Who said u need to learn to spell?

Guest KingJunk

Guest KingJunk

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs rpsoet it.

This may have been posted before, but I am not sure, but could any of you read this word for word?

Guest MultipleTarget

Yup Seen that before....

but still The power of the human Brain..............

Hopefully this post wont result That everyone wont Give a F*** About there Spelling lol

Yeah, the PROBLEM with this was that it caused many elementary schools out there to start adopting a system called "secondary spelling" or something....and this is true, as a friend of mine told me that her son's school had adopted this.

As it is, the type of spelling in the first post is "ok" by grading standards because it "sounds right."

And THAT, my friends, is why China and Japan are laughing at us.

It's a cool trick of the mind, to be sure, but at the same time, I was ASTOUNDED to hear that spelling had become lax in many schools. IMAGINE that.....our teachers are getting so lazy, and the students even lazier, that they allow our children to grow up spelling like morons because it "sounds right."

This country may very well turn into slathering cavemen punching our idiot boxes looking for the next celebrity news in years to come.

Undertow ]

Yeah, the PROBLEM with this was that it caused many elementary schools out there to start adopting a system called "secondary spelling" or something....and this is true, as a friend of mine told me that her son's school had adopted this.

As it is, the type of spelling in the first post is "ok" by grading standards because it "sounds right."

It's a cool trick of the mind, to be sure, but at the same time, I was ASTOUNDED to hear that spelling had become lax in many schools. IMAGINE that.....our teachers are getting so lazy, and the students even lazier, that they allow our children to grow up spelling like morons because it "sounds right."

This country may very well turn into slathering cavemen punching our idiot boxes looking for the next celebrity news in years to come.

I love how you just layed the hammer down on the U.S. Department of Education...freaking hilarious TOW! Haha I love it!

(no sarcasm intended)

Guest Skipper
Undertow ]

It's a cool trick of the mind, to be sure, but at the same time, I was ASTOUNDED to hear that spelling had become lax in many schools.  IMAGINE that.....our teachers are getting so lazy, and the students even lazier, that they allow our children to grow up spelling like morons because it "sounds right."

My wife is a teacher and is on the Baltimore County Board of Education's advisory panel. She's never heard of anything like this...

I couldn't imagine a school system adopting a spelling curriculum consisting of something that "sounds right." Could be though, we don't have the best education system in the world.

Skipper ]

My wife is a teacher and is on the Baltimore County Board of Education's advisory panel.  She's never heard of anything like this...

I couldn't imagine a school system adopting a spelling curriculum consisting of something that "sounds right."  Could be though, we don't have the best education system in the world.

It's called "Whole Language," and was adopted by many schools as recently as two years ago.

It was adopted in some Chicago public schools and in other states I could only assume.

Here is a linked report.

Maybe pass this along to your wife.

http://www.pbs.org/merrow/tv/ftw/language.html

If you do a search engine on Whole Language, you'll find a lot of these reports, as well as books still sold at Amazon regarding the subject matter.

Guest Skipper
Undertow ]
Skipper ]

My wife is a teacher and is on the Baltimore County Board of Education's advisory panel.  She's never heard of anything like this...

I couldn't imagine a school system adopting a spelling curriculum consisting of something that "sounds right."  Could be though, we don't have the best education system in the world.

It's called "Whole Language," and was adopted by many schools as recently as two years ago.

It was adopted in some Chicago public schools and in other states I could only assume.

Here is a linked report.

Maybe pass this along to your wife.

http://www.pbs.org/merrow/tv/ftw/language.html

If you do a search engine on Whole Language, you'll find a lot of these reports, as well as books still sold at Amazon regarding the subject matter.

That's interesting. Thank Tow, I'll have to pass this on to her and see what she thinks. It does looks like a lazy man's approach to phonics and grammar.

Guest [+30]PuddyTat

My aunt was a teacher for 26 years, and won the state teacher of the year award 11 times. she retired the second year after "hooked on phonics" was released. she claimed she could no longer teach children properly because parents were using programs such as this before their kids entered school, and the kids could no longer learn anything they were taught in school. Now we are teaching our kids you dont have to spell it right, just make it sound good? What a shame.

spanish? LOL itd be nice if america had a national language. this past summer i went to disney world in orlando with a group of friends and some family, in 1 of their parks they have a world showcase. where they recreate those countries and had a restaurant w/food from that country. so i went to italy, the menus were in italian and english. went to france and the menu was in french and english, went to norway and the menu was in norwegian and english, i went to america and the menu was in english and spanish. i turn to my friend and go WTF?! i mean yeah we can speek any language we want, but for 99% of this country to speak the SAME language and have it ALL over 50 states, shouldnt that be the official language? point is: america should have a national language, isntead of it being w/e u want.

glow = IMO

yup i was watching cops last night and the one cop had to get a translating cop in their becuase the people couldnt understand and speak english adn she had to kids hopefully they will chose english as their first language....all i am saying is that i dont think i should have to know spanish to order food or understand a doctor or something ...but i live in new hampshire so not as much spanish talking goin on up here but i know it is bad around the rest of the country...never mind all the bad english people speak but i can put thier sentences together and the asian languages all sound like they are yelling at eachother.(i gothad a bunch of asian friends tried teaching me and forget about it)...

but the language is slowly changing.......

i was watching hogans knows best he couldnt order food in miami cuz he couldnt speak spanish (well at that particular place)i would of went somewhere else

I think, because this is America, people can ELECT to choose to speak whatever they want.

America is MADE UP of all these cultures, not just one, which is why we won't have a unifying language, though I think English "is" the official language, shown predominantly on tv, radio, movies, media, song and books.

HOWEVER, if I were an immigrant, not necessarily coming to America, but going to live ANYWHERE where I am considered "foreign," I would make an attempt to learn enough of the native language where I can convey an emergency or call for help. Holding onto one's heritage, culture and language is admirable....something I was unable to do as an American-born Vietnamese/German descendant. But I don't think it should be considered your PRIMARY means of communication in a land where it is NOT the primary....because if you need help, if you're attacked, if someone you love or even a stranger is in trouble, time is of the essence, and sometimes time doesn't allow for locating a translator.

As far as the menu thing, I think there's nothing wrong with Spanish being listed second on there. I think with it's emergence here in the US, it pretty much has earned its right to be there.

my mom used to teach in jersey city(heavily spanish populated urban area in jersey), and many of the kids didnt speak english, nor did the parents. and on parent-teacher conference night, the parents owuld come in with their kids to translate for them. also, in my school(i'm a teacher too), i have many korean students who dont speak english, and class is VERY VERY difficult when you have to sit and wait for the translation of questions answers etc. i think if you're going to be here, speak our language, and if u dont, then dont expect to come to our english speaking workplace and expect a translator b/c u cant speak the language. the other thing that pisses me off to no end, is when two people are having a convo in english, you walk in the room and bam its a diff language. thats just ignorant, but ALL of this is IMO.