Perfect Socom Classic post!!

Found this on Socom.com

http://forums.socom.com/t5/SOCOM-4/How-to-restore-Classic-Mode-to-it-s-former-glory/td-p/1065178

Having a Re-spawn mode is a great way to capture COD and casual players, and including a Classic mode is brilliant way to satisfy hardcore players. Hats off to Zipper for coming up with this, however the Classic mode needs some adjustments to offer a complete Classic Socom experience.

Nothing differentiates Socom from other online shooters more than it's game modes, to get rid of the classics seems unimaginable. It makes Socom 4 just another shooter and degrades the re-playability and uniqueness that is at the heart of the franchise.

Demolition Mode: Any team member can plant the bomb and blow up the enemy, it's much more fun than defusing. When the bomb is dropped the game becomes centered around the location of the satchel and adds a dynamic that makes the game constantly changing, definitely never boring.

V.I.P. Modes: To rescue and protect innocent captives is a heroic instinct of every soldier, it can be very addicting preserving the well being of the VIPs. To eliminate this mode would be damaging to Socom's variety.

Breach Mode: This mode is the king of destructive carnage, with constantly changing routes you never know what direction the enemy is coming from. For the Team breaching there's no greater satisfaction than achieving an explosive ending.

S4DemolitionMode.pngS4ExtractionMode.pngS4BreachMode.pngS4UCRR.png

Apparently someone thought hardcore gammers only play suppression, this is not the case. The core of Socom is Clan Wars with a variety of modes, Here's how it worked, My clan would wait in a "Clan War" lobby for another clan to come in, we would pick our map & mode, and the other clan would do the same, then we'd all pick a tie-breaker map in case there was a tie.

S4Lobbies.pngS4TieBreaker.png

Clan Wars where not scheduled on a certain day & time, this underlines the importance of lobbies, a place to gather your Clan members to discus and plot what to do in the next hour or so. It was a way to get to know potential members for your Clan and go over Clan strategies.

S4Pistols.png

Variety is the spice of life and a Clan war with pistols only is one hell of a rush, there's no more hardcore than that. Please bring back the hand guns, make it a downloadable item if you can't get them back in time for release. Who ever heard of a battle without pistol by your side?

S4GrenadeArch.png

Socom games in the past had grenade arches because your viewing your environment on a 2D screen. You need some indication of how far your throw is going to be, If the enemy is right outside a window a slight toss is needed, if farther away you need to be able to throw like Aikman. Shoulder buttons are pressure sensitive, pushing harder gives you a bigger arch. We had this on the PS2 (and also on Confrontation but not well implemented) there's no good reason not to bring it back.

S4IronSights.png

This must be a simple feature to correct, a crosshair should have a dot or center indicator, I'm sure Socom4 is very accurate and it needs standard crosshairs to prove it.

S4Socom3View.pngS4OverTheShoulder.pngS41stPerson.pngS4ClasicAna.gif

Socom is all about commanding the center of your universe, so the Camera should be pulled back to Socom 2 levels and your character should be centered on the screen (this is a next generation feature and there's plenty of room on a HDTV to do this). When aiming the view should zoom into first person, this makes shooting out of windows a snap. Over-the-shoulder view is disorientating (especially in 3D), Yes, it looks spectacular and has it's place in the Re-spawn mode, not Classic.

S4ClassicDualshock.pngSocom4UserControls.png

S4DpadLeaning.pngS4RunButton.pngS4Controls.pngS4JoystickSprint.gif

It's good that snap-to-cover is turned off for Classic, but we really need someway to lean out from behind cover to get a shot, D-pad lean is a professional way to do this, we've been asking for this since Confrontation. It's also very important that leaning while prone isn't overlooked.

There's no need for a run button, just put it on the extreme forward on the joystick or navigation controller. A good way to solve this problem is to have user created controller customization.

S4Etags.png

We all hate campers, but trying to find them is part of the game, think of how much fun you've had playing hide and seek. Why would you try to get rid of such a basic part of the gameplay? [uPDATE] Zipper has decided to remove enemy occurrences of both from Classic mode. That is, the only names that you’ll see above players’ heads are those on your own team, and enemies will no longer show up on the RADAR at any point in a Classic mode game. Thank You Zipper very very much!

S4COD.png

Zipper defined the online military game, there's no need to copy other games. There are certain risks that need to be taken to get back on top. Differentiate yourself from others, please Zipper grow them back.

S4ZippersBalls.png

That pretty much sums everything up!

Curious question...

Would you guys rather play S4 the way it is now, with minor changes and have the release date April 19th?

OR

Zipper makes all these changes, but it pushes back the release date 3 months?

(I'm just wondering because if zipper did make all these changes it would definitely push back the release date.)

EXACTLY!!!!!!! Bring us SOCOM 2 with better graphics, thats all I ask, shooooooot........this is making me wunna jump on S2 and play some FOXHUNT!!!!!

Funny thing, that. I played S2 a month or two ago. For all the nostalgia we bring up all the time, the game isn't as good when compared to games now. Even if it had new graphics, it would still be sub par by today's standards. Confrontation completely warped the perception of Socom. Now we have a very good new version coming out, and people are still upset because it isn't S2. Re-making that game as it stood wouldn't be worth the money they would charge. Games have evolved, and as gamers we should change with them. While there are a few things in this game that are WTF moments, it is still very solid. Most of those changes on that post aren't game breakers. Mic issues, Camera issues, lobbies, tie breakers and customizable controls are the only real issues with this game. The rest of the suggested changes floating around aren't needed. Now that I've gotten my hands dirty with the game, I'm excited for release day. Even if they didn't change a thing, I'll fux with it all the time.

Funny thing, that. I played S2 a month or two ago. For all the nostalgia we bring up all the time, the game isn't as good when compared to games now. Even if it had new graphics, it would still be sub par by today's standards.

And I'm sure the Dev's at Zipper had the same thought. Sure they could have re-made S2. But would they have made a profit on it? Probably not. Don't ever forget that this is a money making business, period. They are not in the business of "keeping it real".

I said it before, it is not genuine to call a game developing company a sell out. And that is basically the general consensus in regarding S4 and Zipper. They are in it to make money. LOTS and LOTS of money.

No one called Infinity Ward or Treyarch sell outs when they went to a more modern shooter. Whether it's MW1, MW2, or Black Ops. It's still Call of Duty MW, MW1, and Black Ops. And the Call of Duty series was always a WWII shooter.

But the whole WWII theme in video games was getting old, real old. And they weren't making as much money as they would have liked.

So when I hear people saying "it ain't SOCOM", is not genuine. It is SOCOM. Is it SOCOM 1 or 2? Absolutely not. But it is SOCOM new and improved.

But don't make statements like "it doesn't have the SOCOM feel." Say, "it doesn't have the SOCOM 2 feel." Then you would be right.

I'm really bored with the game modes. Most of them are all MAGish* and geared towards respawn. Uplink and Last Stand are def respawn driven. Bomb Squad is ok, can could be decent in round based play, but I have a feeling it will be played more like suppression with your team down one man since the defusal guy will be hiding.

Other than that I like the game. If they would only add demo to the retail release I would be happy enough to play demo all the time.

* for the record I liked MAG a lot. I just don't like playing MAG respawn game modes in socom.

Edited by GeneralSarcasm

pistols and aditions maps are an easy DLC they can release in 4-5 months to boost their revenue. i see camera angle and

Mics as the big problems.

nades will take time but they will be mastered. and the run button will also just take getting used to.

for me the option to choose what type of crosshair you have, would be a great help. they could have 3-4 options. in SoCon some of the scopes had the right zoom you would want and then they would have the worst set of X-hairs.

I must admit, I was a little concerned when I first picked up the beta... but then I played my first match. Since then, I can't get off the damn thing!

Bomb Squad is probably the most fun game mode I have ever played. Not only is it balanced in terms of what each side has to do (defend, or attack and defuse) there are unlimited strategies that teams can employ.

Bomb Squad is ok, can could be decent in round based play, but I have a feeling it will be played more like suppression with your team down one man since the defusal guy will be hiding.

From what I have seen, that is all classic Socom is even on Confrontation. From my experience, that is all the other modes in Confrontation are. That is just what Socom is.