XBOX 360 has a failure rate 5 times higher than other consoles

Guest Stealthknight
WiZ ]

My original launch day Xbox 360 NEVER had any troubles..... And maybe it was 5 times as many due to there being 5 times as many more out there. :)

Its a failure rate aka Percentage, has nothing to do with how many are produced lol. I had one for about 6 months and it worked fine. Typically the ones that get the RROD are the one that people keep in tight places with very little breathing room and play it for hours without the cooler on the back. That thing was crazy loud though lol.

I have got the RROD on my box. It was never in tight places. Always ontop of the entertainment center by itself. It never was left on. It just one day froze on me...then I restart it and it ran for a little while then the rings popped up and it was done.

I wasnt happy, but they replaced it in 3 weeks total with a new system that I havent had problems with yet. What I find funny is that x-box is the only system that announced there problems. Im told about the yellow light problem on a ps3. Many of my friends have had to do the same as I did with my box, with there ps3. They both have problems, So I dont care too much.

In the end. Both need tweaking.

Rule of thumb for electronic manufacturing is a 3% failure rate. This is what is deemed acceptable by the majority of electronic manufacturers. Obviously there are some out there where there failure rate is MUCH better then that due to the nature of their equipment but for residential uses this is the norm.

Now I have heard that the Xbox has a 43% failure rate and posted articles stating the failure rate to be in the 30% range. They also had a NEW version of the 360 at a conference that ended up with the red ring of death while in the middle of the conference. That to me is not good.

I have not seen any major reports of PS3 failures. I know of some that have had failures but no where near the numbers that the Xbox sees. Is it in that 3%? I don't know but if it was higher then that you would usually see a report somewhere.

From what I have read in forums it seems that there are a lot of PS3 failures were from people that either kept it in the vertical position, older models have vent holes near the HDD, this may cause an issue. Others I have read have kept it in a tight location with little air circulation. Now in the cases where they keep it in a closed location, to me that is operator error. Not a PS3 manufacturing issue. And this MAY be a similar issue with the Xbox, I don't know but the fact that they have not solved that issue is a little worrisome.

that. x box didn't release this, a warranty company did against xbox wishes,never heard of ps3 yellow rings wow never,i have to agree with someone on here stated,alot of that xbox failure rate that high, sounds more like consumer abuse than anything,because my opinion there both good systems and if i could i would have both,but you do have the no common sense people who leave there system in such a state it wont last long no matter what it was

Yea i still think these numbers are inflated by Fanboys.. we have 3 in our house & they ALL still work. except one got the infamous fake ring of death..

Is it a "real" red ring of death? Somewhat confusingly, the true red ring error only has three of the four quarters of the ring illuminated. If all four are lit up, you have a much simpler problem: your A/V cable is loose!
a loose cable ..lol

I wonder how many 360's get sent in because they think they got the rings, when it was just a loose cable.

LORD_LUCIFER ]

My PS3 broke, took about 3 weeks to get another one back. 

This type of post has been known to get deleted on other sites LOL

Your not supposed to admit to a PS3 failure. ANd If you do. You must have tossed it out a window or something. LOL

It happens, Its life, its electronics and its going to have flaws. They all do. It just matters who is better and quicker at fixing them.