Xbox One Reactions

Oh and the renting of games or getting it from a friend and playing isn't worth it on the Xbox one! I read in a article that the cost could be small fee or it could be the price of game! If you're ok with that then go on ya but I as well as others don't like that aspect of it. And most people , if not everyone have either rented or got a game from a friend to try it out!

I never said that anyone was going to win the argument. In fact, this entire argument was not even on which system was better but rather my facts to back up why Xbox was made for shooters and was a more competitive system for shooters. Shane's the one who couldn't understand my points and continued to make irrelevant points.

I never once said anything about the comfortability of the controllers. I simply stated that the Xbox controller was specifically designed for shooters. He proceeded to go with the completely logically flawed argument of "so you're saying I shouldn't play playstation because it wasn't designed for shooter?"

End of story. I'm done here. I'm trying to have an intellectual debate so I'm sorry if I sound dickish but that isn't what I'm getting

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Oh and the renting of games or getting it from a friend and playing isn't worth it on the Xbox one! I read in a article that the cost could be small fee or it could be the price of game! If you're ok with that then go on ya but I as well as others don't like that aspect of it. And most people , if not everyone have either rented or got a game from a friend to try it out!

Like I said, I wouldn't care. I don't borrow from friends and I don't let people borrow. That's how shit gets broken anyways.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Not interested.

Found it interesting that both consoles will be basically running the same processor, this will really benefit AMD and will hopefully generate some competition. I have serious doubts that the switching between "OS's" will be as quick as it was in the presentation. I really feel like both systems will hit their potential a year or two from release but will be bogged down 4 years from now. I'm assuming they are expecting another 7 year+ cycle. I do feel like the service in general will still be great for Xbox (Shane: Xbox, not XBox). Maybe someone can confirm this, I thought I heard that they said dedicated servers for all games? Also the possibility of offloading physics calculations for multiplayer, which would make the maps more dynamic (finally)?

As for the controllers, I'm sure yet again it just comes down to preference. Personally I wish you could take the left Xbox thumb stick and the right PS3 and put them on one controller for FPS games. Bumpers, triggers, "whatevers" doesn't matter, as long as the design allows you press the button fast. I personally am not a fan of the triggers, I could press R1 much faster than I could press the Xbox trigger for COD. Yet again, personal preference.

Speaking of COD on current gen hardware. Shane, I'm not sure you have an Xbox, but I used to be in the same camp as you on this topic. When it comes to COD on the 360 and PS3, hands down Xbox provides a better overall experience. When it comes to frame rates, a prime example is Black Ops 1. If someone dropped a Napalm Strike on Summit over the glass sunroof, your frames would drop down anywhere to 20fps. Xbox, constant 60fps. Granted this is due to the differing architectures and Sony's proprietary programming library, PSGL, as COD is built upon DirectX first then ported to PS3. Interestingly, PS4 will be using DirectX, meaning the only difference for COD on next gen will be the services. Where Microsoft has put in the money into the development of their infrastructure, I expect yet again for the COD experience on console to be superior on Xbox. But time will tell. However, if you have played COD on current gen hardware, no question it is better (in all aspects) on Xbox. I'm not sure some of the people here arguing over the pub competition aspect are actually qualified to talk about competition, let alone regarding a console they have never played on.

This should clear up some confusion over the used game topic, for BOTH consoles.

From: http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/the-death-of-used-games-and-control-of-the-second-hand-market-could-be-the

“Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile,†Microsoft’s Major Nelson posted on his site.

So that should clear things up. You won’t be able to loan games, you can play your games on multiple systems as long as you install your account, and if anyone else wants to “buy†your disc, or the license to play the game on that disc, they have to pay full price. They're not charging you a fee to play used games, because there is no longer such a thing as “used games.†Just licenses

Basically both consoles have realized that they can adopt the "Steam Model" that Valve created and make themselves and the publishers more money. How this works is the game you purchase digitally on Steam, you are automatically given a code that is processed and assigned to your Steam account. If I wanted to go play the new Metro at my friends house I would have to log into my Steam account on his computer to play the game. Only one active login is allowed per account so if he logs in while I'm playing Metro at my house, it will log me out. Other than not being able to purchase used games at a lower price, not being able to sell my games to gamestop, and get ripped off, doesn't really bother me. I think what we will see in the future is the selling of accounts (which is illegal I believe) or people will just share them.

As for UF and Xbox, I see no reason why it could not hold a tournament here. For one, from my experience, the Xbox clans are FAR more mature than the children that reside on the Sony variant. I'm sure with proper promotion from the top tiers at UF, an Xbox COD event would be easy to do and would actually go to completion. This is mostly an effort issue, in my opinion, and partially a grossly over biased problem. I don't actually see any benefits this community has with this "close partnership" anymore with Sony, and if that is what is preventing expansion then that is unfortunate.

When it comes to real games and actually caring about the quality of the experience, I'm not sure why none of you are talking about PC gaming. Being able to control the way the game experience on every level, dedicated servers on nearly every title, fully customize able controls, more accurate aiming with the mouse for FPS titles... just makes more sense to me. I can't imagine what could be done up here with a dedicated PC community, the possibilities are limitless. Besides, Steam sale in July and December are some of the best sales you will ever see for video games.

Edited by Pillorian

• Directors

Getting back on the topic of XBox One...

I know this was discussed on game sizes so I want to give you a hard number to think about. And yes I know this is a PS3 title but for comparison purposes we are going to use the game Last of Us.

Digital version of the game is roughly 26gb.

With a 500gb hard drive you can have about 19 games of this caliber before you have to move to external storage or delete another game.

I wanted to make sure people understand that this is a good example of what we will be dealing with next gen.

• Directors
Why is an IT guy complaining about storage space in a day and age when 1-2TB HDDs cost ~$100?

Because you do not have that option with XBox 1, no upgrading of hard drives only adding external media which adds latency I have a terabyte in my ps3 cost a whole $79

• Directors
It is interesting that Sony basically had the same plan for used games with the PS4 but decided to hold back and see what the reaction to it for the Xbox was.

Not sure about that, they have always said from the beginning that you could play used games and it was up to the devs/publishers how they would handle it.

With the whole HDD thing. I actually just realized that graph is a comparison of USB 3.0 and Sata 2.0, so I ran a test on my 1 TB Sata 3.0 and got an average speed of 150 Mb/s. So comparing that number to the one on that chart, there is roughly a 40 MB/s average difference. Which may seem significant, but when you are loading game files you really won't notice much difference. And since the average PS/Xbox gamer is not very tech savvy, they probably won't notice any difference at all especially considering that console devs have to hack the game anyway to get the most out of them. Now if the Xbox came shipped with a 500 GB SSD, then we have a whole different discussion on our hands. I have a RAID 0 setup on 2x 128 GB SSD and the average speed is ~500 MB/s. That makes a huge difference.

• Directors

it all adds up either way, when its all said and done, it is just an asinine way to set up... why on earth would you want to install your software on an external drive vs an internal. What happens if something goes wrong with your external drive? are you going to have to pay a fee to re-install it on a new drive?

Hopefully they clear up how its all going to work but right now they are not going the right direction for sure. And I am not 100% how much of the drive is used by all of the OS' installed just to run the all in one box either.

Not sure about that, they have always said from the beginning that you could play used games and it was up to the devs/publishers how they would handle it.

Well for one you can look at some of the patents Sony has filed:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/384922/sony-patents-pre-owned-games-block/

Or you can look at non-kool aid sites:

http://www.examiner.com/article/sony-dodges-ps4-used-game-questions-3

used games will function on PlayStation 4, but [sony] did not clarify whether players would have 'original owner rights' to second hand games, or need to pay for online passes to access the content.

I believe I read somewhere that EA made somewhere along the lines of 10-15 mil on online passes, which they recently cancelled, for used games. So you really think Sony becomes the god child if they say we are going to leave it up to the devs? I trust the devs/publishers even less than I trust MS to keep the Kinect data it gathers private!

..are you going to have to pay a fee to re-install it on a new drive?.

The key assigned to the game (electronically I believe) is assigned to your XBL account when installed, just like the way Steam operates on PC. I am basing this on the posts I shared earlier where they said this. So in the event that you have an HDD failure, you would just need to reinstall the game on another HDD or the old one if you are able to fix it.

So, Shane, I am also assuming you are not a fan of Apple's implementation of hardware on their laptops given this Xbox thing is bothering you so much? Hell, Apple has started soldering RAM into the board to prevent users from upgrading their RAM later. Being that they are the most successful US business right now, why wouldn't other companies follow suit?

The best thing consumers can do is only support what you feel is right. If people are bothered by not being able to upgrade the HDD on the Xbox One, don't buy it. If the always on Kinect function bothers you like it does for me, don't buy it. If Apple's hardware or business practices bother you, don't support them. But at the same time, I am not going to mock or make fun of people who do chose to support those businesses. They have the choice to buy it as much as I have the choice not to.

• Directors
Well for one you can look at some of the patents Sony has filed:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/384922/sony-patents-pre-owned-games-block/

Or you can look at non-kool aid sites:

http://www.examiner.com/article/sony-dodges-ps4-used-game-questions-3

I believe I read somewhere that EA made somewhere along the lines of 10-15 mil on online passes, which they recently cancelled, for used games. So you really think Sony becomes the god child if they say we are going to leave it up to the devs? I trust the devs/publishers even less than I trust MS to keep the Kinect data it gathers private!

Examiner repeated exactly what I said, its up to the devs/publishers Now as for Sony as a publisher for first party, I would not be surprised if they stick with the online passes. I thought that was a pretty easy solution, not the best, but easiest none the less.

As for the first article from Jan, they have already publicly acknowledged that they will not be blocking used games going back to my statement about he dev/pubs having a say in how it is done.

• Directors
The key assigned to the game (electronically I believe) is assigned to your XBL account when installed, just like the way Steam operates on PC. I am basing this on the posts I shared earlier where they said this. So in the event that you have an HDD failure, you would just need to reinstall the game on another HDD or the old one if you are able to fix it.

So, Shane, I am also assuming you are not a fan of Apple's implementation of hardware on their laptops given this Xbox thing is bothering you so much? Hell, Apple has started soldering RAM into the board to prevent users from upgrading their RAM later. Being that they are the most successful US business right now, why wouldn't other companies follow suit?

The best thing consumers can do is only support what you feel is right. If people are bothered by not being able to upgrade the HDD on the Xbox One, don't buy it. If the always on Kinect function bothers you like it does for me, don't buy it. If Apple's hardware or business practices bother you, don't support them. But at the same time, I am not going to mock or make fun of people who do chose to support those businesses. They have the choice to buy it as much as I have the choice not to.

Actually I have never really liked the Ram issue, it forces users to purchase a new product instead of giving an upgrade path... But that is the IT guy in me. My real issue with the 500gb drive is just the reality of the size vs the install limitations. Even with the 360 you were stuck with purchasing an XBox drive, but at least you could purchase a bigger one. Give the option.

Now at no point have I mocked or made fun of anyone who supports the XBox One, just made fun of the box itself along with just about everyone right now because its funny.

At the end of the day I want there to be a gaming console for gamers, be it PlayStation, XBox, Oya or whatever console is out there. Just don't turn it into a bait and switch situation where you are told you have this great console but to have it you have to buy a stack of extra hardware.

• Directors
So what you are saying is... just build a PC and play PC games? :D

I have a pc that can play games, but I do not use it for that. I will happily be getting a PS4 as it allows me to do what I want it for, Play Games

Well with the PS4 essentially being a tuned down PC, why would you settle to play games that will be ported to PC that won't even have comparable graphic fidelity to it's PC variant while being restricted with content? Also, I have yet to see a sale on PSN store that even compares to what is offered on Steam in July and December as well as the sales that go on throughout the year. For me, this just does not add up.

The answer to that Rid is simple. I like the console feel and the console community rather than DB nerds on pcs and the mouse and keyboard. Lol ill play minecraft all day on it but my xbox 360 and my ps are what I enjoy playing a majority of my games on. :)

hey iridium... what games do you know of that have been ported to pc? every game built by every publisher is created on a pc. for years now, the standard pc game has been written for directcx, which the xbox 360 utilized, and which is a huge reason xbox saw games and patches earlier than ps3 guys. the ps4 is finally going to have directx so there will be no more ports for the playstation faithful. but I really want to know where your info is coming from? name one game dreated on a console and ported to a pc