Disgrace to our service personnel.

Guest Corruptor310

Guest Corruptor310

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080421/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/military_felons_2

I personally find this totally disgraceful, I think this "could" put an unfair taint on the service personnel that are not felons.

Felons are not supposed to have guns.

Felons are not supposed to vote.

They sure as f^&* shouldnt be allowed to don the Uniform of any branch of the Service.

see i disagree w/ those statements to an extent. ALL FELONS shouldnt be clumped together..let me explain:

i myself have a felony from back in 2001 for selling Pot. i wasnt even a dealer or anything.. i simply new someone who was and a guy i knew set me up.. apparently he had been busted and was in his 3rd year to be a Dr at Willamette U here in salem oregon. He got busted w/ less then an ounce and was lead to believe that if he didnt tell them where he was getting his pot that he would be thrown in jail and he would loose his shot at being a Dr. now most of us know thats not anywhere near being an amount that could jeopardize much if anything. Regardless he apparently got the weed from another fellow student, also close to being a Dr which he didnt want to rat on so he knew i could get it and told the cops that he could get some from me. He called me from a blocked number which happened to be a cops cell phone and set up a deal w/ me. He asked me if i could get him an ounce and i was like "sure i am actually splitting one w/ my roommate so i will be getting some tonight" well hours later my buddy came through and it was late so when the guy who was buying it called i told him it was too late and i would drop it to him tomorrow... well 15 min later i had cops at my doors front and back, stating they knew i had the pot and they had it all on tape.. later i let them in and they searched my place and arrested me for possession and distribution of 2 ounces of marijuana . I did 7 days in county and ended up w/ 2 years probation and drug counseling for the possession, everything else got dropped. I have since struggled to find GOOD jobs and had some troubles w/ probation and what not as well.. all of this for what i thought was simply helping out a friend in need..

beyond that i have never been in trouble for anything other then a few speeding tickets. i have a wife and a son and now have my own business.. mostly due to the fact that it was almost impossible to get a job w/ a felony for what types of work i was needing to get.. see a year before all of this i was in a pretty major car wreck and have a screwed back as a result, so i cant just do anything physical.. infact years later here i am w/ an Oregon Medical Marijuana Card due to that accident and my back being screwed.. so i am now legal to have and grow pot.. so the very thing that got me in trouble is now recommended for me by my Dr...

so i do agree w/ you in the fact that felons attached to violent crimes (fighting, shooting, killing, raping, etc..) shouldnt have "equal" rights.. cuz they have blown that.. but i dont think that all felons fall into the same group.. But at the same time.. where do you draw the line on which felonys?

-Affliction- ]

i think it a little rough to say its disgraceful, you cant condemn somebody for a few bad decisions they made in the past, and one of the main reasons the army exists is for protection and for killing when needed to so...

I agree.. send the murderers, & rapist over there & bring our boys home ;D

Guest Corruptor310

You should have hired a better attorney.

I find it disgraceful due to the fact that when I was in the Marines from 84-92, the Marine Corps instituted a policy of -- you get busted, you dont have the opportunity to re-enlist. It does not matter what the infranction was. It could be appealed as far as I know if you wanted to fight it.

So to see that they even allow felons in, is freaking ludicrous and hypocritical to me.

We as a nation dont condemn people...... for their actions for life.

Get back to me "if" Michael Vick ever takes the field again.

send the murderers, & rapist over there & bring our boys home

And then we end up with maybe only 10-15 Abu Graib type situations.

At a time when this Nation needs to lift its moral standards for the world to see....... that might not work out so well.

Guest Corruptor310

exactly.

are they going to conform to the military lifestyle? are the going to listen to military and civilian authority?

and dont get me wrong folks, i am sure mr shouldofgotabetterlawyer, might be someone who could conform.

but the thing still goes back to the big picture. those that "dont" make it too much of a problem.

example "a squad of felons burns down an orphanage thought to be militant hideout."

who believes them? how does that reflect on this Nation?

Look at the damage done by the half tards at abu graib. Imagine if they had been felons............

What you have to remember is that the typical age of a recruit is 18. They don't give us specifics concerning these guys and their crimes, but I believe that I can make an educated guess that they were young and stupid when they committed the crime, they've paid their debt to society, and now they have made a decision to serve their country, in a time of war no less, and want to move on with their lives.

Another thing that you have to remember is that some of the stupidest things nowadays can be classified as felonies. For example, the issue of teabagging (yes, teabagging) came up last week at a conference and a reservist who works also works as a DA in San Diego saw a picture of a guy teabagging another guy who was passed out. The DA said that he could think of 4 separate felony charges that he could bring against that guy for teabagging. Don't be so quick to judge these guys.

As far as the question of their ability to conform to the military lifestyle, the purpose of boot camp is to adapt them and introduce them to the military. If they have trouble, they will be put out.

Guest Corruptor310

"For example, the issue of teabagging (yes, teabagging) came up last week at a conference and a reservist who works also works as a DA in San Diego saw a picture of a guy teabagging another guy who was passed out."

Sounds like a couple Navy reservists (making some huge assumptions there) and yes I am joking. lol

I couldnt pass that up Squid.

anyways, I do see your guys point dont get me wrong. if the crime is not so bad -- fuck it let them in -- and I think that is a f%#$%# way to go --- the odds are against ya, and the loss that is taken will not be a good one at all.

waivers and prayers for all!!!!!

risk/reward risk/reward risk/reward risk/reward risk/reward risk/reward risk/reward risk/reward risk/reward

AMEN DEUTSCHER

AMEN

Playerdown ]

i think enough of my tax money is already wasted on putting them thru the system' date='then to pay his wages for life? I would rather have it used for more worthwhile causes.

[/quote']

well if this is going to avoid a draft I'd much rather my taxes pay for these gents to fight. It's not going to kill us anyways, this is a ploy to bring recruitment levels back up to what they are supposed to be.

Guest Corruptor310

Playerdown

did you know that in the state of IL, if you are a youth and you commit a felony,

you get free education for life? as it was told to me by my felon step brother. any form of higher education or continued education.

while if you serve honorably you must attend a state college to be qualified for state benefits. state accredited colleges only.

So in other words I pay my loans off, and douchebaggery goes about life.

You know these guys just dont go straight overseas. They have to go through bootcamp and all that. I have nothing but respect and love for our military and I think its an insult to think that they will just go over there and start trouble or whatever. Anyone who is willing to fight for our freedom deserves to serve in my opinion. This is the GREATEST COUNTRY ON EARTH! God Bless America

-Wu-Mrs.D.D. ]

There are too many "law-abyding" folks in our country that dont have the testicle fortitude or the selflessness to serve the greater good; anyone that is willing to fight and die for our country should be allowed that honor.

if i wasnt hearing impaired, i would be in that Marine Recruitment officer faster then u can salute :/

no offense the US military is great and all... actually no its not the men that are willing to protect those that they love are great but the military as a whole is something entirely different. look at the video of the guy throwing an innocent puupy of the cliff and then he laughs, that could have been a baby. so in the end it doesnt matter what trainging they go through, it all comes down to why they want to be there.

i dont know if this responds to anybody or even pertains to this thread but i had to say it.

A lively thread.

Supply and demand friends, and living in the real world. Taking in those convicted of crimes is nothing new in the military. But the sudden realization that those in the military (especially as far as Marines are concerned) are not your parents and not going to take any of your crap is usually pretty sobering for the wayward. Trust me when I say that the Armed Forces wouldn't be doing this unless it was absolutely necessary. And why is it necessary? Becuase enough who meet the standards without a waiver are not volunteering.

It's either things like this, or look for a draft in the future.

Corruptor310 ]

You should have hired a better attorney.

well considering i only did time at point of arrest.. and i was arrested on a friday night.. and monday was MLK bday.. so no court... and i was released the same day as my hearing.. and i was THE FIRST to get my license re-enstated w/o having to wait 3-12 months.. which is mandatory w/ all drug charges i think he did ok.. they took it at the hearing.. and that next week i had all my papers for DMV and i got my licence back.. not to mention i had 3 class A felonys for Dist/Poss/Child Neglect(cuz my roommate had a friend w/ a kid over visiting and was not even aware or around any activity other then the arrest).. and i walked w/ class c felony for possession mainly cuz my first offense..

Guest Skipper

Generally when it comes to crime and criminals, there's always a little more to the story. People make mistakes, take the responsibility and hopefully return as a worthwhile member of society. Now, if someone has a long track record and numerous probation violations etc then maybe they're not best fit into a military lifestyle.

Take the story of the poster who had the marijuana possesion. This guy got caught for doing something that many have done and do on a routine basis. He just got caught. He's paying the price for his decision....I don't think this situation makes him a bad person.

I'm not defending criminals here but just saying to try and keep an open mind on some of these things. My brother used to be a criminal defense attorney and now works as a sports agent. He used to say all the time that there's a lot of good people who go to jail.

UNCLE-SID25 ]

So dont worry boys! Before we put any real bad guys in uniform we will draft your ass first.

i lol'd right there. But we should bring the draft back, people Should fight for their country, not hide back at home and bitch about the war and how the troops are handling it. Second i get surgery on my ears im off to the Marine recruitment center faster then you can salute.