording the days events he stated a "behavioural change" I thought he was implying that the leader seemed to feel emotion. Yet he said that he lost his "Basic survival instincts" and that they were losing "all signs of humanity"....... I was like

"C'MON WILLY READ THE SIGNS!"

In the book, he has a cross tattoo on his chest that can protect him. He carries around wooden stakes to kill the vampires. He grows garlic in his backyard and puts it over all the windows and doors. Women come out at night and try to make him come out by walking around naked... The alpha male in the movie, I think his name is Ben and is always yelling at Neville at night.

And in the book it's classical music, not Bob Marley.. lol.

Stupid question....is the original book called," I am legend"?

Was anyone else wanting more detail from the movie? Like, the spread of the virus, some information on the events that occurred when it broke out. How each country dealt with the out break. More info on the doctor ect.....I also think as slick as Smiths character was, why the hell would he fall for something so stupid as that trap?

Can anyone tell me his direct link to the woman who said they cured cancer on TV???

I really did not think of them as vampires in the movie, yes I see the correlation between light ect....but I don't know, I looked at them differently I guess. I also think any real person stuck in that situation would at least travel around to try and find other survivor's, he could always come back to New York, but I know I would at least venture out and see if I could find someone.

I apologize for all the random questions....I have ADD...:)

no, its not just your ADD lol The storyline was as patchy as my balding head will be. They left big chunks of "oh, I wish i'da known THAT" info, which is why I thought the movie was dumbed down for the masses...no attention to detail, no depth...its almost as if the antagonist, the mutations, were an after thought. I think they tried to focus on Will's character degeneration, but failed miserably and gave up lol

Im not so sure what was "harsh" about my post saint. And I sure don't feel like a "jackass" D.

D "confirmed" something that was untrue and I corrected him. Pretty simple.

Although most of the content was ignored by everyone here, I thought it was a good post that added to this discussion because I was the first one who actually read the book (recently) and could speak intelligently about it and posted my comments about it here.

-Omni

PS The irony of you calling me a jackass makes me smile. Thank you.

Saint, I think if you re-read my post you'll see that the only part directed to you was the first sentence, the part that I used your name in. I'm not sure what your second point has anything to do with, but I agree.

I'd lighten up, but I'm already pretty light. About a buck fifty......I need all the weight I can get.

-Omni