Blu-Ray too Small for Metal Gear?!!? Jeez

Guest NEO-X

Guest Stealthknight

I pray to god you can skip some of the dialog in this one. I dont want another MGS that forces me to sit through a 30 minute dialog session.

Nope.. lol

It's already known that Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots will be dialogue-heavy – to an extent that could well outstrip its quite comically verbose predecessors. But the possibility of the amount of chattering outstripping even a Blu-ray disc is quite terrifying. Brace yourself for an earful come June 12.

They also may be speaking in terms of uncompressed files. Like, I remember when Heavenly Sword was coming out, the developers said that it had 11GB of just music. Though, we later found out that these were just uncompressed file types and could easily be half the size.

I could careless if the game is dialogue heavy. I enjoyed Uncharted, but critics were saying that there was too many cut scenes. I felt like it just made the game more cinematic and entertaining.

Guest NEO-X

Part of the magic of MGS is its story telling, and that results in alot of cut scenes, all of which are awesome..every time. No other game has the cinematic feel that MGS produces...

ShadowOfaSolja ]

I dont mind cut scenes, I dont like 30 minute story telling sessions with no option to skip

I LIKE how games are TRYING to break the mold of "made for sloths by geeks" mentality in the world.

Games ARE trying to become the next GREAT entertainment source in America.

Back in the day, it was comic books.

Comic books got supplanted by movies.

Movies CAN get supplanted by video games....but only if the CONTENT and story are there, and ONLY if it grabs more shares of consumers in the world. Games won't be heralded as the next and BONA FIDE method of entertainment until every demographic is included in the ranks of the players. Every age, every gender, every financial bracket. Like movies.

And it won't get there unless there is something to ENGAGE them. And button mashing is not engaging. Story is. The TRICK is to find the balance.

I applaud the effort that MGS is trying to make, but will have to wait and see if they do it successfully.

Undertow ]
ShadowOfaSolja ]

I dont mind cut scenes, I dont like 30 minute story telling sessions with no option to skip

I LIKE how games are TRYING to break the mold of "made for sloths by geeks" mentality in the world.

Games ARE trying to become the next GREAT entertainment source in America.

Back in the day, it was comic books.

Comic books got supplanted by movies.

Movies CAN get supplanted by video games....but only if the CONTENT and story are there, and ONLY if it grabs more shares of consumers in the world. Games won't be heralded as the next and BONA FIDE method of entertainment until every demographic is included in the ranks of the players. Every age, every gender, every financial bracket. Like movies.

And it won't get there unless there is something to ENGAGE them. And button mashing is not engaging. Story is. The TRICK is to find the balance.

I applaud the effort that MGS is trying to make, but will have to wait and see if they do it successfully.

You ever Uncharted, Tow? That had to be the most movie-like game I have ever played...

Guest [RiP] Medux

metal gear solid is possibly the sickest game liek ever made ..Snake eater for the ps2 ..was CRAZY such a good story line oo man and the ending was intense but yeah i dont have a problem sitting there for 30 minutes watching a cut scene they are normally wicked kool.. like the Final Fnatsy cut scenes !! those are amazing

I read an article earlier that stated Blue Ray can go up to 100GB with just a firmware update, no hardware update needed. I will see if I can find it.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/11374.cfm

So I wonder if they had to go to a quad layer disc if it would increase the cost. But at least all we would have to do is update our firmware.

Guest M16Assassin

I have to say the cut scenes and cinema are a key part in what makes the metal gear series the greatest SINGLE PLAYER games ever. The storyline is what keeps you coming back for more and thats why you sit up til 5 in the morning trying to keep beating it because you love the story and don't want to put it down. I love the metal gear series more than any other games around and I love the fact that blue-ray can't even handle a metal gear game. That just goes to show how much effort and time goes into these games! Hideo Kojima is a genius and these games are perfect in every aspect.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NEO-X

Im with prane on this one.... and to add to undertows statement, games such as The MGS series, I consider works of art.. The amount of time, dedication, and man power to produce such a complete and full game / story takes alot..

Hideo Kojima, is a freakin genius..

Hideo Kojima and crew are game developer GODS! The shit they do on these games is insane. I remember reading an article for MGS2: Sons of Liberty where they were talking about the amount of detail in the game. One of the things mentioned was how you could knock a glass over and spill some ice and you could literally sit there and watch the ice cubes MELT in a real time sense. If that's not freaking detail then I don't know what is!

I love the MGS series and I can't wait until the new one comes out. All these other game developers need to learn from Kojima and actually put the TIME into making a good game instead of pumping out crap every 6 months. You can easily tell when a developer puts the time into a game to make it good. For example on COD4, the guys at Infinity Ward did a great job and I read where these guys were so dedicated in making this game really good that some of the team would stay after hours without pay to keep on working on the game because they wanted it to come out good and it shows as we all know and that's because I hate first-person shooters....LOL!

If developers would just put in at least HALF the amount of work and dedication Kojima and his team do on these games, then we'd have a whole bunch of bad ass games instead of only a few gems here and there every few years or so.

IrshZ28 ]

The on-line portion of this game looks like it might give SOCOM a run for its money also.

Not if the controls are like the previous titles. MGS is a bad ass game but the controls SUCK for online play. I played MGS online for the last one and the graphics were stunning for a PS2 game (looked as good as a PS3 game) but the controls just sucked and I never got into it. It was 3rd person like Socom but no where near the same as Socom.

Guest NEO-X
SNIPER ]

If developers would just put in at least HALF the amount of work and dedication Kojima and his team do on these games, then we'd have a whole bunch of bad ass games instead of only a few gems here and there every few years or so.

^^Well said, and totally agree...

SNIPER ]
IrshZ28 ]

The on-line portion of this game looks like it might give SOCOM a run for its money also.

Not if the controls are like the previous titles. MGS is a bad ass game but the controls SUCK for online play. I played MGS online for the last one and the graphics were stunning for a PS2 game (looked as good as a PS3 game) but the controls just sucked and I never got into it. It was 3rd person like Socom but no where near the same as Socom.

I played MGO, and while the graphics, and the things that they built into the game were cool, the controls however were quite horrible. Im not too concerned about online play with the new MGS, i just want the game for the campaign alone.... Thats one game that I can replay just for the sake of better understanding the story. Hell I played through MGS2 at least 5 times, and Snake eater, maybe 2 or 3.

Either way, this will undoubtedly be Kojimas final masterpiece