Parvovirus in Dogs. And my vet visit.

We got a daushand puppy last Feb. He is about 5 months old. Wednesday I take him into the vet to get his shots etc. The next day he started feeling bad, not eating, diarrhea, and throwing up. All of my past dogs usually were kind of sickly after getting shots. But this dog kept feeling sick even today. So I took him back to the vet and he now has parvovirus. And they are keeping him to get an IV in him and antibiotics.

Which sucks on a couple of reasons.

I took him up there for shots to prevent parvovirus. He got shots for it and now he has it. Also he was perfectly fine before hand. Little frisky excited dog.

And also this dog replaced a dog I had to have put to sleep in January.

dude, this breaks my heart. i had a border collie who got parvo. she spent 4 days in the vets on an i.v. bag. she got better, and after the 5th day for observation, they called and told me to come get her. in the 35 minute drive to the vet, she died. dont think i ever been so heart broken before. i really hope yur lil one gets better dude.

I was about to ask what is the pups environment been even his kennel before you got him? This really sucks. My dog is on his last leg and everyday I am amazed at how his spirits are always up. Even though he is deteriorating.

I hope your little guy comes through.

Thoughts and prayers BC.

Edited by BLACKCLOUD--

Guest Attitude

As a dog owner this breaks my heart as well. However, I'm in the medical field and it does not suprise me.

The vaccine's that are given to humans actually have the virus in the vaccine itself! The vaccine has a "low" dose of the certain virus causing the body to fight off the "low" count virus. After the body fights off this virus, the body has now created a resistance to the strain which will fight off the real deal should you ever come into contact with it. This is why nine times out of ten, when someone gets a flu shot, they end up getting the flu, just not a bad case. This therory holds true for animals as well.

If you want somemore info, here is a link to a site about "what your vet probably won't tell you about parovirus"

http://www.myorganicdoggie.com/health/parvovirus-shots-what-your-vet-probably-wont-tell-you

Edited by Attitude

hey blackcloud. im curious what kinda dog u have, and how old he/she is. also, im wondering what ya feed yur pup, and if u ever give it milk bones? i ask because my dad had a 15 year old border collie. we thought she was gonna go soon, and she finally did...last fall...at the age of 23. with a change of diet, she got 8 more good years, and went peacefully in her sleep. maybe we can chat and i can help ya with the same diet if your interested

Well thanks Puddy. He is a 12 year old Stafford shire Terrier. We have always fed him pedigree since that was the only food his stomach could handle without diarrhea. I know pure breads have a shorter life expectancy with some breeds but I hope not with mine. Any input on that diet you have would be appreciated.

I had a chiuawah (sp) that was 13

He got sick with a toomer and I had have him put to sleep. That was January. Won't go into details but it was rough. I don't let my wife go with me on this stuff I just deal with it.

Religious stuff here.

If you read the Bible you'll find lots of places where they talk about animals being in heaven. And it also says with God all things are possible.

So I believe if you allow animals like pets into your life. When they die they will be there waiting for you in heaven. Just these certain animals will always be with you. Mostly because you were good to them and they know and love you.

Ending of religious stuff..

I had 2 dogs die from that even though they had the shots. I would of had a 3rd die but I kept giving him pediolight and eggs to replace what he was losing. It sucks at some points you can't do anything...2 of mine where at that point. I suggest def. teaching dogs to eat raw eggs as the protein can save them.

Well thanks Puddy. He is a 12 year old Stafford shire Terrier. We have always fed him pedigree since that was the only food his stomach could handle without diarrhea. I know pure breads have a shorter life expectancy with some breeds but I hope not with mine. Any input on that diet you have would be appreciated.

i have fed both my dogs pedigree there whole lives. look for some lamb lung dog treats. they stink bad, and look like crap, but dogs love em, and they are very good for em. also, get some pedigree canned food. its a bit more expensive, but change to one small can and two cups of dry food mixed together. its better for older teeth, and it cuts down on the corn intake from dry food. start there, and ill get more details on diet changes for ya

I hope your pup gets well. I had a pup that I had rescued from the animal shelter and she had or contracted parvo shortly after I got her. It's definitely some bad stuff. Unfortunately, I didn't catch what was going on in time.

And about animals and heaven, all I know is that God is good so I can't imagine us wanting for anything in heaven, including the animals we loved.

He was doing these howling barks in the truck on the way home. He was so excited.

Got in the house... Gobbles up the cats food well what was left. And gave everyone hundreds of licks. He couldn't decide who to go to so he just gave a few licks and ran for someone else. I tried to get pics but he would not sit still. I would get tales and backs.