Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 coming in November

The next Call of Duty title, Modern Warfare 3, will be developed by three different studios and arrive in November 2011.

The Activision-published shooter series has been an annual fixture in the release calendar for a number of years, but following the slow, acrimonious disintegration of Modern Warfare developers Infinity Ward in early 2010, it wasn't looking certain that Modern Warfare 3 would be ready on time.

So Activision got on the phone to Sledgehammer Games, a developer based in California who had already been signed up to produce a Call of Duty spin-off. The team there will be working with the remains of Infinity Ward to get the single-player portion of the game polished and ready for 2011's Christmas shopping season, presumably delaying the aforementioned spin-off.

Then a third developer, Wisconsin-based Raven Software, will be doing the multiplayer portion of the game -- the bit that accounts for the majority of the hardcore fans of the series -- taking the number of development studios involved with the franchise to a ridiculous ten: Infinity Ward, Treyarch, Gray Matter Interactive, Sledgehammer Games, Spark Unlimited, Pi Studios, Amaze Entertainment, Rebellion Developments, Raven Software and n-Space.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-01/21/modern-warfare-3-coming-in-november-2011

Good to hear. I hope the new dev's learn from some of the mistakes that MW2 made. Though being a great game, it had quite a few things that could be removed/improved upon (unlimited re-supplies of grenade launchers for starters). I also think there are a few things that can be taken from Black Ops that would make MW3 an all around great game (IE unstackable killstreaks).

Outside of the terrible hosting issues which plague COD Black Ops I think it is the best mulitplayer version to date. I love the unstackable killstreaks as Lash mentioned, I like the perks, and all of the guns. The one thing I hate about the whole COD series is how often they pump out new games. This makes the games have no longstanding worth. Each game is only valuable for a year until the next game comes out. With this rush to put out games annually I fear that the quality is compromised. I hate to turn this into a socom thread but I loved that socom games were the tops of the market at the their time because of the quality in each game. Outside of Confrontation which isn't a true socom game because it wasn't Zipper and didn't have single player, each socom game was a huge improvement on the last. In the last 4 COD games I have seen little changes made to the franchise.

Meh. They are putting these out too much IMO.

sure they are.... it's all about the $$$. they're making billions. personally I'm happy with BO after not liking MW2 so much so I don't suspect I'll buy MW3, especially since socom4 will be out well before then (we hope...)

Since they are pumping this game out in little time, I'm sure it wont have much any new features like clan support. Every COD title that has been released since CoD4:MW they have used the same engine. While treyarch has finally made a VERY good one with Black Ops, the franchise could use an overhaul. BUT, I guess why do that when they are still making BILLIONS!

@johnson30 you are very right all they care about is the money. There are so many things they could do with these games like add clan support or put out 4 or 5 map packs with new weapons and shit that makes the game worth the $60 you pay money for but no they rather just steal the gamers money year in and out because they know people will buy them. Look at MAG for example that game is what 2 years old i belive and they are still put out new DLC for the game and they plan on making a ton more for it why because they know they have room to do it and people want it and they keep the gamers happy. Instead of stealing the gamers money.

Also Call of Duty games will never have clan support. When the question has been brought up in either Call of Duty series (MW series or Treyarch's), it has been answered by essentially saying that clans are silly/unimportant...What a joke. Call of Duty games will have the clan tag option and that's it, if they stand by that word.

I too feel that anything they put out as early as November will not be par with the expectations Black Ops has left us with. While I agree that MW2 was lacking in alot of ways, it still offered a solid 6 months of play before I became underwhelmed by it...and for 10 bucks a month, that was a better deal than the crap that Socom was this last time.

I would say MOST of our hopes are riding on Socom 4 being the game they claim it will be. If it is, I could see alot of UF's clans steering away from the COD series until they come to the light, or until Socom 4 becomes out-dated itself. If Socom 4 is anything like Confrontation....well I will be right back into COD's arms; thanking her for at least throwing me new maps every 3 months.

I have a question for you Socom guys. What is so big about Socom? I mean i never really played it and only played the last one and i thought it was complete shit but maybe the older ones where cool as shit idk so if you guys could explain that to me it would be greatly appreciated.

The last one was terrible.. If you really want to see the differences from the old games try finding a used copy somewhere for cheap. You'll just have to remember they have quite a few years on them now.

This is just some random video I grabbed off you tube but notice how fluid the movements are and how he can cycle through his inventory on the run.

I have a question for you Socom guys. What is so big about Socom? I mean i never really played it and only played the last one and i thought it was complete shit but maybe the older ones where cool as shit idk so if you guys could explain that to me it would be greatly appreciated.

What Crusty said. Plus the first 3 socom games were all about tactical gaming. If you wanted to win, you damn well better play as a team. Sea Snipers made the tactical whiteboards, so clans could pull up images of maps and plan strategies. Just when you thought you knew about every pixel of a map, someone would do something in a war, that changed the gameplay. You could create your own chokepoints, rather than the map dictate what they are. Sniping was a SKILL back then too. IMO, that made a huge difference in gameplay. The fact that anyone can pick up a sniper rifle in confrontation or the COD series and own with it, just kills the options for gameplay strategy.

Maybe it's just the fact that alot of guys around here popped thier MP cherry with those games. Either way, other than the shitty graphics(by todays standards), Socom 2 and 3 are still fun to play, if you can get enough non-cheating guys on to play.

The last one was terrible.. If you really want to see the differences from the old games try finding a used copy somewhere for cheap. You'll just have to remember they have quite a few years on them now.

This is just some random video I grabbed off you tube but notice how fluid the movements are and how he can cycle through his inventory on the run.

Was that a respawn room? Or several rounds edited together. I couldn't tell.

Plus, I said it before, it's sad as hell that Slant 6 made a PS3 game that looks very similar to this one. I would love to see a side by side video of Confrontation and one of these early SOCOM games.

Was that a respawn room? Or several rounds edited together. I couldn't tell.

Plus, I said it before, it's sad as hell that Slant 6 made a PS3 game that looks very similar to this one. I would love to see a side by side video of Confrontation and one of these early SOCOM games.

hahahah Yeah no shit, I bet it would be close.

Other than the shitty spawn points I liked MW2 way better than BO. The maps suck now so I'm glad they are adding a map pack soon. I personally can't wait for MW3. Also, don't be surprised when Socom 4 sucks just like the others. Socom 2 set the bar WAY too high and the series has never even come close IMO.

Unfortunately for you, I don't think you will ever understand Socom because there are too many hackers in Socom 2 so it is now ruined and the others are just horrible.

Edited by Peebrain

I disagree Pee. Socom 3/ca was a huge improvement over 2. 2 was a huge improvement over 1 so hopefully S4 will continue this trend. Anyone notice that guy in the video is an IW noob!!!!!! I remember when I first started playing that game people would get voted out of rooms for using it lol. Damn M14s sucked too. I'm staying on Black Ops, I'm not moving to MW3.... unless my clan does in which case I'll have no choice. :)

Socom was the original multiplayer game. It set the stage for every other MP game. Halo took it a different direction and COD kind of followed the Halo direction, but back in the day the only option most of us gamers had to play online was SOCOM and it turns out that it was a pretty damn good game so this is why us Socom gamers just can't pull ourselves away from it. We are addicted to the teamwork and the strategy and not to mention we absolutely HATE respawn. lol

It sounds like that pretty much every SOCOM created by Zipper was a hit in one way or another. And that the series really didn't take a turn until Slant 6 took a stab at it.

So with that being said, it only stands to reason that SOCOM 4 should be a pretty "decent" game. Granted, I can almost guarantee there will be some SOCOM vets that have issues with some parts of the game. But I can't imagine Zipper straying that far away from their SOCOM roots.

I like both game styles personally. Each are different and fun. Both can be played in a tactical manner. Socom is to me is more like the military shooters that I have played on PC. To win you must build a team and work together to win. Occassionally you will find someone that can just seem to walk around and slaughter people, but if playing as a team, you will win more times than not.

Socom, moves at a slower pace because most modes are, u die u sit till next round. So the seriousness of planning each move and working close is essential.

Halo/COD Style - is, to me, more of a aracde, made mainly for the entertainment aspect. You can either play as a team and wipe up or if u only have 30minutes, you can hope on, play 3 games or so of TDM and shoot it up for the whole 30 minutes instead of playing 2 or 3 games that you may actually play only 10 minutes of gameplay and 20 minutes watching if u die early.

Socom is great because it promotes community and a fanbase unlike any other I have seen outside of PC shooters. You can easily recruit clan members and build friendships.

Halo/cod style again is entertainment based....IMO....and easily not focused on community. But I also must say that even Halo games never hit as often as COD.

They are clearly two different styles and activision has chosen the halo style that has been popular to millions.....but they shoot themselves in the foot, because as popular as they are, they could add a clan support functionality and dominate most if not all of the shooters. I am really hopeful that Socom 4 is going to put a squeeze into COD so that they will have to slowdown and rethink their commitment to the gamers.

First off CoD was around before socom and I'm pretty sure counter strike paved the way for shooters. Also vehicles in shooters ruin them which is why i didn't like Socom CA or CoD WaW. I also think that if MAG was not created by Zipper no one would care about it. I swear that Zipper put some kind of subliminal messaging into their games to create such a loyal following..