Think Tank for SOCOM 4

Guest Attitude

Guest Attitude

Since we have some down time, let’s start a “Think Tank†to ward off some potential problems that are bound to arise during our S4 wars. What I mean is, Zipper did not create this game with any intentions of it being clan friendly. Just going off our little 2 day teaser, here are some issues that might affect our wars or scrimmages, unless they put out a patch of some sort. Most of the items I listed here are a result of the matches launching so quickly before being ready.

1) How do we get everyone in the room before the match launches?

2) How do we get everyone on the correct side before the match launches?

3) How do we verify that the room was created correctly before it launches?

4) How do we verify game rosters before the room launches? Not that this is needed often but our rule reads that if a person isn’t called out prior to launch then that player is now deemed approved for the rest of the match.

5) If we go with creating custom rooms, how do we keep out John Q. Public? I did not see a setting for creating a password. I could have missed this (I don’t think I did) but if it’s not there, that could be a problem.

6) How should we go about playing multiple maps when creating a custom room will only allow 1 map at a time?

7) Communicating with the other clan, officer to officer, either before the war begins or as soon as it ends. Communication has always been a big part of getting these matches started and completed by having both parties on the same page.

These are just some possible issues that can jump out at us in the first few days of hooking up for a war or scrimmage. If you have some others that you think might raise questions, concerns, or problems, post them now and maybe together we can figure out some ideas/answers.

I was thinking why don't we just use the socom ladders to host our matches.

1. Each clan can get all there members on their team before the match, so there will be no need to switch side or making sure your members get into the room.

2. Once both teams ready up the "home team" can either challenge the other team there facing or simply message the other teams rep to challenge them. Wither your the challenger or the challenged makes the difference on the side your on.

3. We can ban any weapon we wish from matches its as simple as not using them as we play. If we say no boom then while the two clan play there is no boom.

4. For checking roster I thought why not before the start of the war each clan rep sends the other rep a message on PSN or UF with that nights war line-up. Then once the game begins you can simple check the list that is given to you against who plays. If there the same great if there different then just show proof and let the staff handle it.

5. We won't have to worry about any outsiders joining and there won't be any illegal subbing as the game won't let other members join but if you get booted and you started the match you will be let in.

6. We can simply challenge each clan again after a map is played if two clans need to do multiple maps.

7. Clan reps may talk back and forth on psn if there is any issues.

Now the problem with doing this is the maps are random so we would have no say in which maps we play. But just a few idea in-case the costume rooms just can't be made to work for us.

Some decent ideas here fellas. I would like to point out that #4 on your list won't work, Last. One little typo would cause an issue. Since the game launches right away, there would be no time to figure it out. Then one clan would be too busy being pissed off about the discrepancy, to concentrate on the war. We have all been in that situation, where something like that throws off the whole team.

Not really money, I was thinking more along the lines of taking a pic during the first round of the match. Then forgetting about it till after the match and then checking the list they gave to your pic and bam done. No need to check it at the start of the game because it's not like you can just end the game anyways. As for the typo, well there's a reason someone is your clan rep and that's because of there attention to detail.

Guest Attitude

Would we as a community have a problem letting the game pick our maps at random?

I mean, if we use the clan challenge system we will not be able to warm-up on a certain map/mode as we all normally do because we won't know which map we'll get. Not to mention that if the tourney has 12 teams playing on a given night, the six wars could all be playing different maps and modes.

Now that I gave it some thought, I think that if we created an 8v8 room and all the positions were filled by the warring clans members, no password would be needed as an outsider couldn't get in to a filled room. That might eliminate the room security issue.

On Last's idea about talking on the PSN, I wouldn't like it. If a question needed to be asked before the start of the game, and the match launches, you have the 2 most critical players, your officers, trying to get something resolved while the game is playing. That would be a hassle. Now after the match, fine, but not during.

Edited by Attitude

Has any clans here used the private room system yet?

Isn't it just like CoD private room set up? Where the host has the sole ability to launch the room after everyone is there. That way any roster discrepancies can be handled before the match starts.

Unless I'm wrong on this. I never got the ability to check the private room system before the PSN went down.

no it's nothing like the COD system. You set up the room and have to launch it before anyone else can join. Then it waits until the min number of players enter (8 players) and launches into the 20 second lobby to team switch and then starts up.

Edited by ShadowOfaSolja

no it's nothing like the COD system. You set up the room and have to launch it before anyone else can join. Then it waits until the min number of players enter (8 players) and launches into the 20 second lobby to team switch and then starts up.

That is total crap. Everytime I hear about something like this, it appears that Zipper released a game that wasn't completed. They pulled a Slant 6, IMO. They gave a release date, realized there were problems with the MP, but didn't want to announce another delay. And figured it can be fixed with several patches later.

The fact that they released a game without a party system is very suspect. But then hearing about this, it sounds as if it was kind of thrown together to have some sort of custom private rooms.

• Directors

I honestly do think they realized how much lobbies really were used... we have already discussed with them about the changes that need to be made for the custom rooms to work. Keep in mind we did not get to test the custom rooms prior to release so they did not get any feedback prior to the release. Had they given us the chance to take a look earlier, we could have helped them fix it.

Listen the costume rooms where made how they where to basically make it so 3rd party sites like UF, GB and so on wouldn't really work. If you look at it, right now, if you want a clan match you have to use zippers/sony's in game socom ladder. So with the market cornered on the clan battles market you can see what they really wanted.

Listen the costume rooms where made how they where to basically make it so 3rd party sites like UF, GB and so on wouldn't really work. If you look at it, right now, if you want a clan match you have to use zippers/sony's in game socom ladder. So with the market cornered on the clan battles market you can see what they really wanted.

Last, I know you think you are correct, but I would have to say you are quite incorrect

Yea, that would mean that all the courtesy they showed Urgent Fury was complete bullshit and fake. If what you say is correct, it would be like they shook UF's hand while at the same time pissed on their leg. I don't believe that for second. UF would have receieved the same warm welcome Activision showed if that was their plan the whole time.

I really think this lack of features is completely Sony's fault. I truly believe they pressure the Hell outta developers to get games out ASAP. Especially when they have something to promote, i.e the Playstation Sharp Shooter.

Like I believe they did with Slant 6 and the official Playstation headset. So the pressure is on to get a game out to promote another product. Whether that game is finished or not.

Seems to coincidental to me. But I have more faith in Zipper than Slant 6 just being a huge MAG fan.

• Like 1

• Directors

Not to mention the continued contact with Zipper... That is one reason the feedback post was put up, so we could provided a source of feedback without the issues with the Socom forums.

• Like 1

Not to mention the continued contact with Zipper... That is one reason the feedback post was put up, so we could provided a source of feedback without the issues with the Socom forums.

I'm just saying someone somewhere in zipper or sony looked at the numbers. There will be roughly 4-5k clans that are on the socom in-game ladder system while what maybe 1/4th of that number know or will even use 3rd party sites and every clan who uses a 3rd party site will also use the in game. So ya they have the market cornered and if they where to hold tournaments or prizes on the socom forums then watch out is all I'm saying. Make no mistake they can act as friendly as they want but this has been and will always be about money.

Back on topic thou, how about having clan rep talk to each other on an outside source like skype.

Not an option. We aren't going to promote the use of outside coms. Outside coms are a form of cheating in the eyes of the honorable clans that play here. We've all heard the arguments ten times over, but the bottom line is, using outside coms is not an honorable way to go into clan wars.

Not an option. We aren't going to promote the use of outside coms. Outside coms are a form of cheating in the eyes of the honorable clans that play here. We've all heard the arguments ten times over, but the bottom line is, using outside coms is not an honorable way to go into clan wars.

What I was saying and what your talking about are two different subjects. My idea was just a simple call between the two clan reps that are about to war and from there they can go over the room set-up or can tell each other hey so and so isn't legal and another issues pre-war. Once the game starts then the call ends. I highly doubt the two clan reps would sit there and call out there own team to the other clan. I mean everysingle uf staff member has skype and it's not like there calling each other to say whats up during the match.

Edited by Last-

I'm just saying someone somewhere in zipper or sony looked at the numbers. There will be roughly 4-5k clans that are on the socom in-game ladder system while what maybe 1/4th of that number know or will even use 3rd party sites and every clan who uses a 3rd party site will also use the in game. So ya they have the market cornered and if they where to hold tournaments or prizes on the socom forums then watch out is all I'm saying. Make no mistake they can act as friendly as they want but this has been and will always be about money.

Lets say for conspiracy theorists sake that this is true. UF will still adapt and make it work whether zipper/sony like it or not. Plus right now I think sony has a little more to worry about then cornering the market on clan battles for one game.

You are incorrect, Last. Every single staff member does not have skype. Your idea calls for UF to advocate using a system that has been frowned upon for as long as it's been around. A simple call or not, UF would be telling people(CR's) to use Skype, and that shouldn't happen. Either Skype is allowed or it's not, there shouldn't be a grey area.

Guest Attitude

Until something gets decided upon that will work for all parties involved if a dispute arises, maybe the teams should leave the match room and void that game if it launched, contact the other clans contact, and discuss the issue on the PSN system via messages or the PS Eye. Then when the two members are done, they rally their troops back up and get them into the game with the problem behind them or with an agreement in place to bring it back to the admin to hash out while the match gets replayed.

a 20 second lobby just sucks.

Edited by Attitude