So I am making a pork shoulder this weekand using a mexican wet rub. But in doing this, I will need to wrap the pork shoulder in bananna leafs. This will not only smoke the shoulder but will cause a steam like action as well. But where can I get bananna leafs?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Attitude

I asked our resident firehouse chef, and he stated that you can find them in an authentic mexican marketplace. He also stated that you can try the asian grocery store like Nemisis stated above but they will most likely have a broad leaf substitute instead. Hope that helps.

stock of cilantro

12 garlic cloves, pealed

2 table spoons on onion (yellow)

1 1/2 table spoon seasalt

2 tablespoon of white wine vinegar

2 tablespoon of olive oil

1 table spoon of black pepper corn

2 table spoons of dried oregano

place in blender get it all fine and rub away!!

Enjoy.

Read more:

Edited by HusH-
misspell

here some pics of my meat LOL

daughters swim party: Texas style rub: PS THIS IS NOT BURNT! This is a 17 hours of Heavy smoke (Hickory)

before

prepork.jpg

after:

finalpork.jpg

Pulling:

pulled2.jpg

whole chicken (apple rub)

before:

IMG_20110508_113713.jpg

after:

IMG_20110508_141907.jpg

Have tones of pics of my meat. I will have my wife upload some more.

I dont mind posting my stuff, thats up to UF, I know this is not the cooking network. LMAO

Edited by HusH-

Im here for ya. Its all I like to do on weekands. My wife and my fam have me cook at every event. We have a fam reunion on my wife side in NC in July, and there all wanting to smoke when I get down there. Want me to bring my smoker since Im driving.

Its a hobby I guess you could say. Texas heat, BBQ, and Beer. Doesnt get much better. LOL

What do you use for your smoker? I started off a few years ago with an old Charbroil propane grill that I modded.. I fabricated a steel plate that covered the bottom of the grill. Put the wood chips on it and turned the burner all the way down. This actually worked great.

I needed more room and wanted to get away from using propan e. So I bought a brinkman smoker last year that usues charcoal and then I switch to wood. I'm not too happy with it because I have to really baby sit it the whole time. I can't regulate the temp easily. One minute I'm at 150 then it will rocket up to 270... Is there any suggestions you have? Or should I get a smoker with a heat regulator? I just wanna be able to keep it at 180 and be able to check it hourly and not babysit it.

Edited by Johnson30

I use a 6ft cylinder with a 2 ft wood burning box on the side. 270 is almost bad news brotha. Your ranges are 200-250 I keep mine around 200-225. Anything under 175 can not cook all bactiera off.

I started with 2 types of stand up eletric ones. 1st one cooked like a oven sucked second 1 was alright but biscuit area did not last long. So no I only use wood burning

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Man you guys need to invest in a Big Green Egg. I bought a Large BGE in January. My first time smoking or cooking with charcoal. Once I get the internal temp set I can walk away and forget about it. I've smoked pork loins, boston butts, beer can chickens, chicken quarters, wings, and chili. And I've cooked rib eyes with a mushroom cognac sauce, asparagus, pizza, cobbler, and chocolate chip cookies on it. Everything, with the exception of one batch of wings, has turned out perfect.

Can we get a Staffer to add a smoking board? I've got tons of recipes and things I've learned over the past few months but am always looking to read and learn more. I'll start taking before and after pics of my meat and posting them up too.

Man you guys need to invest in a Big Green Egg. I bought a Large BGE in January. My first time smoking or cooking with charcoal. Once I get the internal temp set I can walk away and forget about it. I've smoked pork loins, boston butts, beer can chickens, chicken quarters, wings, and chili. And I've cooked rib eyes with a mushroom cognac sauce, asparagus, pizza, cobbler, and chocolate chip cookies on it. Everything, with the exception of one batch of wings, has turned out perfect.

Can we get a Staffer to add a smoking board? I've got tons of recipes and things I've learned over the past few months but am always looking to read and learn more. I'll start taking before and after pics of my meat and posting them up too.

I second that idea. Or at least a food section to put all cooking tips. I love to barbecue and I really love a good chunk of meat, but as I said I suck so I'd love to see this section!!