Anticipated Movies of 2009

I know there are a lot of movie fans here so here is a list of a few movies coming out in the not too distant future that some might have interest in. Some you probably knew were coming and some not so much. Halo is the only one on this list that you can take with a grain of salt, but other than that one the others are legit. Finally QT is making Inglorious Bastards! This can also be found here http://www.coedmagazine.com/entertainment/5811

Brave New World: Ravaged Planet (2009)

l_0295d0ffac0a1744e89a764a1ca020a5.jpg

Plot Outline: After super-villains obliterate Chicago in 1976, those Americans fortunate enough to have powers must either work for the US government or go underground. Today, the legendary Patriot leads the rebellious Defiance against his former masters, the sanctioned super-powered operatives known collectively as Delta Prime. When the Primers capture Patriot, his friends must find a way to break into the toughest super-prison ever created-or watch him be executed before the entire world.

Coxblocker (2009)

cox1.jpg

Plot Outline: William Cox (Grace) meets his ideal woman, only to find his advances continually blocked by her ex-boyfriend/current best friend (Scott), who is trying to find a way to win her back.

Cast and Crew: Seann William Scott, Topher Grace

COED’s Take: Being that we’ve all had it happen to us the plot seems catchy, but there is a 99% chance the movie is going to blow. If Sean William Scott can bring the heat and find a way to make this thing work it could be a hot dorm room DVD similar to Just Friends.

Angels & Demons (2009)

angelsanddemons.jpg

Plot Outline: Angels and Demons was the reclusive author’s third novel after he gave up his job as an English teacher. It tells the story of Langdon’s brush with a shadowy secret society, the Illuminati, and his frantic quest for the world’s most powerful energy source, in the company of a beautiful Italian physicist whose father, a brilliant physicist, has been murdered.

Cast and Crew: Tom Hanks, Naomi Watts

COED’s Take: Most people that have read Dan Brown’s books feel Angels and Demons (the book) is better than The Da Vinci Code. If this movie is written and directed well it has the cast, plot and setting to be a legendary adventure film.

Friday the 13th (2009)

mask1.jpg

Plot Outline: Looking to reopen a camp for special need kids a group of councilors encounter a snag in their plans when an unknown person begins to pick them off one by one.

Cast and Crew: Odette Yustman

COED’s Take: What?! Friday the 13th is included in the list of most anticipated movies of 2009?! We included Friday the 13th because it will be a bust or a classic, nothing in between. Odette Yustman (Cloverfield) is a rising star, and if they choose to make it a traditional roll-em-out slasher film it will end up cheesy and flop… but if they go the direction of Batman Returns and make it a dark introduction to the classic character the movie could do well.

G.I. Joe (2009)

gijoelogoclean.jpg

Plot Outline: An elite military unit comprised of special operatives known as G.I. Joe, operating out of The Pit, takes on an evil organization led by a notorious arms dealer.

Cast and Crew: Channing Tatum, Sienna Miller, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Dennis Quaid, Rachel Nichols, Ray Park, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Marlon Wayans (rumored)

COED’s Take: I am very, very nervous to see how G.I. Joe, a staple of my young childhood, ends up. Transformers was decent at best (why does every Michael Bay movie resort to Armageddon-esque “the world’s gonna end†type storylines?), and a live action version of the show has me skeptical.

Still, if the powers that be listen to the fans instead of simply rebranding old product, we could have a straight-up killer. Cooooooooobraaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Halo (2009)

halllo.jpg

Plot Outline: After they crash-land on an artificial ring-world called “Haloâ€, a navy captain, his surviving marines, and a chemically-and-surgically-enhanced supersoldier named John-117 “Master Chief†must find out what the Covenant, the genocidal alien race they are at war with, are looking for on the ring. However, Halo holds more secrets than either side imagined.

Old School Dos (2009)

2003_old_school_019.jpg

Plot Outline: Mitch, Beanie and Frank return for more laughs as they open the fraternity doors to a new generation of college students.

Cast and Crew: The original cast is back for more.

COED’s Take: Frank the Tank. There’s nothing more to be said…other than it being a worthy sequel or shameless cash in. Still…Frank the Tank! Here’s hoping that Blue’s ghost makes a cameo.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)

wolverine.jpg

Plot Outline: Wolverine lives a mutant life, seeks revenge against Victor Creed (who will later become Sabertooth) for the death of his girlfriend, and ultimately ends up going through the mutant Weapon X program.

Playboy (2009)

playboy.jpg

Plot Outline: A biography of the life of Playboy magazine founder Hugh Hefner.

Cast and Crew: Leonardo DiCaprio…Hugh Hefner (Rumored), Brett Radner - director

COED’s Take: John Hoffman is writing the scripti and Brett Radner will direct what I feel could be a smash hit in 2009. Hugh Hefner is a living media legend, but not many people know how he got to where he is today. The movie will have its fair share of hardships and inspiring moments but we all know it’s gonna have a $50 million opening weekend because of the boobs.

But seriously - if Leo signs on, it’s a wrap.

The Brazilian Job (2009)

thebrazilianjob.gif

Plot Outline: Charlie Croker and his fellow crew of expert thieves head to Rio de Janeiro to pull off another heist in this follow up to The Italian Job.

Cast and Crew: Charlize Theron, Mark Wahlberg, Jason Statham, Seth Green, Mos Def

Conquistador (2009)

ant-edit.jpg

Plot Outline: The story of 16th century explorer Hernan Cortes (Banderas) and his mission to bring about the demise of the Aztec empire.

Cast and Crew: Antonio Banderas

COED’s Take: Historical movies will be a major theme of 2009 and this one should be the best of the breed. The budget will allow it to be shot on location so expect many scenic shots and plenty of Banderas’s patented romantico flare.

Sin City 2 (2009)

sin_city_2.jpg

Plot Outline: In the dark bowels of Sin City, Dwight plans to have his vengeance against the woman who betrayed him, Ava Lord, while Nancy is trying to cope with Hartigan’s death.

Cast and Crew: Johnny Depp (rumored), Jessica Alba, Mickey Rourke, Rachel Weisz, Clive Owen, Dwight McCarthy, Brittany Murphy, Rosario Dawson, Antonio Banderas (rumored), Michael Clarke Duncan, Michael Madsen

1776 (2009)

1776.jpg

Plot Outline: A look at how General George Washington led the war of independence against the powerful British army in 1776.

Cast and Crew: Tom Hanks - Producer

COED’s Take: Another historical winner for 2009. Expect 1776 to portrayed the American Revolution in a a way that has yet to be seen. The book by David McCollugh is one of the best I’ve ever read and although its being released through HBO we can expect this one to have a huge following.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)

0585527700.jpg

Plot Outline: A traveling theater company gives its audience much more than they were expecting.

Cast and Crew: Heath Ledger, Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Jaw.

COED’s Take: Heath Ledger died during the filming of this movie and it’s rumored that Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Jaw will fill in for the fallen actor. Due to its unfortunate circumstance, it should be successful for the right reasons, hopefully.

Inglorious Bastards (2009)

mob151_1145315754.jpg

Plot Outline: A band of US soldiers facing death by firing squad for their misdeeds are given a chance to save themselves - by heading into the perilous no-man’s lands of Nazi-occupied France on a suicide mission for the Allies.

Cast and Crew: Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Babe Buchinsky, Quentin Tarantino

Quentin Tarantino has been working on Inglorious Bastards since Jackie Brown and Kill Bill were in production, and during his publicity rounds for Grindhouse stated the script is the best he’s ever done. Strong words from a strong personality - but if anybody can deliver inappropriate zingers in a war movie, or (gasp!) hard-hitting dialog that doesn’t let up, it would be Tarantino.

Arrested Development (2009)

arrested-development.jpg

Ever since the epilogue of Arrested Development, where Ron Howard, the show’s narrator, revealed a tantalizing pun (did “Maybe a movie†mean Maeby, a Movie?), fans of The Best F***ing Show of All Time Ever have wanted - nay, demanded - more hot Bluth action. And it’s on the way…maybe.

Rumors have been flying about an Arrested Development movie, and it couldn’t start production at a better time: Superbad and Juno have propelled Michael Cera to stardom while many of the shows’ alumni not only remain successful, but enthusiastic about revisiting the project - if it happens. Mitch Hurwitz, creator of Arrested Development, has blown hot and cold on the subject since the show was canceled back in 2006. We can only hope that fans and AD newbies rally up and let it be known that yes, an Arrested Development is wanted. Can you hear us, Mitch? Hello? Annyong?

Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins (2009)

christianbalet4.jpg

Plot Outline: After Skynet has destroyed much of humanity in a nuclear holocaust, a group of survivors led by John Connor (Bale) struggles to keep the machines from finishing the job.

Cast and Crew: Christian Bale, Josh Brolin, Sam Worthington; Director - McG.

COED’s Take: Christian Bale in a big budget reassessment of a dying franchise? Say it ain’t so! If it worked for Batman it will work for Terminator.

Nice list..!

I would be better off if i listed the ones im NOT interested in.. lol :)

But top of my list would be:

- Brave New World: Ravaged Planet (2009)

- G.I. Joe (2009)

- Halo (2009)

- Old School Dos (2009)

- The Brazilian Job (2009)

- 1776 (2009)

- The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)

- Inglorious Bastards (2009)

Undertow ]

I would be most interested in Angels & Demons.

GREAT book.

For those not in the know, look at the title "Angels & Demons" on the banner and, if read upside down, it still reads "Angels & Demons."

A staple feature in the book, the ambigram (I believe it's called).

Exactly.

There are a lot of good movies coming out. Gonna be a lot of fun