Student suspended for answering a call from his father in Iraq

You know, I agree with kids not having cell phones in school. I'm actually of the mind set that kids dont need cell phones in the first place. But times as they are I understand the draw too.

So fine they say their kids shouldnt have cell phones in school. Suspended them then when they are caught using them to text friends, call each other, etc. DONT pick the kid who was talking to his father in Iraq as the one you suspend. Anyone with an ounce of comman sence sees that as a cluster fuck waiting to happen when the public gets wind that you suspended a kid for talking to his father in Iraq.

WOW....I agree with kids not having cell phones but in this day and age, I think sometimes is a good security measure. If something bad happens in the school they can provide detail information to the authorities.....but if they suspended him after knowing who he was talking to, thats just terrible. If I was that father, there would be some issues at that school when I got back 8)

This is a touchy subject.

I guess part of me wants to say the kid should be able to talk to his father, special circumstances. BUT those rules are there for a reason and who is to choose who has the ability to bend those rules? I can see it now, but he got to use his phone to talk to his dad why can't I use my phone? Then here come the law suits, I am suing for $10mm because they wouldn't let me use my phone because I am female and they let the white male use his.

As far as kids with cell phones.

If you are in high school and have extracurricular activities and need rides after school I can justify to a point. BUT during the school day they should not be available! Jr high and elementary students shouldn't have them, there is no need at all.

being a teacher, i go through the whole cell phone bullshit daily. but when i ask a kid who he/she is texting, and they say their parents and provide proof, i wont say shit. b/c i can relate to them on needing to talk to somebody throughout the day. if i were that father i would have all hell come down on that administration for their actions.

SHANE23 ]

I guess part of me wants to say the kid should be able to talk to his father, special circumstances. BUT those rules are there for a reason and who is to choose who has the ability to bend those rules? I can see it now, but he got to use his phone to talk to his dad why can't I use my phone? Then here come the law suits, I am suing for $10mm because they wouldn't let me use my phone because I am female and they let the white male use his.

If you are in high school and have extracurricular activities and need rides after school I can justify to a point. BUT during the school day they should not be available! Jr high and elementary students shouldn't have them, there is no need at all.

If your dad was in Iraq, and you had an opportunity to talk to him, what lengths would you go to?

This is bullshit, regardless how you slice it. The teachers involved should have given the child not only the time, but a private setting to hold the convo. There is a chance that child may never see his father again, and at what level is it worth it to deny him that opportunity? I don't know about you, but I would feel like one large ass if I was the teacher of this boy and his father didn't make it out of combat alive.

Both my 12 ad 14 yr old daughters have cell phones. The older one HAS abused the privelidge at school, but instead of just taking it away, we turned her into the school principal. They have them because between Orchestra, Ballet, and cheerleading they lead very active after school lives. And I want them to have the ability to notify authorities in situations where they are in danger. Lets face it, we don't live in the same time and place we used to.

Tool_Minion ]
SHANE23 ]

If your dad was in Iraq, and you had an opportunity to talk to him, what lengths would you go to?

This is bullshit, regardless how you slice it. The teachers involved should have given the child not only the time, but a private setting to hold the convo. There is a chance that child may never see his father again, and at what level is it worth it to deny him that opportunity? I don't know about you, but I would feel like one large ass if I was the teacher of this boy and his father didn't make it out of combat alive.

Both my 12 ad 14 yr old daughters have cell phones. The older one HAS abused the privelidge at school, but instead of just taking it away, we turned her into the school principal. They have them because between Orchestra, Ballet, and cheerleading they lead very active after school lives. And I want them to have the ability to notify authorities in situations where they are in danger. Lets face it, we don't live in the same time and place we used to.

Ok so who justifies who can talk to who? I understand he is in Iraq but where does it end? The kid shouldn't have even had his cell phone with him let alone on in the classroom!

With the way people in this country are now I can easily imagine someone suing because they did or didn't get to use the phone. The teacher did the right thing by following rules. They created the rule and the teacher followed it if he/she didn't there would be a precedence and everyone and anyone who had a cell would be able to keep it on and active because one person was allowed.

Now if it was that important, the father should have called the school, the office should have called the kid down to the office and let them talk there. Just like it was back before Cell phones. Problem solved.

Think about this too. What about EVERY kid that has a cop as a parent has the same risk everyday that they may never see their parent again. Are you going to let ALL of them have cells in class too? Or how about airline pilots, firefighters or any other dangerous job, what about them?

lol ok shane what if ur dad was in iraq and u knew that he could die any day and u had ur cell phone with u in school what would u do. i dont fucking care about the rules school laws are facist any ways. if u actully read the school laws that they have its like the school is its own country.

well i use my phone in school, the thing is what teachers are scared as far as i have been told is that you can cheat with cellphones which is bullcrap, the other thing is that it is really messed up letting the kid talk to his parents in my school, muslims get special privilages for praying, on jewish holidays no school and if they didnt allow a kid to talk to his dad people in my school would go mad, and this is a public school in ny btw.

All good points Shane. I can see your logic, and it does make sense.

On the other hand, to compaire ANY of the jobs you mentioned to being an enlisted soldier in an ongoing WAR, is not fair. I have no stats to back this up, but I would wager that the amount of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afganistan compaired to the loss of life in any of the other mentioned ( P.O., Firefighter, Pilot) groups would be staggering. I'm not degrading what these folks do, just think your compairing apples to oranges there.

As far as the father NOT calling the school, depending on what he's doing in the military, he probably doesn't HAVE access to a line too often. If he's given a set amount of time to talk to his loved ones, well that may be the quickest way to reach them. I would hate to have 5 minutes, only to sit on hold for 4 and a half.

Don't get me wrong, I feel for the kid and his father but if you make one exception then everyone wants it too. Where do you draw the line?

My dad served in Vietnam, was that any different? I didn't get special treatment, not that we had cell phones, but I wasn't given time to read a letter in class or anything. Times have changed and instead of having thousands of different rules they make a blanket one and no one is above it. Is it right or wrong? Who knows but bottom line is the school followed that rule.

And as far as the other occupations. His dad is in Iraq for 2,3 or 4 years? These others have 20-30 years day in day out? I know it is not apples to apples but you should get the idea.

BTW - in a case like this why couldn't the kid gone to the office and said - "My dad is in Iraq and is going to call me, can I have a note or permission to take the call?" If they set something up with everyone knowing it could have saved a lot of hassles too.

Well again, I totally see where your coming from. I just know that rules are put in place to ensure the general public stays safe, right? You never make a rule to be an asshole, it has a general reason behind it to ensure public safety.

If all the kids are on their phones, well no one learns, the teacher has no control over his/her class, and it makes for a nightmare situation.

On the same point though, our humanity and decency should be evolved enough to recognise the difference between a possible bad situation and one that serves a purpose.

How could you look at a young man and tell him he cannot speak to his own father? I just couldn't man.

And as far as how many years the soldier has served, versus that of a law enforcement officer, well I would bet that the officer who uses his weapon more than once in a career is more of the exception than the rule. I don't think that is the same as a soldier's life.

When you see your Dad, thank him for me. I appreciate the men and women who served in ALL wars, not just the justified ones.

My real name is Wes so you don't have to tell him someone named Tool_Minion says thanks. :)