BigMoneyNacku ]

I don't think so.

I agree that the definition is unchanged, but the use and lack of respect has greatly changed. What was once unacceptable behavior is now every day banter. We as a society have grown accustomed to showing less respect as well as demanding less. My children get away with some stuff, but disrespect will never be one of them. It starts there.

People have simply become their own islands, not quite caring about the passing ships. They think "why respect or try to impress the ships when they'll be out of my sight in 10 seconds?"

The thing that almost EVERYONE....EVERYONE forgets is that......to BE respected, you need to HAVE respect.

The vicious cycle starts when someone who is constantly disrespectful thinks that they GET no respect (duh!) and they, in turn, figure they'll be like everyone else.....when in reality, they are truly the start of the circle of callousness.

As this trend in society continues, where not just STRANGERS begin to alienate strangers, but FAMILY begin to alienate strangers, the world in the future will be a VERY cold and lonely place as you get older...and getting older is truly when you need the most company and comfort.

I would say in general respect is the same level at which it has always been. As people get older we tend to view things as "not as good as the old days" in every aspect and way... Hell I mean by some folks view a hundred years ago it was PURE BLISS AND HEAVEN ON EARTH with no crime, total respect and a god fearing country. When in reality it was MUCH different and per capita a very scary place.

Respect is truth and equality in seeing value in your common brother. NOT seeing envy for monetary or social ideals- US25

Guest M16Assassin

I agree with the general consensus here that the definition hasn't changed but people just don't care anymore. I can say with full honesty at 19 years of age I am extremely polite to my fellow man and respect them. I always hold the door open, say thank you when the favor is returned, help people when I see they need it.

For example I was sitting in the car waiting for my buddy to come outside at a walgreens, when I say a very elderly man who was carrying out his bags and he dropped a 2 liter bottle of root beer under his car. Without thinking twice I got out of the car and laid down on my stomach and grabbed it for him. I expected no sort of payment or charity, he said thank you very much and we both went on our way. I say this not to pleasure myself but I think if more people went out of their way to help strangers the world would be a better place.

Guest M16Assassin
Undertow ]
Prane ]

I say this not to pleasure myself..........

WHEW......GOOD!

For a second there, I thought you liked getting on your stomach for old men or something and not getting paid for it.

LOL....sorry, I just could NOT help it. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I walked into that one. Dammit!! lol

I also don't think it has really changed the definition of respect. But i think it is how each of us were raised. I am 18 years and feel that i am very polite and i have a lot of respect for people older then me. I can't count how many times i have jumped out of my car to help someone push theres to the side that has died or helped out someone with a flat tire. I work with the public and i know that respect will get you the furthest. I'm not saying that all people are bad if there parents haven't teached there child respect. The media and and a lot of older people stereo type our generation. I am tired of it. lol, There are some good ones. lol

I think the majority of America (like most modernized countries) believes what the media tells them, how to act, what is good, what is bad and who is right and who is wrong... With the magic of instant news, the Internet and all other immediate mediums of bias, opinionated information being pumped at you since birth (including this actual post lol) it can make it hard to think for yourself and really analyze cultural behavior on the global level. ;)

Respect is something most Americans strive for IMO. Weather its the respect of their peers, boss, co workers, friends, teachers, students, family or loved ones- I think respect is as strong of an American value as YOU perserve it to be.

I perserve it to be very strong.

US25

I agree with most of you. I believe respect has not changed just our application of it in our society. I also believe it begins at home. Parents have allowed quite a bit more room for disrespect, wheather its to a teacher, adult, or someone of authority. Now not all parents, don't get me wrong but I find more and more the actual thought process behind respect has been lost in most. Now in my case I still say "Yes Sir" and No Maim", maybe thats because I was raised by a marine and a teacher, but my parents have always instilled respect in me. You have to show respect to get it, its not something your owed. I cant even begin to tell you how many doors have been opened for me by simply showing respect to others in this day and age. And they are always very surprised when it is shown, almost like an lost art.

Well I think that alot of the trouble these days is at home with parents. I see kids running wild in stores with thier parents standing right next to them and just saying Billy please don't do that. When they should give taht brat a good slap on the ASS. I have a little Girl and let me tell you she does not act like a spoiled brat when we are out. If she does act up it is a smack on the ass and I leave everything in the store and home she goes. This crap about time outs and sitting and talking to your kids is crap. I believe that my parents had it right when if you get out of line look out. We were tought right from wrong, that you respect your elders. How to use your manners. Kids these days are nothing like that, too many parents wanting to be friends with thier kids instead of being parents. Ok now that I have spewed that out, I think that the meaning is still there just not practiced as much.

A

crater1 ]

I think respect has lost a lot of it's value among americans

lost value over the years? maybe. get out of the country though; try Europe. In comparison to the world, we are doing O.K.

UNCLE-SID25 ]

Respect is something most Americans strive for IMO. Weather its the respect of their peers, boss, co workers, friends, teachers, students, family or loved ones- I think respect is as strong of an American value as YOU perserve it to be.

I perserve it to be very strong.

US25

nailed it. I could not have said it better myself.