For anyone who has a cat.....

....just wondering....but if you have a cat, how much/often in a day do you feed YOUR cat?

I was feeding mine twice a day, she's about 2 yrs now, and someone told me today that they just feed theirs ONCE in a day, about a can of food only. I don't want to overfeed her and just want to make sure I'm on some kind of good track.

Anyone here have some expertise to share?

My cat's not obese by any means, but she's losing some of her trimness and do not wish for her (or my wallet) to hit some weight-related medical problems down the road if she ever DOES get big from overeating.

It should be noted that she's an only cat and a house cat. She's not allowed outdoors.

Thanks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't own a cat now, but I grew up with them my whole life. My mom was the neighborhood cat lady, all strays welcome. I like cats, but my wife is allergic so we have a dander free dog.

Back to the cats. We usually just left hard food out for the cats and they ate what they wanted. From my history with cats, they usually ate a little at a time, unlike most dogs that will eat everything you put down in one sitting. We also never gave them canned food because it made their crap smell horrible and wet. Our cats never were considered obese either.

UNCLE-SID25 ]

When we had cats:

We would leave dry food out- Free feed all the time

Wet food 1 time a day.

A vet would probably tell you twice a day In measured amounts and do not free feed.

Yeah this was the same thing we did with my cat growing up. Mainly because that was the vet's recommendation. She lived a healthy long life, and probably would still be here if it weren't for those dreaded cicadas a few years back. She ended up eating one and dying of kidney inflammation.

But yeah, constant dryfood, and 1 can of wet per day should work.

Guest [iLL] Andawg

ON the 3 bags of different types of food we have there are different directions.

5-9 lb. cat 1/3 to 2/3 cup and the other was 1/2 to 3/4 cup

10-14 lb. cat 2/3 to 1 cup and the other was 3/4 to 1-1/4 cup

So basic answer is, a little in a bowl and let them pick at it. Do what you want as long as they don't get fat or aren't getting too skinny they'll be fine. And as I'm sure you know, They'll let you know when they're hungry.

It's going to depend on how big your cats are.

I have two purebred Main Coon cats. 1 weighs in at 14 lbs and the other at 18 lbs and neither one of them are over weight by any means. Both measure at about 3 foot when strecthed out and at just under 18" from back to floor.

With that said; I only feed my cats once a day. They each get one cup of dry food in the morning and they do just fine. I would make sure they always have plenty of water too.

Snake Doctor ]

It's going to depend on how big your cats are.

I have two purebred Main Coon cats.  1 weighs in at 14 lbs and the other at 18 lbs and neither one of them are over weight by any means.  Both measure at about 3 foot when strecthed out and at just under 18" from back to floor.

With that said; I only feed my cats once a day.  They each get one cup of dry food in the morning and they do just fine.  I would make sure they always have plenty of water too.

Damn, I wanted a Main Coon so badly....those are just COOL-ass cats! Couldn't find one though, and those I did find were in the thousands in dollars.

I ended up adopting Stitch for $50 and gave a homeless tabby kitten (8 mos at the time) a good home.

But I'm still crazy about Main Coon cats. They're just so cool looking.

also if u let ure cats outside,they will eat mostly small animals and bugs,but just because tabby maybe a house cat,if u let him outside for any length of time,they eat and eat good,so consider that when feeding.im not joking these animals our hunting machines,cool though,especially if they get a nice fat rabbit,yum they have to share those,or they stay outside fo the night lol

Guest [iLL] Andawg

My Aunt had a cat that was the only one out of the litter to survive a deep freeze. She used to hunt dogs. I swear the dogs around the area knew not to mess with her.

UNCLE-SID25 ]

Nothing against cats... But if I saw a dude walking his cat...  :-\

In the end this is how I look at it:

A dog is a servant and companion to man. They VERY much enjoy that roll.

Man is a servant and slave to a cat. They VERY much enjoy that roll.

lol I know because up to a few years ago I have always had both.

US25

I don't know.

I see an awful lot of people in Chicago picking up piping hot turds in their plastic-bagged hands when walking their dogs....which is why I think dogs always look like they're smiling. LOL

People also have to take time out of their day OR be home on time in order for their dog to be walked.

I've always, in MY opinion, viewed dogs as dumb, trainable slaves....cats more like independent entities in the household, a little too smart to care about a treat after completing the roll-over gimmick. LOL

But hey, I'm a cat-lover. Not a dog hater, just a cat-lover.

Guest SaTAnS_SoUlJa

my cat is a gangsta! true story:

My aunt is driving home from Kennedy Kreager Hospital..she lives in East Baltimore City...she as she is driving thru one of the worst part of B-more she looks to the side of the road and diggin in the trash can is a cat...My Aunt and my StepMom are animal lovers....so she pulls over and picks it up....bloody as HELL her head is all bloody and what not..and my aunt brings it to my house...and Cali has been with us ever since...i swear she is like an Attack cat...when me n her fight She draws blood..with her teeth (We got her declawed)

me and her box daily...she has a mean right hook LOL love her to death...my parents call her My G-Kitty cuz she wont playwith noone else but me....(unless i sic her on ya ;) ) She has 6 toes on both of her front paws and it looks like she has hands...and she uses them lol she actually grabs small objects its hilarious ill see if i can get picture of her on here....

Im a dog typa guy but I love my cat..

Guest SaTAnS_SoUlJa

here is My Sexy G-Kitty....and as everyone knows, every sexy chick has her fat friend, in this case her name is Angel:

This is them after a long day......SIKE the fat one is just plain LAZY!

044.jpg

045.jpg

This is them Fighting:

049.jpg

050.jpg

Those are my cats...Cali and Angel..Cali is the Gangstuh! lol