Netflix dumps HD DVD, opts for Blu-ray

Guest Stealthknight
2. Blu-ray is best on a big-screen TV: Can you see the difference between standard DVD and Blu-ray? Yes--but it may not be as noticeable as you would think. Like all high-definition material, Blu-ray discs look their most-impressive at bigger screen sizes, where DVD can sometimes start to look a bit soft. Put another way: if your TV is 37 inches or smaller, you probably won't be getting a huge advantage from Blu-ray.

Caveat: Eagle-eyed videophiles--or those who sit especially close to their 1080p TVs--may well see a difference. Rule of thumb: if HDTV programming looks noticeably better than DVD playback on your TV, then Blu-ray will be a worthwhile investment.

Thats the only part I disagree with. You cannot compare these movies to HDTV. The picture you get on your TV depends on your provider which can vary A LOT. Even day to day pictures from the same provider vary. Im sure some of you go to your favorite station sometimes and see the pixelated image or wave lines across the screen on your standard and HD programming. DVD is completely different with the picture being soley dependent on the manufacturer and your TV Set-up. You can even tell which movies were made to be HD and which were only upconverted. I have a 32" and most movies look "slightly" better but then there are those ones that just blow you away with clarity. As for buying a player I would stick with your PS3. Even some of the most non-schalante watchers will want to check out some of the planned updates they may have with out-takes and alternate endings. Having these features is going to completely change the production of DVD movies within the next couple of years and its best to keep up so you dont mis out on anything later.

Guest korpkaos

I agree Shadow, as for things like price yes they will go down but seeing as the ps3 is one of the cheapest BD players u can get why not buy one. It has so much more to offer plus it has the ability to constantly upgrade to higher firmware, whereas most standalones dont. I really dont see how much difference there is between BD and HD-DVD at the moment when it comes to movies, but what is really gonna set BD apart is the amount of information they can put on a disk for video games the more content the better the games are gonna be.

Yea good info..!

I was waiting to let PS3 catch up, but it appears the 2.0 isn't going to be very useful to me anyway.

1. Nearly all current Blu-ray players are obsolete: The Blu-ray standard is still evolving. Most models currently available use the original Profile 1.0 standard, while some newer models use Profile 1.1 (which adds the ability to show picture-in-picture commentaries). Later this year, the first Profile 2.0 players--which add the ability to deliver online special features (BD Live)--will become available. Ironically, both of these are designed to bring the Blu-ray standard in line with HD DVD players, which have long been able to deliver these features.
Also I didn't know this.. HD-DVD already had those capabilities, & Blu-Ray is just catching up.

Eitherway, I just hope the battle ends soon.. I'm tired of buying DVD's ;D

smokeosama ]
GHJUYT ]

holy.... stinking.... cow.

i can now get BOURNE on BR!!

whooooo!!

;D

Where did you see that announcement? I have been waiting for a blu-ray release.

Universal make the Bourne movies. So I just figured that no HD-DVD in the world, would result in a Blu-Ray release. Though I have not heard any confirmation on the movie, the second post confirms Universal's conversion to BR. But yeah, I've been watching for an announcement as well.