Notice of Patent Pending for TacMap Tournaments

To answer your question peebrain, I was stating that they can't patent the Tacmap being used on the UF site without Snipers consent because they did not invent it. The same reason you cant buy a pencil and then put a patent on it. The patent is to be for (or with permission from) the actual inventor/creator.

And thanks Dirty, I had all the info but I had no desire to put it together in essay form lol.

I was looking for these though:

Do any of the following statements apply to your invention?

• The invention was known or used in the U.S. before I invented it.
  • The invention was patented or published anywhere in the world before I invented it.
  • The invention has been in public use or on sale in the U.S. for over one year.
  • The invention was patented or published anywhere in the world more than one year ago.

Because if in fact all of those questions were answered "No" then you have officially lied to the United States Government. Not only do I personally still have archives showing the map in use but it shows it being used before you became directors of UF. There are also archives showing that you knew of other tacmaps being used and that you have no creative rights to the design your trying to put a patent on.

While I honestly see this as being some type of scare tactic, It just appears to be a waste of money because I thinks it's very easy to see that should anyone (and I'm sure someone will) decide to make an appeal against this patent, the patent will fail miserably. And should you go through and someone doesnt appeal and then you try to enforce the patent. Once they show that you knowingly filed false documents then the legal ramifications are on the Directors, not the one pursuing there own tournaments.

Edited by ShadowOfaSolja

It always seems like there's some new rumble n' tumble going on here lately whenever I pop in.

This one certainly didn't disappoint.

I guess for the sake of saving another dozen or so posts asking/responding so, the fact is yes, Sniper and Demo-Dick, who were in Red Cell back then, and I, who led A Perfect Circle back then, met during our time playing a Tacmap tournament called "SocomQuest." We've always been on record saying that we played that tournament, that the tournament wasn't well-run, that the tournament just had a horrible name LOL, and that we could build upon the idea (in crude terms...sure...."build upon the idea" = "steal it") and create what we thought would be something better. I do not believe, nor ever believed, that the idea of an online tacmap tourney was borne from UF. I honestly can't even say if it was borne from SocomQuest, though it very well may have. But again, just writing this so the question doesn't bat back and forth for another three pages.

As for the "This is once again another huge step for Urgent Fury as well as the Creators, Tow and Sniper," I'm not exactly sure how this is a huge step for me or for Sniper, as we are not associated (as far as we know) with Urgent Fury outside of the fact that the both of us lead a clan called Ravenfall competing in Urgent Fury tournaments. I also don't know how this is a huge step for a tourney site either, but at the same time, I'm not very fluent in the trappings of legalese and perhaps there's a big boon for UF to go through this motion, so I cannot speak intelligently about the possibilities of moving towards this patent thing. It was an eyebrow-raising moment to see UF doing this, but it was a little more surprising to see our names attached in that initial post about it. I just don't know how this is a huge step, either by prestige or monetary, for either Sniper or I. But again, refer to my ignorance in the corporate laws of the land.

Since stepping away from the podium of UF some time ago, I've seen some rather exciting things happen here and I've seen some rather unusual things happen here.

To me, this slides to the side of the slightly unusual. Back in the day, UF concentrating on outdoing the competition, not so much eliminating the competition.

However, regardless of whether a UF move is exciting or unusual nowadays, I and RVN are there to support this community and to do what we can, like any other clan here, to keep it thriving.

Good luck with this, though. I'm sure it's all part of a bigger picture.

Just a friendly fyi, there are other threads in this forum, Uf bashers seem to come here everyday just hoping to find a bone to pick at.... Im just saying if your going to post here be part of the community, dont just jump in when you have a problem with something thats going on. Honestly i dont understand why people feel the need to fight this, if it fails it fails if it passes it passes there is nothing anybody here can do to hinder said process. But seriously though you take the time to check and find this and post non stop but you dont care enough to post on anything else in this site, no posts on the news no posts on anything is that not embarrassing? This is a community website, not a bridge for trolls to hide under.

But seriously though you take the time to check and find this and post non stop but you dont care enough to post on anything else in this site, no posts on the news no posts on anything is that not embarrassing? This is a community website, not a bridge for trolls to hide under.

Sadly, that type of behavior has gone on for a long time and, really, nothing new to the web.

Happened throughout the first 5 or so years of UF without missing a step...chances are, it will continue until UF rules the civilized half of the world.

I think Kat Williams says it best...haters gon' hate....sometimes, with some people, they do so because that's all they know how to do.

Just take it with a grain of salt and remember...those that spew nothing but poison on forums do so with the intention of getting a response.

Just a friendly fyi, there are other threads in this forum, Uf bashers seem to come here everyday just hoping to find a bone to pick at.... Im just saying if your going to post here be part of the community, dont just jump in when you have a problem with something thats going on. Honestly i dont understand why people feel the need to fight this, if it fails it fails if it passes it passes there is nothing anybody here can do to hinder said process. But seriously though you take the time to check and find this and post non stop but you dont care enough to post on anything else in this site, no posts on the news no posts on anything is that not embarrassing? This is a community website, not a bridge for trolls to hide under.

It's funny because I've been a member of this site since the beginning of Socom 3, I have taken my breaks and have been removed numerous times but please dont say that I only come here to rant or rave when you yourself have a grand total of 118 posts. Now I never post but still manage to have over 300. That being said when I first came to UF there was an actual living community here and the forums were active with over 100 new posts each day in the general section. No matter my disputes I will say that Tow and Sniper knew how to build a community and did a great job at that. It may have had a slow decline prior to their departure but this community has come to a standstill since it has switched owners because there has been no focus on building the community up. All attention has been paid to gaining some form of name recognition assuming that the continue would grow along with it. So I'm sorry but I don't really care to post on the whopping 2-3 live threads in the general section these days, I'll do that on my clan forums. And Im sorry if your post wasn't directed at me but Im making the assumption that it was as well as 1-2 possible other posters.

Wow some here are taking this thread way to seriously.

Shadow why are you so concerned about this? There are other tournaments out there and types of tournaments. I see no reason this should chap anyone's hide. It is a pointless argument because you can sit here all day and argue semantics, but the people involved with the Patent department is the deciding factor, not a bunch of forum posters.

Seriously. The posts concerning where tac maps came from and how they came about is absolutely pointless. Becuase from this point forward they will generally come from one place.

its not a lol kind of matter--- bro- what happened in this thread was disastrous! All shane was pointing out was UF was patenting the tacmap,, Your right i dont know if it was UF's idea to knock cometetion out, but you have to do what you have to do.. If clans can go other places to play there probably going to do so. So lets just say UF doesn't have any clans to play in there tourneys they host what does that mean,, no more urgent fury. If you hate what there doing than go away dont go stunting your mouth off in a thread trying to start shit with people. I'm not saying your a bad person but alot of honor that YOU guys say you have aint here right now like it use to be. See some of you PEOPLE (GUYS/GIRLS) have let your egos get the best of you, and you try to find things wrong with clans or peoples (IDEALS).... GROW UP seriously.. Cause like TOW said everytime i come to UF i see some little GIRL( FIGURATIVELY SPEAKING) crying about something... STOP TRYING TO BE ASSHOLES TO EACH OTHER AND WHY DONT YOU CONGRADULATE EACH OTHER.. Great Job SHANE/UF STAFF-- tacmap is uf and lets keep it that way, and dont post i innovative threat response to this cause you know what i say is true.... YEAH I KNOW IT IS!

Need I further remind us that Gates & Jobs both lifted the ideas for the GUI & mouse from Xerox PARC. The OS Bill created was a rip off from CP/M - when he sold IBM an OS, he really didn't even have one. Although Bill never created anything, to this day he gets all the credit. Why? Because he patented their Windows system software & hardware! "The Leader of anything and Owner, always gets the Credit", so this was a good investment that Shane & Company did! You have to realize that there is always a potential for anyone to steal someone else's ideas, inventions or material...much like CHAOS TACTICS did when _________ (the guy who took UF's TacMap ideas over to CT when he left ~ his name does not need to be said in this community anymore!) mimicked one of the parameter names that TOW & SN1P3R-1 thought up. So again, I think that this was a damn good move on Shane and Owners parts to have this finally done and have a right to call it their own. If people want to improve on things, they should do it from scratch and not take from other's and 'then' improve on someone else's idea(s). This strategic move was warranted, with what has happened once already in this community.

To answer your question peebrain, I was stating that they can't patent the Tacmap being used on the UF site without Snipers consent because they did not invent it. The same reason you cant buy a pencil and then put a patent on it. The patent is to be for (or with permission from) the actual inventor/creator.

And thanks Dirty, I had all the info but I had no desire to put it together in essay form lol.

I was looking for these though:

Because if in fact all of those questions were answered "No" then you have officially lied to the United States Government. Not only do I personally still have archives showing the map in use but it shows it being used before you became directors of UF. There are also archives showing that you knew of other tacmaps being used and that you have no creative rights to the design your trying to put a patent on.

While I honestly see this as being some type of scare tactic, It just appears to be a waste of money because I thinks it's very easy to see that should anyone (and I'm sure someone will) decide to make an appeal against this patent, the patent will fail miserably. And should you go through and someone doesnt appeal and then you try to enforce the patent. Once they show that you knowingly filed false documents then the legal ramifications are on the Directors, not the one pursuing there own tournaments.

No disrespect buy FYI: These questions of patent only apply to any pre-existing documented ownerships of said invention(s). If there are none, then UF Ownership has an excellent chance of completing this process.

Do you guys wanna know why this is getting attention... because it's stepping boundaries, If Shane just wanted to post this here then why go & threaten other companies? Why post on Socom.com? Because Uf is scared... plain & simple... This patent is a waste of time, & a waste of money, It's never going to happen... So I don't know why people are worried about it, Or actually think for 1 second it's possible. This is what is bullshit for someone to do...

I would like to informally notify you that your New Horizon Tournament is infringing on a Pending Patent that belongs to Urgent Fury Holdings, LLC.

Please remove this tournament as soon as possible.

Thank you for your compliance and good luck with your other tournaments.

Shane Bell

CIO

Urgent Fury Holdings LLC

A Patent "Pending" Does not give you the right.. plain & simple.

Edited by chiamira

Yes but critikil there are pre-existing documents and proof of ownership. There are archives and invoices as well as trademarks and copyrights protecting the use of certain maps and logos.

Now SniperCity let's put this into a little perspective: Let's say that a long time ago you put a lot of time and money into building a Theme Park (let's say Six Flags) and a couple years later Bush Gardens contacts you and says "Hey, we're placing a patent on the concept of Theme Parks and now you have to shut yours down. They aren't saying "Dont use the same roller coasters" or "Dont have the same shows" they are saying your park can no longer exist because despite your park being around for years and Bush Gardens not being the ones to create this concept they are trying to force you to close yours because it uses the same concept. How would you react to that?

Now on a different scale, lets say your family doesn't like going to Six flags so you usually go to Bush Gardens. Now Six Flags is trying to force you to go to their establishment by attempting to prevent any competitors from offering the same concept. They aren't doing it by trying to run them out of business with better practices or lower prices or better features but simply saying "Hey, we decided we want to be the only ones to offer this product" despite having no license to do so.

Now Critikill you are right to SOME extent in saying that certain Operating Systems were ripped off but if we are using those terms it would be UF saying "You can't use our Map" Which is completely understandable. But Bill gates never had license to say "You cant create another operating system" because the concept cant be patented. If it operates and functions differently then it can't be prevented despite the concept being the same.

Now I said I'm done and I am but please do not post saying "Oh you guys are horrible, or Oh you shouldn't be saying this" Because in doing so you put yourself on the same level by instigating the topic and a reply. Saying "Don't reply cause you know I'm right" Isn't exactly putting yourself on a higher level my friend.

Edited by ShadowOfaSolja
edited for misuse of a term

Now SniperCity let's put this into a little perspective: Let's say that a long time ago you put a lot of time and money into building a Theme Park (let's say Six Flags) and a couple years later Bush Gardens contacts you and says "Hey, we're placing a patent on the concept of Theme Parks and now you have to shut yours down. They aren't saying "Dont use the same roller coasters" or "Dont have the same shows" they are saying your park can no longer exist because despite your park being around for years and Bush Gardens not being the ones to create this concept they are trying to force you to close yours because it uses the same concept. How would you react to that?

This is a pretty good analogy, but I think you have it wrong.

Tacmap = Roller Coaster, while Tourney Sites = Theme Parks.

No one is saying "don't have a Tourney site", UF is saying "don't use our Tacmap concept on your site". Whether you like that or not is up to you, and whether that is legal or not I suppose is up to the patent office, or whatnot.

Frankly I don't understand why people would have a problem with this, unless you have some vested interest in starting or operating a tacmap tourney site that competes with UF.

This is a pretty good analogy, but I think you have it wrong.

Tacmap = Roller Coaster, while Tourney Sites = Theme Parks.

No one is saying "don't have a Tourney site", UF is saying "don't use our Tacmap concept on your site". Whether you like that or not is up to you, and whether that is legal or not I suppose is up to the patent office, or whatnot.

Frankly I don't understand why people would have a problem with this, unless you have some vested interest in starting or operating a tacmap tourney site that competes with UF.

There have been & are currently a few sites using TacMap tournaments FYI ;)

While I used to run my own, I actually have no interest in running or operating my own site anymore with so much on my plate. But I was saying the Concept of a tacmap was the theme park but the actual map itself was the roller coaster. I can understand them not wanting anyone else to use the same map. But the tournaments that I'm seeing today operate and function so differently now that the Map is the only thing making them similar (with the exception of some basic rules like "Don't Cheat" ect...). I can see where my analogy can be misconstrued though since it would make more sense to link the items the way you described but that couldnt be the case given the point I was attempting to make.

My general interest is making sure my clan has options on where to compete if we want to participate in that style of tournament. And considering my history on this site (I don't feel comfortable having TNU compete here for risk of being treated unfairly). Now that is a completely separate issue but that it my reason for posting.

Edited by ShadowOfaSolja

I can see both side, but I don't understand why we're arguing here. I'm sure everyone has wasted money on things and I'm sure everyone has bought something that looked like a waste of money to others. If UF gets this patent, good for them. If not then they move on. They invested money into this site and they'll do what they have to do to help protect that investment. This won't kill the competition, there will always be other tournament sites out there and other ideas for awesome tournaments.

• Like 1

While I used to run my own, I actually have no interest in running or operating my own site anymore with so much on my plate. But I was saying the Concept of a tacmap was the theme park but the actual map itself was the roller coaster. I can understand them not wanting anyone else to use the same map. But the tournaments that I'm seeing today operate and function so differently now that the Map is the only thing making them similar (with the exception of some basic rules like "Don't Cheat" ect...)

I was really bummed when a tournament site that I played at closes its doors without any notice from owner (who also didn't contact the staff running the site for him and ignored attempts to contact him thereafter for two weeks) right when one is the #2 seed headed into the first week of playoffs. I guess sometimes other things are more important. Which I can understand somewhat, but as a former leader and member of a successful and competitive clan, I see how much effort, time, and dedication is required by every single member of the clan. Not only was my clan effected, but also the few other clans and all their members too.

I'm not claiming to know the ins and outs of running and owning a tournament site and operation of it nor do I see how my post is even relevant to this thread. I suppose this post might be better suited as a personal message, much like most of this discussion could be handled in a professional manner, like how CEOs of businesses send each other professional letters on nice paper and print form, via snail mail. But I digress.

Be this as it may, if the patent was approved, I really don't see it as an ultmatum for other sites. Is the tacmap a good concept? Yes. Is it the only "other" way to run a tournament, besides a ladder or round robin format? No. Do we need a bunch of sites running the same style of tournament? No, because that would make tacmaps boring. Surely other sites can find their own creative and innovative niche.

Now if the patent is not approved, then there is nothing to worry about.

I'm new to Socom and don't know much about the other Socom clans, where can my clan find you guys at TNU? I saw your ranking on the in-game ladder, not too shabby. You going to participate in Endurance? In-game ladder? Other? Feel free to hit us up anytime on the ladder if you see us on.

Edited by Pillorian

I was really bummed when a tournament site that I played at closes its doors without any notice from owner (who also didn't contact the staff running the site for him and ignored attempts to contact him thereafter for two weeks) right when one is the #2 seed headed into the first week of playoffs. I guess sometimes other things are more important. Which I can understand somewhat, but as a former leader and member of a successful and competitive clan, I see how much effort, time, and dedication is required by every single member of the clan. Not only was my clan effected, but also the few other clans and all their members too.

I'm not claiming to know the ins and outs of running and owning a tournament site and operation of it nor do I see how my post is even relevant to this thread. I suppose this post might be better suited as a personal message, much like most of this discussion could be handled in a professional manner, like how CEOs of businesses send each other professional letters on nice paper and print form, via snail mail. But I digress.

Be this as it may, if the patent was approved, I really don't see it as an ultmatum for other sites. Is the tacmap a good concept? Yes. Is it the only "other" way to run a tournament, besides a ladder or round robin format? No. Do we need a bunch of sites running the same style of tournament? No, because that would make tacmaps boring. Surely other sites can find their own creative and innovative niche.

Now if the patent is not approved, then there is nothing to worry about.

I'm new to Socom and don't know much about the other Socom clans, where can my clan find you guys at TNU? I saw your ranking on the in-game ladder, not too shabby. You going to participate in Endurance? In-game ladder? Other? Feel free to hit us up anytime on the ladder if you see us on.

TNU will be participating ( In Some "other" tournament sites) At this time. We have not decided whether or not to participate in UF's Tournaments. Either Way you can challenge us on the in game system any time. We seem to be having multiple games going at once lately. Everything is very busy for us right now as a clan as there are many new options going on. What I personally posted above was why I came to this thread to talk about it. It's not as if anything any of us say is going to matter, but In general it still needs to be said.

i2IDIUM I remember you from that tournament site... good times, good times, lol ;)

i2IDIUM

The reason I posted was because I did as asked and requested the information. I was told to go to uspto site. So I did and nowhere can I find anything about this patent or the stated trademarks. If you believe in transparency then provide that information because doing a search does not return any results and yes I tried numerous keywords.

I tried running keywords as well Lukin to no avail. And peebrain you are most certainly correct but despite that I still feel that someone needed to represent the other side of the coin and since I had the least to loose I figured I would take on the mantel rather then letting someone else risk their involvement here.

Also, i2IDIUM if you'd like to set up a scrimmage your more than welcome to come by the site listed on my sig. There is some consideration about participating here. I recently received a PM, from someone I wont mention because I feel they were correct in what was said, but the said PM basically reminded me that whether we are treated fairly or not is mostly up to the concern of the staff running the individual tournaments rather than the directors themselves. And while I may have some concerns with the Directors, I have a lot of respect and trust towards the actual staff on site and still have friendships with a few of them despite previous events. So with that said there is still some consideration to be taken into account as to if we will participate here in the future.