Pay Up: Netflix Streaming No Longer Free With DVD-Mail Package

feature-netflix-batman-1-500x218.jpg

Story by Allen Tyson @ PlaystationLifestyle.com

Netflix is truly what I would call a “virtual media appliance.†For many PS3 owners, Netflix has become so a part of our lives that we often don’t think about; it’s there, it’s on, and it just works.* If you’ve been a legacy owner of Netflix and use it frequently, you’re going to have some serious choices to make in the near future.

Netflix is changing it’s service tiers in a way that legacy users need to take note of.* As it was, if you were an existing by mail subscriber for DVD or for Blu-Ray streaming was part of the package… but no more. The plans are now being segmented so that streaming services and by mail services are no longer bundled together under the current pricing scheme. The new plans are as follows:

• Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
  • Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming), for $7.99 a month.

At this time, there is no discount for both bundled services. So if you wanted to combine both services you would be paying $15.98—or a few dollars* more if you’re currently using the Blu-Ray option. The new pricing goes into effect on September 1st.

[Source]

gfx.php?type=thumbs&value=0

Score: 0 (0 votes cast)

powered.png

di

di

UrgentFuryUnleashed?d=yIl2AUoC8zA UrgentFuryUnleashed?d=qj6IDK7rITs

rlUkzy_L_7Q

More...

I heard they got over 600,000 responses via Twitter and Facebook about people who are threatening to cancel their subscription.

I primarily canceled my Netflix subscription due to the fact their streaming library was just God awful. I mean, just the worst selection I have ever seen.

So with the new pricing, will the streaming and DVD availability be one and the same? If so, I agree with what they doing. I might even subscribe again if I can steam new movies. If not, they can go frak themselves.

I would imagine that most people either get DVD's or stream. I personally like to stream movies. Just more convenient. Sure it's more expensive, but usually more convenient luxuries are. But with the licensing agreements with movie companies and major retailers, I don't see this working. Too damn expensive.

Instant streaming is usually the last to get movies. Take Rango for example. It's available now to buy or rent, via the DVD. It won't be available to stream until July 29th. Two full weeks later.

And with smart TV's now, more people are going the way of instant watching.

i payed the little extra for the dvd option by why bother. i'll switch to streaming only. i like it for the kids it's easy to put something on for them fast.

That is the best part of streaming. Turn on the PS3 and go to Netflix or Vudu, boom, instant babysitter. lol

It's been a gimic all along in my opinion. They looked to see that many of us like streaming so they don't put alot of current movies in the library. Then they see we get the DVD due to the inavailability of current streams and figure they can now go ahead and capitalize by charging double now.

I really wish they had an espn3.com app for the PS3. They have Netflix, Hulu, and MTV.tv all of which I use a lot because I don't get cable tv. (Much cheaper to pay $16 a month rather than almost $50.) I love espn3.com , but it would be nice to get it on my TV and not have to sit in front of my computer.

How much is VUDU. I had it on my old PS3 and maybe watched one movie. (the free one)

Is there a monthly fee??? Or pay as you go?

It's pay as you go. It's also slightly cheaper than the PS Vid store and Comcast On Demand.

The best part about Vudu is the $2 for 2 nights. At least for me with my four year old daughter. They have a decent library for kids.

The also put up a movie a month for $.05.

I really wish they had an espn3.com app for the PS3. They have Netflix, Hulu, and MTV.tv all of which I use a lot because I don't get cable tv. (Much cheaper to pay $16 a month rather than almost $50.) I love espn3.com , but it would be nice to get it on my TV and not have to sit in front of my computer.

What's MTV.tv? What's on it?

Also, speaking movies on your PS3, are there other sites that offer free movie streaming? There is crackle.com, but their library is very small.

Also, speaking movies on your PS3, are there other sites that offer free movie streaming? There is crackle.com, but their library is very small.

Try Project Free TV, I use it every day on my PS3, not every link they share works on a PS3, but usually there is at least 1 link for every movie and TV show that works fine with very decent quality. here is the link : http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/

So basically both of these sites just give you different links to try? And I found out not all of them work. Correct?

But http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/ just list the same links, but doesn't seem to work. Some mule site, or something.

Also, is there anyway to stop the PS3 web browser from asking me to run plug in?