First Gen PS3 Worth

I was in Best Buy today buying a PS3 for my boy. I got on the subject of having my PS3 since the day they first released. The guy starts telling me that my PS3, in good working condition, is worth $600-$700. Then he tells me even if it's broke they're selling for $200.

Anyone know this to be true or false?

No he didn't say where and I haven't had time to research it. I was hoping someone in here might know.

Hey Rock, screw Gamestop dude, I went in there yesterday to trade in my son's Wii and they were absolute jerks. He had gone in a week or so earlier to see how much it was worth and the guy looked over it all and told him $30. Wii, 2 controllers, charging dock, and 5 games. Yesterday they tell him they won't take it without the original backs on the controllers and even if those get replaced they would take it as defective because the little door on the Wii fell off in his hand so not even close to $30 for it. I let my boy do all the talking but I finally stepped in when I saw what was happening and packed it all up, dead eyed the guy, and left. I wanted to reach across the counter and give him a love tap. The kicker was my boy told me it was the same guy that told him $30 a week or so earlier. So we went to Best Buy and bought it instead. And they offer trade ins as well online right now but the guy said, in my town anyway, they'll be doing it in store soon.

What's UP Big D! Been a long time man and I see your moving on up in the gamer world here at UF.

I still have my original Fat PS3 as well & I've had it fixed 2x by sony for wireless issues.

I haven't heard of any high buy back prices but LET ME KNOW if you find one! LOL

What's up Crazmex? Good to see you back around here. And just doing my duty.

I will. Of course I told my wife and her response was, "But there's nothing wrong with yours, why would you get rid of it?" They just don't get it. Although, my boy just walked in and said, "Dad my PS3 won't play your ATV game." That's right boy my PS3 is better than yours. lol

The older model PS3's with the backwards capability are the ones that are rare and worth money to certain people. I still have my original 60gb with all the bells and whistles. But I'm gonna send it to Sony for a new slim.

If what this guy at Best Buy said is true you could sell it and come away with enough for two slims.

The older model PS3's with the backwards capability are the ones that are rare and worth money to certain people. I still have my original 60gb with all the bells and whistles. But I'm gonna send it to Sony for a new slim.

If what this guy at Best Buy said is true you could sell it and come away with enough for two slims.

Mine is YLOD. So I think returning it to Sony is the best bet. I can return it to Sony for $99 is what I was told.

All of the fat ps3 models are now available for upgrade as Sony calls it , and you basically send in your Fatty... and $99 and you get a slim. I will say that im pretty sure that they also have different precessing speeds (slim = slower IMO). I say this cuz i have a buddy who rolls over once a week to play games and when we play socom .. every time i miss the "lobby" screen where your supposed to be able to switch sides , while he always gets to see it for up to 20 secs. There are many other games this happens where i seem to load in 3-20 seconds later then him on his Fat ps3 .. and he has an OG 60gb.. so although the part about processors is a guess.. the trade in is true , i have done it. They will fix it for $129 too.. so you could get it back fixed, but they say that if its YLOD then you might get it again in a few months and warranty is for 90 days.. so its your call.

Ok so I have a fat ps3 (80 gb i think). Should I just keep going until it craps out or should I send it in and get a slim?

Basically if my fat ps3 craps out is it going to cost me more than $99 dollars?

No. I believe inadub sent his YLOD fatty in for $99 and got a slim. Correct me if I'm wrong dub.

no, my clan mate just got the YLOD on his old 60GB and sony still allowed him to upgrade for $99.

Yep. I just got mine back from YLOD, and they offered an upgrade, but I just wanted my fatty back repaired. They obliged, and so far after playing around with it last night, it seems to be fine.