• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Large BGE was $700. I built my own table for $200. You can buy a table for it but you'll double the price. You can find the plans for the table online for free.

BGE's come with a lifetime warranty too.

I have neighbors who use off-set smokers and I found that they needed to go out every hour or so to add more charcoal. I smoked 2 boston butts for 12 hours on one load of lump charcoal. I did those over night. Put my probe in and waited for the alarm to go off when it reached the correct internal temp. Pulled them off, tented them in foil, and put them in the oven at 170 while I went to church. When I got home I grabbed a hold of the bone, nothing else, and the meat just slid right off.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is "cold smoking" which is done at a temp below 100. I'm supposed to be able to "cold smoke" cheese. I may try it later this summer.

I was all set to buy a $200-$300 smoker for my first one but after doing some research I figured smoking was a hobby I could enjoy for pretty much ever so why not get a smoker I could use for everything, forever.

If you get a chance, go to a sanctioned BBQ contest. You'll see some BGE's being used. Talk to the guys using them.

Edited by BIGDANIEL

Guest Attitude
My Large BGE was $700. I built my own table for $200. You can buy a table for it but you'll double the price. You can find the plans for the table online for free.

BGE's come with a lifetime warranty too.

I have neighbors who use off-set smokers and I found that they needed to go out every hour or so to add more charcoal. I smoked 2 boston butts for 12 hours on one load of lump charcoal. I did those over night. Put my probe in and waited for the alarm to go off when it reached the correct internal temp. Pulled them off, tented them in foil, and put them in the oven at 170 while I went to church. When I got home I grabbed a hold of the bone, nothing else, and the meat just slid right off.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is "cold smoking" which is done at a temp below 100. I'm supposed to be able to "cold smoke" cheese. I may try it later this summer.

I was all set to buy a $200-$300 smoker for my first one but after doing some research I figured smoking was a hobby I could enjoy for pretty much ever so why not get a smoker I could use for everything, forever.

If you get a chance, go to a sanctioned BBQ contest. You'll see some BGE's being used. Talk to the guys using them.

Comment in red does not make this firefighter happy:nono: . Just looking out for your well being.;)

IMG_00000031.jpg

Large BGE and the table I made. I adjusted the plans a bit so I could have a drawer and four lockable casters as well as add some height to the work top.

IMG_00000032.jpg

IMG_00000033.jpg

I added a cheap utensil rack for organization.

IMG_00000034.jpg

IMG_00000035.jpg

I can do 6 half racks of baby back ribs, 2 boston butts, 2 beer can chickens, 1 turkey (haven't done it yet), 8 bone in ribeyes, or 3 pork loins on the single grate. I have a second grate that stacks allowing for more room if needed.

IMG_00000036.jpg

The first piece of equipment to be added to the table.

Guest Attitude
LOL Does it matter that it's a convection oven?

Nope it does not. Here is your fire safety tip of the day....

Cooking is the leading cause of fires and injuries in the home. Most fires in the home (40%) start in the kitchen. Unattended cooking is the major cause. Also, what you are cooking can increase your chances of having a fire. A study published by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission found that 75% of range or stove fires started with food ignitions. Forty-three percent began with cooking oil; 33% started with fish or meat. Sixty-three percent of the range or stove fires beginning with food occurred when someone was frying.

PS- Most fires in convection ovens start because grease drips onto the heating elements, then poof...:target:

PSS- That smoker and bench set-up is the shit!

Edited by Attitude

I'm having flashbacks of Fire Marshall Bill right now. Thank you for the fire tip. I will adjust my smoking times to make sure I don't leave the oven on while not at home or asleep.

And thanks on the table. I was actually pretty surprised I was able to pull it off. Although if you look closely you'll see I forgot a little important piece of hardware. A handle for the drawer. I didn't think of it until I closed the drawer and couldn't get it back open. lol

Edited by BIGDANIEL

Yes, Big very nice set up there. Shame on you leaving....LMAO!

Well I am doing a 11lbs brisket tonight. Request of my motherinlaws boyfriend. So looks like I will have company 2moro for dinner. It has been rubbed down and will go on the fire around 1-2am. I will take pics and post through the process. starting around that time.

I did want to comment on one thing BigD said. Not all fire boxes have to be baby set. Mine I let go for about 3 hours before I add any logs to the fire. I use a charcoal base on the bottom just to get my wood to light. Charcoal will die out about 2 hours into it and full wood takes over. Tonight, I will be using Hickory, I like the heavy smoke on my briskets.

The rub is basic Memphis rub, with Dry mustered and Brown sugar added to it. and of course cumin, and creole.

How often will you need to get up and check the temp though?

I haven't done any heavy smoking yet. If it's a long smoke I'll use wood chunks and if it's a shorter 2-3 hour smoke I'll use wood chips. If you get a chance try Jack Daniels Barrel Chips. They'll give you a nice smoke ring and you'll be able to taste it in what ever meat you do. As a matter of fact you'll get a real strong whiff of whiskey as they soak.

They also make wine barrel chunks/chips. Haven't used these yet but their on my list.

So far all 3 of my boston butts I've used a dry rub (Dizzy Pig) on. My ribs though I use a yellow mustard base then a dry rub. My wife was passing through Memphis a few weeks ago on a layover and picked me up some Corkys and The Neeleys BBQ rubs. They're up next to use.

Have you ever used Hungarian Paprika? I keep running across it in recipes but I haven't used it yet. Mainly because I can't seem to find it anywhere expect online. I've heard it's got some kick to it.

The temp on mine never goes over 240. I normally go out every three hours. I like to drink, so normally im outside with the kids, playing, swimming etc. My pit is to big for chips or chunks I use logs. I will take a pic of what Im doing right now.

IMG_20110604_051835.jpg

Now the secret with keeping temp is how far you have all your vents and smoke stack open. To start it I normally keep the firebox vent closed, and the smoke stack open all the way. Once the coals diee out, its normally half and half.

the Hungarin Paprikea, I cant find either, but have heard the same thing. And when it comes to any kind of pork, its a must to rub it down in mustared. thats most BBQers, I know do that.

here is the brisket before hand. It is now on the smoker:

IMG_20110604_050028.jpg

IMG_20110604_050013.jpg

When smoking my brisket, I like to cook it with the fat side up, so the fat penatrates the meat and allows the smoke to enter so you get the full flavor through it.

Edited by HusH-

Looks good. One of the things I've noticed while surfing smoker recipes and forums is that the one hard rule is, "If you can think it, TRY IT." I'm going to try my hand at making my own rubs and sauces and see how long it takes to perfect it........or just completely destroy my intestines and ass trying to perfect it.

Now I don't use mustard on pork loins. For those I use brown sugar and wrap it in bacon then smoke it fat cap up until it reaches an internal temp of 143 then pull it, tent it, and let it rest for 30 minutes. They come out moist and juicy every time. I have brined (no clue of the past tense for brine) one before. It turned out ok but I prefer wrapping it in bacon.

Edited by BIGDANIEL

Also wondering why BigD hasn't had me over for dinner!!!

LOL Brothers in Blue are always welcome.

Speaking of which, there's a thread in here I've been waiting to see you throw your $0.02 worth on. The pharmacy shooting thread.

Edited by BIGDANIEL

IMG_20110604_121208.jpg

This was when I was wrapping it. Got drunk that night. Forgot to post pics of me cutting, I still jave some left over wutch we are making nachos out of tonight. I will take some pics of my smoke ring.

Also made stuffed jallapinios with cream cheese and sausage and closed the tops off with bacon....

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

well, yes there is. This is about my 6th or 7th time making them. Here is the process:

cook your sausage and let cool.

cut the tops off and clean out the inside. ALSO TAKE A TOOTHPICK AND POKE A HOLE IN THE BOTTOM.

Now, The next part I have found works better. Layer the cream cheese and sausage. This way you get cheese through the whole thing. Your last layer should be cheese. make it even.

Take two fairly big slices of bacon. and criss cross.

take a toothpick and stick it through the bacon all the way through (this will not allow the bacon to curl)

you can either grill them, smoke them, or put even the oven. Smoking is good but will take about 2 hours. The oven is also good, I would not grill them until you prefect it.

Hope this helps.

Thats some nice looking uhhh meat !

I also do alot of smoking in the summer months. I got one of these with the firebox on the side http://www.chargriller.com/

We do alot of pork loins and ribs. Never have tried a brisket but want to.

Im gonna have to try wrapping a loin with bacon. That sounds really good. Normally I just throw a rub on it and throw it on. Although I have

marinated a few in Apple Cider that turned out great. Injected a few with creole butter that turn out ok too.

For ribs we use the 3-2-1 method and they seem to always fall off the bone if you can keep that temp below 225. Rubs usually consist of whatever seasoning is

in the cupboard. You dont need a whole lot with this good ole Iowa Meat! ! ! I got lots-o-pics also on my desktop cpu. If a new section is created I will upload

some to share.

Great thread.

The bacon helps keep it moist. I've used regular and thick cut. They both work fine.

I do my ribs for about 4 1/2 hours on a rib rack, spraying them with an apple juice mix every hour, then I take them off the rack and put on a sauce and grill for the last hour hitting them with sauce again in the last 30 minutes. I typically use hickory wood chips for my smoke, a yellow mustard base, and a homemade rub with some heat to it. They turn out just short of falling of the bone.

Throw up a few pics Animal.

I am doing pork ribs this weekend. And ofcourse, I use the mustered. LOL.

I love to smoke, Out of 52 weekeands. I say it do it about 40-45 weekands. We really dont have much of a winter here in Texas. If we do it last a month.