Battlefield 3 and the Unlock All DLC

Recently EA released DLC that gives the player to unlock everything on MP for BF3.

The 10 shortcut items are available now from the PlayStation Store and the in-game store and include these:

Kit Shortcut Bundle: Immediately unlocks all items unique to the four playable classes

Vehicle Shortcut Bundle: Immediately unlocks all items for all vehicles

The Ultimate Bundle: Immediately unlocks all items from all other available shortcut packs

So PSX Extreme wrote up an article asking How Do Avid Battlefield 3 Players View The "Unlock All" DLC?

And it is a very interesting article. But the comments are more interesting. Here is one example against the new DLC. And I see his point:

Im not happy about it. A level 2 killed me in my tank with heat seeking missles from a heli. A level 2! Then all the time i spent trying to level up my sniper i get outsniped by some douch who bought the pack so my brand new sniper i had just unlocked was outclassed by a low level he had a x12 scope while i had a x7. Dice and EA kinda pissed me off to be honest.

But then an old-school SOCOM'er chimed in:

I don't play Battlefield, so I'm not sure if I should have a say in this. Regardless, it is my opinion that paying to unlock weapons/classes/vehicles for competitive multi-player really shouldn't matter. Of course, I might be biased based on my history as an old-school SOCOM player.

If your ability to compete in an online shooter is dependant on having weapons/armour that is superior to that of your opponents, then it really isn't about skill is it? With the exception of SOCOM 4, every iteration of the game dating back to the PS2 days had every weapon available to use for any player, regardless of whether that player had logged 1000 hours online or 10 minutes. Whether you lived, or died, was based solely on your shooter skills and smarts. Whether you won, or lost, was dependant on how well you communicated with your teammates and how well you worked together. Your ranking in the game was based on how well you did, your level on the time you've committed, but never on factors based on superior firepower/perks/etc.

Since Call of Duty 4, people have become used to the idea of unlocking perks, or better weapons, to gain a competitive edge. For the average gamer, this tips the playing field in favour of those with the most time to play. If games like these are ultimately about skill, as veteran players claim, then does it really matter if someone chooses to pay to unlock these items? If someone is level 2 and repeatedly kills someone who is level 30 with the same weapons that the level 30 player spent hours upon hours to unlock, does that invalidate the skill that the level 2 player obviously has? Or is it more a reflection on the level 30 player that when the playing field is even they are no longer as competitive?

Personally, I would never pay to unlock content that I can earn with a little bit of time and effort, but I won't begrudge a player that simply does not have the time to devote to unlocking everything, in order to level the playing field, from doing so.

I could see his point too. In fact, I kind of agree with the SOCOM guy more than the guy pissed about being killed by a level 2 player. And the main reason I feel this way is because of MAG. I picked up MAG about a year after release due to it being on sale. But as soon as I logged in, I realized I was pretty much target practice for the MAG veterans. It had nothing to do with skill at IMO. It had everything to do with these guys had better weapons than me. Not more skill.

For example. In MAG you could buy extra health. And when I say buy, I mean credit earned for doing things via the game. So instead of starting at 100 points for health, you could start at 120 points. So essentially, even if I shot someone first, and I mean way ahead of them, they had the ability to take the damage until they had about 10 health points left and kill me. Or they had the ability to heal themselves before they died and I could not. It even gave a huge advantage when it comes to weapons also. Not just better scopes, but less sway, bigger clips, and fast fire rates. You could rank up EVERYTHING on MAG.

So I was ready to give up on the game. It wasn't fun, and IMO, wasn't fair. I wasn't getting killed because people were better, it was because my weapons were complete garbage. But then Zipper had a 256% XP weekend. So I played every single day during the extra XP. After I was done, I didn't unlock everything, but I was able to make my gun a helluva lot better and got that extra 20 health points. And when I say gun, I was only able to rank up one gun outta about 20. But that one gun was able to bring me to a level playing field. Black Ops was the same way. I rented that game two weeks after release. But as soon as I was able to "buy" better attachments, I was was able to hold my ground at level 4, or something, against people at level 20 or higher.

I had NO intention of purchasing BF3 because of what I was hearing from my other clan mates. Basically they were getting owned because their weapons were weak and garbage. And I don't have the time to play like some people do. Hell, I'm lucky to get on once a week. So how long would it take me to be on a level playing field? Or is it even possible playing one night a week? Nuketown Hooligans just brought this point up in their latest video. At first they were pissed. But then they mentioned the guy, like me, who has limited time to play and they kind of saw EA's point. Sure, they weren't crazy about it, but they accepted it.

So with that all being said, is this new "Unlock ALL" DLC cheap and lazy? I'm kind of on the fence about it. But I'm leaning more that it is not. I think the SOCOM player hit the nail on the head. If you get killed by a level 2 player with the unlocks and your level 30, was it because of his weapon or because he was better?

Edited by IRISH BULL

I like the Idea but I have special circumstance. I have to kids at home (2yr, 7mo Old) and I just don't have the time to put on the game anymore. I have like 2 days playing time on the game when the rest of my clan has over 10-15 days. So how can I compete with that. So being a sniper I just get raped all the time, that's why I have 2 service stars on the helicopter. Its the only thing I have ranked up and I stay in it lol. And also I work 4 months straight 24/7 with no PS3 so I could never get to the level to try to keep up with the rest on the player that have the time. Now the 40$ prices tag Sucks. The only thing I don't know is it a DLC and can It be shared with other PS3s on my account.

Edited by X-COFFIN-X

I have no issue with it, maybe because I paid $10 to unlock all the chopper and Jet weapons lol. Personally I would not pay $65 to unlock everything. The 2 best guns are the first 2 guns which I think was Dices way of helping noobs get the feel for the game, so I don't see the point.

After 1 year or so EA was selling BFBC2 ultimate edition that had all the guns unlocked. It gives the game a longer life cycle especially when they come out with the BF3 ultimate edition with everything unlocked in a year.

Edited by AnTHOnYxSoPRAnO

In the case of BF3, the only huge disadvantage you have when you first start out is with the vehicles. Like anthony said the first guns they give you are some of the better ones and all you have to do is get 10 kills to get a red dot and you are golden.

Im not a big fan of this unlocking crap, given that I am an old school socomer, however that is one of the main reasons I get on and play BF3 is because Im working towards that next unlock in some vehicle or something.

I feel unproductive if I play in the tank all game since I have already unlocked everything for it.

Plus its another way for DICE to make money.

I don't think we will ever get back to the old socom days where you popped in the game for the first time and you could load up your M4 with a front grip and suppressor before you have even killed anyone.

• Directors

I have said it once and I will say it again, I wish Lightbox would take over Socom... Starhawk has all weapons and vehicles available day one. No unlocks, no progression, etc. Build the building and get what you need.

If they would just do like the old Socom and ONLY give you experience rank that changed your insignia. Not make you have to unlock items that give different advantages. It does get frustrating because in rewarding some, you alienate others.

Or just give cosmetic unlocks, this way people can compete with all the gear upfront. And the only difference is how you play.

I miss the good old days when people were just your ordinary Rank Up whores.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

If they would just do like the old Socom and ONLY give you experience rank that changed your insignia. Not make you have to unlock items that give different advantages. It does get frustrating because in rewarding some, you alienate others.

Or just give cosmetic unlocks, this way people can compete with all the gear upfront. And the only difference is how you play.

I miss the good old days when people were just your ordinary Rank Up whores.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

That's the way I look at it. I think rank should be cosmetic only. Whether that's for guns, skins, badges, etc. Basically just bragging rights.

What is Ghost Recon gonna be? That game is promoting complete weapon customization. And not just scopes and grips. The length of barrels and magazines capacity I believe. The article I read said you could either make a complete ridiculous inaccurate gun or a real killing beast. The customization is endless.