New Ad Formats added and we want to know...

Would you be willing to make a donation to not see the ads?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to make a donation to not see the ads?

• Yes
    • No

• Directors

Guys and Gals,

If you haven't noticed yet, we have a couple of new ad zones that have been added... the first one has been set for only users that are not logged in, this one really a little much for our users.

The second one is what as known as a dynamic background and really gives a little flare to the site... these are not pay per click which for us is very important.

I am going to go out of the box and share a little about what is going on...

As of last Monday I received the,we are cutting your position call... this was not a surprise but it was earlier than planned. Now as to why this matters.

The day they told us we had too much traffic at Lunar Pages, was the day we decided to go in it for the long haul and moved to a dedicated server. Since then we have increased some of our monthly costs. With that being said the money we depend on to pay these bills will be cut significantly. So we have discussed various ways to make Urgent Fury self sufficient. One thing we knew was that the community is not going to bear this. The only exception to this has of course been the ads.

We have moved over to blip with UFreqTV that has some great ad rates but the views are not where they need to be.

So that leaves us at a crossroads of cutting our costs back as much as possible which could affect the community or find additional revenue. We opted for additional revenue. We also chose not to use bulk ads that pay better, but put our users at risk. We will try to keep the ads we do have as unobtrusive as possible, but they will remain.

We know that some people will not be happy with the ads so, I have added a poll to this. One of the many things we have discussed with the Staff and the Rangers awhile ago is offering a means to pay a subscription fee and have the ads turned off. This would be completely voluntary for the people that don't want to see the ads. At that time it wasn't really needed, but now that the ads will be more prevalent, I wanted to see if this is something the community wants. Until the layoff situation is resolved the ads will remain in place to offset our overhead.

We are happy to hear constructive and respectful feedback come from the community.

I voted Yes because I think that 'as our community' it is our duty to help to keep it running without having to worry about the bills that keep it running. We ALL who come here and have a few bucks per month need to step-up and help-out. It's not just the Staff's job to keep this thing running, it's our home too! And don't tell me about the economy because I don't see any change's the economy has brought on in my life ~ I've been living pay-check to pay-check since I was 14 years old. Some of you who buy cigarette's need to stop smoking anyway: Put one of those packs back and put the money into this forum. And I will cut back by only hiring one prostitute per month (kidding!). But seriously, this is a no-brainer because we shell out money for $60 games, Playstation Move, Plus and other things, this forum should be not different.

• Directors

We took a very close look at the screen resolutions of our users before we set the width of the site...

Did you know that over 70% of UF's visitors have a screen width setting 1440 or less. This makes the ad zone for most visitors less than 100px wide on each side.

The Endurance ad is 120px wide.

Other changes we have made, include adjusting the post width so that when the endurance adzone is in a post, it makes sure that 90% of the available space is used in the post as well.

At first, a little "In your face" BUT I'm not even noticing them now. (Don't tell the ad company that! LOL)

Hey, short of viruses or spyware, UF should do what UF has gotta do to keep this community up and going. While many come here for the tourneys, I stick around for the freak shows and I find them quite enjoyable, so advertise away!

I don't mind at all. I live on a tight budget and I've already cut back on things I enjoy doing, so anything to keep UF free is fine by me. If it comes to the point where UF NEEDS everyone to pitch in a couple bucks or shut down, then of course I'll help out. But it sounds like UF is doing ok with the ads.

The adds are superficial. And to be honest I think this poll is useless. Not trying to come off harsh or as an ass ,but really. Like Bull said ads have never really bothered me so why ask people to pay to have then turned off. This all seems unusual.

Just had to put some input on this one.

• Directors

Blackcloud,

I don't know if you were here for the lashing we took when we added the ads the first time... As for the poll it is completely relevent.

These are the ideas we have been discussing for several months.

There are never ending complaints asking us to take the ads down. So the suggested we run a poll to ask if the community was willing to make a small donation to turn the ads off.

It is a personal choice by each person... here is a little detail of what we have been discussing:

It is a premium membership:

Benefits Include:

• Advertisements are removed
  • Special Monthly Contests limited to members of the premium membership
  • Giveaways from Sponsors
  • Special Discounts on Sponsor's services
  • Members only Section

This is what we have come up with so far...

Blackcloud,

I don't know if you were here for the lashing we took when we added the ads the first time... As for the poll it is completely relevent.

These are the ideas we have been discussing for several months.

There are never ending complaints asking us to take the ads down. So the suggested we run a poll to ask if the community was willing to make a small donation to turn the ads off.

It is a personal choice by each person... here is a little detail of what we have been discussing:

It is a premium membership:

Benefits Include:

• Advertisements are removed
  • Special Monthly Contests limited to members of the premium membership
  • Giveaways from Sponsors
  • Special Discounts on Sponsor's services
  • Members only Section

This is what we have come up with so far...

Wait a minute. You didn't mention free stuff before. You just mentioned getting rid of the ads. Which I'm not willing to pay for.

But free stuff? You know me Shane, I always likes me some free shit!! lol

• Directors

Well we have been discussing this for a long time, when the poll was started we were not quite ready to share some of the ideas, but I felt that we should give you guys of where we were going with this.

We all agree that there has to be some benefits as well.,not just the ads going away for you personally. Sorry I did not include this in the original post. I really did expect more reponses to the post though

I will say this. I don't care if there are ads or anything, as long as it doesn't hinder my ability to peruse the forums.

I will say this, that if or when UF decides to use a fee for gaming here it would be a hard sell for me as a gamer to compete here. Here are my reasons:

1) We are already playing a game we have to pay for and might have to pay for services to play online here in the near future

2) Though UF offers a unique style of competition and environment that conducts itself( for the most part) civil and friendly, there will be others out there that will offer such environment with no fee involved.

3) If UF decided to include a fee just to play here, then a new can of worms will be opened up. Such as tournament quality and quantity.

4) It may drive those clans that have been here from the beginning, that helped build this community and are still hear supporting.

I could probably come up with more reasons, but paying a fee for a site that I consider a leisure part of my life would only be one more thing I don't think I could find myself supporting. Though I can understand your troubles Shane and for all those also that have suffered job loss in one form or another, I am not willing to give more of my hard earned cash on something I could potentially find a mouse click away.

I am not trying to be disrespectful, I am merely stating a fact of how I view something like this. I know [101] has paid to participate in tournaments in the past, but I think that is the extent of the money that we have paid out for such things.

Just food for thought.

• Directors

Red we understand exactly what you are saying and completely agree with you. I will reiterate that this is similar to PlayStation Plus... it is completely voluntary, there are no requirements. This option does offer benefits for both user and Urgent Fury.

Military including Active, Reserve, Veteran and Dependents get 50% off of our Spec Ops Premium Experience

Important Information

By visiting this site you agree to our Privacy Policy and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search