The Future of SOCOM (2011)

I firmly believe if Zipper/Sony had called SOCOM 4 something else it would have been a more successful game. Since they decided to call it SOCOM 4 everyone had expectations that it would continue what SOCOM is.

Whether or not there will be another game like SOCOM 1-CA it highly unlikely.

Socom is no more,which is sad to say.The casket was closed with Socom 4,the best we will get to play now on ps3 mp is confrontation.Least for now.

2012 is gonna be a great year for shooters. Especially third person shooters.

SOCOM may be dead, but 2012 may find a replacement.

Edited by IRISH BULL

The only way Socom revives the franchise is by listening to their fans instead of alienating them. They can satisfy the fans in 2 ways. Firstly they can do a HD re-release of Socom 1 with the S2 maps (or even add S3/CA maps) as DLC. That game would draw easily 1 million purchases, if not more.

The second way is by releasing a new Socom with its own engine (not the MAG engine) and incorporate the things we loved about PS2 SOCOM. Even Confrontation was a real Socom after the big patch, but it was a broken game for the year plus that preceded it. If they make a game catered to SOCOM fans and not try to cater to all shooter fans (like S4) it will succeed. S1 and S2 were the best online shooters in their day/genre. S3 was great, but a slight step back. Vehicles, larger maps, and subsequent camping that occurred scared off the purists.

I fear that they will do neither and Socom is but a memory that will never be approached again.

Sent from my EVO while goose hunting

Hire some Euro developer to make Socom Confrontation 2!

Hell, I'd even be down to hire Slant Six and give them unlimited time to do it. They made a better PS3 Socom than Zipper (not saying much), the problem was SCEA rushed the release by at least a year to meet a deadline. All it did was kill the game before it ever got going. Beta was unplayable. Game was unplayable until around Thanksgiving. By then most gave up on the game. The engine is there now and it wouldn't be far-fetched to be an 18 month project if not less. All that needs to be done is map builds really and user interface stuff, once the engine is set up.

I'll wish in one hand and poop in the other though...I know which will fill up first in regards to this franchise. I miss the old days when Socom reigned supreme. As bad as Socom Con (1st year of release) and S4 were, I still gave both a lot of my time simply because it was Socom. That will never be again, unless it is a straight S1-S2 remake. I will never buy another Socom without playing the released product on a rental basis now. It's a shame it has come to that, but who knows if we will even see another Socom period. SCEA is moronic to think there isn't money to be made by a S1-S2 remake.

Edited by o-BacklasH-o

Yep.... time to forget that franchise. The fat lady is singing.......

Sent from my DROID X2

Yep, she is singing. And do you know what she's singing? ~ She's singing, 'Fuck Socom'. No disrespect to those of you guys who are still playing it, but let's be real here guys. Aren't we just holding on to something that we as a community deep down know...is dead? I have been a true Socom supporter since the beginning, but only the Captain goes down with his ship and the Socom-Captain jumped off that ship a long long time ago. I played S4 three times tops, they never listened to the real supporters but went in "a totally-nother" (the words: another and totally, merged ~ lol) direction. So now it's fans and supporters have finally turns our backs, never to return.

• 2 weeks later...