This day in history

He was truley an asset to people of ALL races ! Maybe some day HIS DREAM will be reality. We can only do our best starting with ourselves who have not lost sight of HIS and OUR DREAMS to help brighten the future for racial equality. R.I.P. DR. KING May you be forever immortal in our memory and our dreams.

Its kind of strange how certain people who filled our hearts and minds with ways and means of a better life get taken away. HOFFA, KENNEDY, DR. KING , LENNON......etc. Kinda makes you think how these individuals had such an effect on us. Where would we be today had they lived ? I would imagine we wouldnt be in the RUT we are in now had they lived. I would imagine our government would be differant as well.......maybe.....better? I think so. Dont you ?

• Directors

I actually wrote a song about Dr.King called "You'll Never Kill The Dream". The last line of the chorus sums up my feelings about the man..."You can kill the dreamer...but you'll never kill the dream".

I'd like to think we've come a long way since his death, and that he'd be happy about our progress. Unfortunately, I can't say with any degree of certainty that he would be.

He was a man who faced a culture who hated him, with love and courage. And people who use King's name in the same sentence as Malcom X, baffle me. They were totally different creatures. He's was truly one of those people who literally changed the face of an entire nation.

All I know is that I was a white kid who grew up in the heart of Detroit, MI in the 70s. And, despite the racial tensions that existed in that city then...I remember that my best friend was John Clark. And it didn't matter that he was black. He had an awesome G.I. Joe collection, and somehow, I always got muddy when I'd go over to his house to play. I'll never forget that.

Good thread. Let's keep The Dream alive.

Guest [+30]PuddyTat

i am the 7th person to reply to this post. i got a question for the first six. without googling it, what did King stand for? what was he fighting for? do you actually care? where was this post on washingtons birthday? or licolns birthday? they did great things, and lincoln was gunned down. you gonna throw up a post on the birthday/deathday of every person in history who made a contribution to this country? i doubt it. why pick this guy? i am not saying King did anything wrong, and i have no angst for black people. i just want to know why anybody decides to bring up ONE particular person, and not everybody. IMO, if you are going to celebrate one, celebrate all, asnd do not pick and choose. what makes King any better than anybody else? i did not see this post on Easter proclaiming the goodness of God.

i am sorry for this post, i am drunk, and will shut up now.

• Directors

First of all...if you have to Google MLK to understand what he stood for, or what he was fighting for...you have bigger problems than why you posted in this thread.

King holds his place in history because he fought bigotry with his heart & soul....with kindness & love. He knew that you can't fight bigotry with bigotry, or bloodshed. He taught an entire nation, that the constitution was, and is, about the equality of every man, regardless of his ethnicity or religious beliefs. And that God had created us all the same, and had ordained that every man should be afforded total freedom.

Sure, Washington & Lincoln were immense figures in the landscape of this nation's history. And we have set aside a day to recognize them. But, every war they waged in the name of freedom, was waged with cannon & musket. Dr. King waged his war using nothing but his hope, his heart, his mind, & his soul.

In the end, he was murdered because he wanted the very thing that our founding fathers had proclaimed was the foundation that this nation was built upon....freedom.

He had enough courage for and entire race of people, and King won his war, without throwing a single punch.

P.S. We did have a Happy Easter thread here on the forums...maybe you just overlooked it. ;)

Peace.

~V~

In our society we have been trained for individual differences to stand out. Immediately we notice if someone is older or younger, richer or poorer, brighter or more stupid. We make all these distinctions about people and we treat them that way. We don't even speak with someone before we judge them. Then this weird thing happens when you do speak to them. You realize the ways in which people are the same as you, and not different. Finally you realize "I wasn't born MAXIMUS666, I was just born a human being, (the same as everyone else). All the other bull is learned along the way."

Many great men of the last century have fought for human rights, and we have come a long way. Yet there is still so far to go.

TIP-TOE ]

Its kind of strange how certain people who filled our hearts and minds with ways and means of a better life get taken away. HOFFA, KENNEDY, DR. KING , LENNON......etc. Kinda makes you think how these individuals had such an effect on us. Where would we be today had they lived ? I would imagine we wouldnt be in the RUT we are in now had they lived. I would imagine our government would be differant as well.......maybe.....better? I think so. Dont you ?

Their effect gets intensified because they are killed.!

Many people make big impacts like that, but we dont recognize it until the media blows em up.!

He was a great person, helped bring change with non violence.

It is really sad because there is still racism in this country. It may not be out loud like it was before, but it is underground. All you have to do is play COD or socom and there will be one stupid racist in there saying all kinds of things .... from the anonynimity of the internet.

It is time that we should all unite as one people, we are all americans. Weather your black, white or some other color, there are greater things to consider. We face a new enemy with the advent of terrorism, it is time we unite as one people to defeat them instead of fighting between ourselves.

Guest [iLL] Andawg

I do not wish to convey my whole beliefs in this forum due to my respect for this community. I will however, and there has to be a "however" with a beginning like that. I will however say this, racism is still in this country, on ALL SIDES!

Dr. King's dream rang true for whites every bit as much as it does for blacks. "A person is judged by the content of their heart, and not by the color of their skin."

Pres. Washington lead the forces that birthed this nation. And Lincoln also helped this country to get though it's adolescence.

It's now time to get out of our college years and stand true to the beliefs of our founders, That all men are endowed with certain inalienable rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Not just the ones that talk the way we do, look the way we do, or believe the same as us.

Well, this post has some what turned into somethink other than honoring a HERO. And thats ok, cause that HERO would applaud us for discussing such topics. As in my reply earlier this week on this post, I mentioned some other HISTORIC figures. I think we should NEVER forget the past, and that history has a tendancy to repeat itself in one way or another. I tend to believe DR. KING would be inviting to the idea of a little history reminder for some of us. So as I mentioned the above people that did not die in vain. Can we discuss what some of their dreams and ambitions were? How they were iimplemented and are we still persuing them? PRESIDENT kennedy had the potential to forever change the face of this great nation ! an imvaluable speaker, he captivated an audiance. He manged to say things that we were thinking , what we felt needed to be said , and of a brighter , clearer understanding of what needed to be changed in government. Sure he aasked what "WE CAN DO FOR OUR COUNTRY". But, he wanted and had brilliant plans for what the government could do better in collaboration with its people.....US ! Who knows now where and how we could have neded up had he lived.

One vital bit of information that needs never to be forgotten is the POWER OF KNOWLEDGE. I tell you . as an individual I am never satisfied or content with believing there is an end just because some one say's there is, I always question , I always dig for answers, and I NEVER JUST SETTLE. This is a trait that I believe all of the important figures of our century had, now I'm not saying I am one of those people, but ........who knows, are you?