Wi-fi Connections and my cell phone

Never had a cell phone before so this is new to me.

I'm out at garage sales today and while I'm researching stuff on my iPhone I keep hitting peoples wi-fi's. Some were blocked but many were not.

It it a good thing to jump on someones connection?

Do they know when I do?

Can they stop it like disconnect me?

Seems at times I would lose connections a few times. Don't know if it was them or me.

Most people dont lockout there routers, so you can usually connect through there wi-fi.

For your home when setting up your router there are a few things you should do:

1. Change the Admin user & pass

2. Turn on the wpa/wep encryption

3. Change the default ssid and disable the ssid broadcast

4. Assign a static ip address

5. Make sure the firewall option on your router and computer are turned on

6. You can also set your router away from windows or outer walls so as not to be any leakage outside of your home.

Of course these options makes it harder to connect to your system, but that doesnt mean they cant do it, (isn't that right Sony?).

Blowing Shit Up on my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I kept getting disconnected a few times that's why I think people were disconnecting me or something.

I have a eBay research app most of the time it worked fine but a few times I had problems. Almost seemed like someone disconnected or something.

Wi Fi networks don't go forever most I would say only have a range of no more than a hundred feet.. If that. That's probably why your getting disconnected. Your phone should automatically default back to your carriers network when out of range of wi fi provided you have a data plan through your carrier.

And we wonder why nothing gets done in Congress. Spending too much time debating whether it should be illegal, or not, for someone to access open Wi-Fi. With today's technology I'm sure they can figure out who used whose Wi-Fi should anything illegal be done while accessing someones open Wi-Fi. Seems like it would be easier and cheaper to force router companies to remove the ability to make it open in the first place?

Stupid laws. Like this one in California: It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.

Edited by BIGDANIEL