Sniping on Socom 4 Discussion

Diffidently different... How are you guys going about it?

Are you using the cover system more? I know some are because I'll get sniped and never see where if could have come from. Before you would see guys just laying around.

The rifles... Every game except Socom. I'm talking COD, MAG, BF.... All had this rapid fire Sniper Rifle. I was good for me because I'm not that great of a shot.

I guess though it's just new. Most of the time when a new game comes out I use the assault rifles until I get the flow of the game.

There are sermi auto sniper rifles such as the SR-25 but you have to unlock them. It really depends on the map and where I am trying to snipe that determines whether I am prone, crouched or in cover. I prefer the .50 cal sniper rifles they seem to give me the best results.

I use the SR-25, but found a. 50cal sitting against some boxes on the bridge on Von Heinne Express. I didnt know there were guns placed on the maps to pick up not just dropped weapons. :)

BTW - I owned with the. 50cal.

Blowing Shit Up on my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I personally love the sniping. On S2 I was a damn good sniper. I haven't been able to snipe very well on S3,CA, or CF. Not on any of the COD games either. When S3 came out everyone and their mom was sniping, yet I just couldn't get it down. So far on this game, I love my long rifle again. I rarely snipe out of the cover system. I am usually crouched, sometimes prone. Maybe it's the fact that the fundamentals are similar to RL again, having to lead people, adjusting for drop more, etc. I couldn't tell you, but I do enjoy reaching out and touching people again.

Hell you should just hit up ID for tips. He's in your clan ya know. Well until I can convince him that Bandit is evil and get him to roll with me!! He is the best damn sniper I ever ran into on CF. Hated playing against him.

Do some of the earlier guns have really bad accuracy? I ask because the other night I was sniping and shot at this guy literally 6 times and he was never hit. I thought the first couple times that I may have missed, but I knew later that was not the case because he was laying still. It happened again later in the match shot at someone and nothing. I found that very odd.

Do some of the earlier guns have really bad accuracy? I ask because the other night I was sniping and shot at this guy literally 6 times and he was never hit. I thought the first couple times that I may have missed, but I knew later that was not the case because he was laying still. It happened again later in the match shot at someone and nothing. I found that very odd.

Sounds like lag. That happened quite a bit during the beta when they were stress testing the servers.

It could also be your stance. Standing, even if your crosshairs are on him, doesn't mean you will hit him. Crouched your accuracy goes up, and is best when prone. Plus like I said earlier, drop compensation, and leading moving targets, all have an impact.

Guest Attitude

I would have to classify myself as a shotty guy in Confrontation. However, on S4 I'm totally drawn to the sniping aspect and I don't know why. Even in the Beta, my most used weapons were sniper rifles. When I snipe, I'm not in the cover system and I'm mostly crouched, but you really need to find what works for you.

I get leading, but what do you mean by drop compensation?

Just as in real life, the further away you are, the bullet will not go in a straight line forever. So it will drop the further it flies.

You can't snipe across the map and expect to get a headshot if you have the scope aimed right on his head, you have to raise it a bit.

This happens to me ALOT! I have found that changing my stance and rescoping in will get the bullet there.

It is very hard to hit someone running left and right in your scope in this game. When you do hit them ya see a lil lag blood

squirt out and they keep going alot of the time. But every so often.....they die and its ohhh so sweet !

Have any of ya guys unlocked the variable zoom scope yet? If so, how is the magnification zoomed all the way in? Comparable to the high scope (16x) on Confrontation?

I get leading, but what do you mean by drop compensation?

its called gravity peebrain. bullets have weight, and gravity pulls them towards the ground. the faster a bullet travels, the longer it can go before gravity makes it hit dirt. small calibers like the sr25 can fly a long way because they have less weight, but they also lack knockdown power. larger rifles like the .50 can kick your ass at long range, but you have to aim higher so that it has more time to get to the target before gravity pulls it home. battlefield 2 was great for it realisstic bullet drop and leading a target. havent had a chance to snipe in socom 4, but if its the same as bf2 i wil be very happy

its called gravity peebrain. bullets have weight, and gravity pulls them towards the ground. the faster a bullet travels, the longer it can go before gravity makes it hit dirt. small calibers like the sr25 can fly a long way because they have less weight, but they also lack knockdown power. larger rifles like the .50 can kick your ass at long range, but you have to aim higher so that it has more time to get to the target before gravity pulls it home. battlefield 2 was great for it realisstic bullet drop and leading a target. havent had a chance to snipe in socom 4, but if its the same as bf2 i wil be very happy

I never really sniped until S4 and I didn't realize they put that much detail into it. That's crazy.

And yes Puddy I know what gravity is... smart ass! =P

Sniping on S4 is a funny thing i have found. a perfectly still opponent thats 10ft in front of you can take 4 shots from some rifles to the body but would die to 3 rounds from a SMG if shot in the same spots.

i like the shot drop and forced lead, and using the cover system to shoot from. I know its going to take me awhile to get used to it and am looking forward to the challange. i do hate that they have made "shot gunning" so difficult with the rifles.

Yes the day I get regularly quick scoped or "shotguned" in socom is the day I stop playing it. I recognize that it is possible to "Shotgun" people occasionally with a sniper rifle it is not something that will happen on a regular basis. Anyone that ran into a medium to short range gun fight with a sniper rifle vs a sub machine gun or assault rifle I would expect to get gunned down quick.

Sent with a flux capacitor at 88 miles per hour via Tapatalk

Edited by Crusty_Demons