Spyware Removal

D-75! Spy Sweeper isn't that good. It was at one time but I don't recommend it.

Ok here's the ticket... and yea it's just my opinion here but it's a dayam good opinion and I've used and tested these on a wide variety of customers PC's. (I clean em up or else have one of my guys do it as a courtesy when we do Installations) any way. These are the best of the best, totally free, don't keep asking you to buy better versions and upgrade themselves again for FREE!.

For Virus and email protection.

AVG FREE- Anti virus protection, not a resource HOG like McAfee and Norton, both of which will slow your PC down to a crawl and I suggest ridlin (that's a pun) your PC of them.

Spyware, Bot's and Adware- Spybot Search and Destroy. Excellant program nothing beats it.

Internet Cache, files and hard drive cleaner. CCleaner or Crap Cleaner as it's called.

All three can be found at http://www.filehippo.com ( http://www.filehippo.com/ ) They are the schit.

Lastly for Registry cleaning use RegSeeker at http://www.hoverdesk.net ( http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm ) it will clean your registry and rid it of the garbage that accumulates.

Download and install them and do advanced installs on CCleaner and uncheck the GOOGLE hotbar box.

1) Install AVG Free and run and update it. (Let it fix anything it finds)

2) Install Spybot S&D and run and update it. (Let it fix anything it finds)

3) Go to your control panel and uninstall every unneeded and useless program on your PC (NORTON and MCAfee need to go!!! if you have them GET RID OF THEM.)

4) Go to system tools and do a de-fragmented of your hard drive

5) Install CCleaner and clean your cache and files. (Don't use it's Registry cleaner for that use RegSeeker)

6) Download and Unzip RegSeeker and place a shortcut to the application on your desktop.

7) Run RegSeekers auto clean set at 3x mode and let it clean your registry.

8) Reboot your PC and notice how FAST it is again.. HELL it's like it's brand new.

This information is top secret. These are all free, they WORK! they don't HOG your resources, update themselves for free (except Spybot you have to tell it to search for updates I suggest once a week do so) and best of ALL they don't ask you to buy anything from them. Want your PC running good and fast again? than do this and thank the GOAT for saving your ass... Again... :P

damn and i thought i had the day off..... ;)

Avast isn't bad, but if you use it's home version it will keep asking you if you want to buy an upgrade. Also it's more for Virus protection and NOT for Spyware and Adware.

LOL! yea Street it's a bit of work, do do those. but believe me you won't be sorry.

as a last note after you are all done. Goat back to Sypbot S&D go to advanced mode. IE tweaks and turn on IE explorer Imunization. (it will protect your Browser's cahce folder. don't matter if you use Mozilla since Mozilla actually uses parts of IE to run)

and one last tweak in RegSeeker go to it's tweaks and get rid of all those stupid arrows on your shortcuts..

Peace yo,

Goat.

Gosh, all these PC questions lately, Ok really I'm not trying to come off as some sort of Knowitall.. I'm not an expert at anything, although I'm really good at a lot of things. All of this is simply trial and error, what worked what didn't and what IMO is the best out there. Most free programs are crap and should be avoided but some are exactly what they say they are and in fact are better than one's you pay for, so if they are better, and free than why not? If your system works well than if it's not broke don't fix it.. otherwise if you want my advice, than what I use, what I help others with and what I have found to WORK are the one's I mentioned..

Hippie C! (and by the way good to see you again, I miss playing Socom with you!) AVG Free is for Virus protection both for your PC as well as incoming and outgoing email checks. The email part of it is really well done, It updates itself on a schedule you set and it replaces all other virus protection such as Norton and Mc Afee both of which tend to run a massive program in the back ground and really use a lot of your's PC's resources (i.e. the processor and ram) Norton is the worst since although it works well enough, it's a constant "PAY US MORE" if you want updated protection... AVG is perhaps the best deal going since it gets it's data base directly from Symantec and never ask you to buy the pro version, which has more features and is worth the money but not really required unless you simply want even more protection.

Avast is just as good IMO and I have tried and liked it, if you already have Avast than no need to switch, I like AVG better but Avast isn't a bad choice at all.

Both of these however are VIRUS protection and do nothing what so ever for Spyware and Adware. Two totally different animals that have nothing to do with Viruses.

For spyware you need anti-spyware protection. One's to stay away from :

Adaware: adaware gives false reports and has been reported as spyware itself!! LOL! they block others and do the spying themselves!! HA!

Spy Sweeper: just like Adaware it's reports your internet activity to marketers and makes money by doing so. It also reports false findings and seldom updates.

But the worst by far is Coolwebsearch.. which simply lets every spyware program out there IN! if you have it you need to rid it NOW!! CWshredder from trend Micro will rid it from your PC. It's a nasty one and hard to eliminate but Trend Micro provides a tool for doing so.

Spybot Search & Destroy, I have found to be the best, It stays up to date and it's data base of 60k some odd spyware checks is Huge and updates weekly. They never ask for money and operate by donations only. You want to send them some money goat ahead if not that's cool they don't ask you to but appreciate it if you do.

Can be found at http://www.filehippo.com which by the way is highly recommended if you are looking for reliable free software.

Also I can't stress how much RegSeeker at http://www.hoverdesk.net is good!! It's the only real Registry cleaner that I've found to not only work but do so without running the risk of screwing up your registry. The many tweaks that are included make RegSeeker my top choice for well done, free and useful system cleaning programs.

Sum it up goat! and by the way yea yea long post but hey this is good info and I'm just trying to help out the members with some useful information.

Virus protection = AVG free or Avast if you prefer

Spyware = Spybot S&D

File Cleaner = CCleaner

Defragment = Good old windows defrag

Registry Cleaner = RegSeeker

There ya go!

No problem guys..

I guess I could have just provided the link to my companies customer care site on this..?? PC Customer Care but it's so much more fun typing it all out again and I tend to refrain from linking to my buisness stuff, besides it irritates Sequyah every time I do a long goat post! LMAO!

Anyway. Goat to the link if you want or not. and thanks for the thanks.. I just try to help out when I can ... granted sometimes I type way too much, but it's meant in the right way.

You're welcome HipChick...

p.s. Banshee, as I said Avast is recommended. There are actually four versions.. Home, Professional, Network, and Enterprise. It was quite a while back when I tried it and it did keep asking me to upgrade. Since then I've heard the home version doesn't.

also, if you have never received a virus.. well than you don't need virus protection? LOL!

Viruses are usually locked and safeguarded by Virus protection software in what's called a virus vault thus making sure they don't infect your system. Once vaulted you can decide later how to handle them. I've had several locked by AVG. If you have never received a single one than either Avast isn't doing it's job or else you really don't need it in the first place. I would recommended you do an online virus check at Trend Micro to be sure one didn't slip past Avast. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Goat ]

...I'm not an expert at anything, although I'm really good at a lot of things...

It's the only real Registry cleaner that I've found to not only work but do so without running the risk of screwing up your registry.

So I have to admit that I dont know what a Registry is or why I would need it cleaned.

I know of and completely understand the others listed above but could someone please fill me in on the whole Registry thing.

_-Dominion-_ ]

Goat

I seem to be having a problem with Spyware S+D.   It won't let me delete the adware it found unless I buy it.  Did I happen to download the wrong version?  It's the only one I saw and I know you said all three of the scans you recommended were free.

it is spybot s&d i think ...not sure check the first goat ppost again