Anyone else in the Starhawk Beta?

• Directors
Why can't we get all of this on a modern shooter?!!

To be honest, we don't know... so we are going to have to follow the games that will provide the proper platform for tournaments. Hopefully SOF Studios will be our answer for the Modern Shooter.

Edited by Shane

how is the beta going.. also i hope counterstrike global offensive has custom matches as it will have for the pc version.. right now i just see info that says they wont be having custom matches.. but i hope that changes.. that game would be a perfect game for this community. for all platforms.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the + but I don't see any D/L? ;-( ~ Oh, I know why. There was a dealine of 01/31/12. So I got the + for nothing:

Update: Today, Sony outlined more fully its plans for Starhawk's public beta. As we reported yesterday (original story below), PlayStation Plus subscribers will get in on the action on Tuesday, January 17th. But what about everyone else?

Well, PS+ subscribers will be alone to play Starhawk by themselves from January 17th until January 31st. The 31st marks the date that those with beta codes from copies of Uncharted 3 can get in. Then, on February 7th, a Sony/GameStop promotion on Facebook will unleash more beta codes into the wild.

A week later, on February 14th, IGN readers will have exclusive access to more beta codes. We'll release details on how that will work soon.

And then finally, on February 21st, everyone gets in. Remember, if you were already in the private beta that just ended, you'll have automatic access to the public beta

! Edited by CritiKiL

Thanks Shane. Yesterday I got it and those with PS+, 'There is NO Deadline' just like Shane says. I got ran over almost every time on that game! It's going to take some getting used to but if everyone is on it I can probably adapt ;-)

• Directors

Why couldn't we have Dylan Jobe for Socom, I see a completly different approach being taken with StarHawk:

http://community.us.playstation.com/message/37392186#37392186

Hi Khronikos!

I'm truly sorry you feel you've gotten the "boot". It has never been our plan to trade the respect of our Warhawk Vets for the respect of Call of Duty kids even though we *ARE* trying to make Starhawk a more balanced game than Warhawk.

I *TOTALLY* understand there is a tendency among some players to rationalize why we changed X instead of what they personally felt was more important. I assure you, there are many reasons that drive what we change and when we change it. In some cases we want to make a change in some area of the game and, for a variety of reasons, we may not be able to make that change on that day. Furthermore, we may not be able to make that change until a future patch is released that contains the proper code to do so.

The intensity of your posts certainly convey your passion and it's that very passion the team and I are so thankful for! If you didn't care, you wouldn't have written this post or all your other posts!

That said, I do think you and I have a fundamental disagreement with regard to a few topics. I know it just seems absurd to you that we would make changes to the Rocket Launcher over some other changes you want to see made. As you stated, you truly feel that these updates are useless. Or more accurately "utterly useless".

The team and I here at LightBox Interactive disagree -- no surprise there, huh ;-)

When we objectively reviewed the current state of gameplay in the Starhawk BETA, looked at the combat analytics and evaluated feedback from *BOTH* n00bs and Vets, we felt that an improvement to the combat effectiveness of the Rocket Launcher was needed. This was done to help provide another layer of troop ground defense agains Vultures and Hawks. It's not that we're actively trying to get rid of all of the flight gameplay. That is absolutely not our goal. We are simply trying to strike a more proper balance between all the gameplay modes -- something that we feel we failed to do in Warhawk.

Now I am certainly not attempting or intending to convince you. Your position is very well documented. My goal is to simply state that, even though you have a strong personal belief the Starhawk BETA Updates are "utterly useless", the updates are in fact useful to the macro-balance of Starhawk.

This is one of those points that we'll simply have to disagree about.

This particular disagreement does not in any way indicate that we are not paying attention to what our fans are saying or that we are selectively not listening to the Vets. We have made a number of updates, and will continue to make updates, on a variety of flight gameplay systems that were the direct result of feedback from our hardened Warhawk Vets!

But the fact is that our air gameplay in Warhawk was not in balance with the other systems in the game. The team and I love hearing all the kind words about our "perfect" flight gameplay in Warhawk -- we really do -- but it's simply not true. There were a number of flaws in Warhawk that prevented the game from really drawing-in and sustaining the volume of player that we wanted. We are trying to strike a better balance in Starhawk so that a wider-audience of players can enjoy our game.

Newbies and Vets.

The key here is that we are trying to resolve the barriers to entry. We want Starhawk to be fun for new players and not the brutal experience we delivered in Warhawk. And while I am pretty **** sure you would not admit it here on the boards, you gotta know exactly what I'm talking about ;-)

Certainly having systems in-place to help, for lack of a better term, "quarantine" n00bs from the Vets is a must. And our SkillScore, MatchMaker and some of our other protections should make a *VAST* improvement in that regard.

However, we do not want to sacrifice gameplay depth for Vets as an artificial mechanism for balancing the game for n00bs. That is 100% *NOT* our goal. But it is honestly a very difficult challenge. Its not about making it just like Call of Duty. Its not about adding arbitrary limits on in-bound missiles, its not about changing the flight mode simply to make the video trailers look cooler (non of which is true BTW). It's about taking a holistic approach to the balance of all the systems. Its a set of trade-offs plain and simple.

Some of the trade-offs are not going to be personally appealing to you or your play-style but the aggregate benefit of all the updates for the gameplay in Starhawk as a whole will result in a game that is far more balanced -- across all modes and across all players.

Thank you again for helping us BETA test Starhawk and if your experience thus far has resulted in you not wanting to purchase the game I'm very sorry to hear it.

-dylan